UK a great place for Americans to retire.....if you can get in

Cars are wider than they were when most garages were built. A Morris Minor was just 60" wide. Even the small hatchbacks of today, like a Ford Fiesta, are nearly 70" wide. There's your extra foot.

Maybe learn tight parking from this guy.

I love that video!!

That little car reminded me of the bubble car from the 1960's. Small but could take a whole family on a camping trip.

Cars are wider than they were when most garages were built. A Morris Minor was just 60" wide. Even the small hatchbacks of today, like a Ford Fiesta, are nearly 70" wide. There's your extra foot.

Maybe learn tight parking from this guy.

[youtube]iMWHYBi7kG8[/youtube]

Oh....I understand the facts. I just don't understand why newer houses don't have garages that are that 10" wider. My wife says it's so they can pack more houses in a limited area (which I agree with).....but I think there is still a market for housing areas with bigger garages but just charge a little more.

Oh....I understand the facts. I just don't understand why newer houses don't have garages that are that 10" wider. My wife says it's so they can pack more houses in a limited area (which I agree with).....but I think there is still a market for housing areas with bigger garages but just charge a little more.

Perhaps somebody thought people were all going to rush out and buy 'Smart' cars?

This is the view from what will be my office.

I see the conservatory salespeople have been busy.......two things I hate about UK houses....add on conservatories and "loft conversions".

The Sun Inn (Norwood) is always a good place for a pint......although I haven't been up to Tan Hill(http://tanhillinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/naked1.jpg-pwrt2.jpg) for a long time. No....that's not me....

A pub I visited a lot as a teenager was the Lion Inn on Blakey Rigg (North York Moors). When I rode my bike from London to Middlesbrough a few years ago the final day started in Malton and I went over the moors and stopped at the Lion for lunch. Here are some pictures of that day and some of the beautiful countryside on Alan's doorstep.

Morning start in Malton, that's me:

hardday.jpeg

Passing Castle Howard:

howard.jpeg

Hutton-le-Hole
hutton.jpeg

A typical summers day on the moors:

ontop.jpeg

The Lion Inn for lunch:

sunshine.jpeg

Descent into Westerdale:

hilly.jpeg

Almost home

topp.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw a HHI from two months ago -- catching up on them.

A young couple moves to Edinburgh to be in Europe. They are travel bloggers and they sell T-shirts and cups online.

They choose a 1 bedroom apt. 30 minutes south of the city center for $675 a month, which is below their target budget of $750. So they go for the budget to have more money for intra-Europe travel.

They could have gotten a 2-bedroom in the city center for $850.

Pretty affordable if you use it as a base for flights to more sunny parts of Europe.

Back
Top Bottom