Join Early Retirement Today

UK leaving EU, buying opportunities ?
Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

UK leaving EU, buying opportunities ?

Might be time to loosen the old purse strings and look for some deals.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely time to buy.
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know a few board members, including myself have some trips to England coming up is anyone considering getting some British pounds, it was bouncing around in the 1.30 area for a time last night.

I go in November and am wondering if I should just get some pounds from my bank.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I know a few board members, including myself have some trips to England coming up is anyone considering getting some British pounds, it was bouncing around in the 1.30 area for a time last night.

I go in November and am wondering if I should just get some pounds from my bank.
Once you have the pounds, do you just put them in a mattress and hope they go up in value? Is there a transaction fee? How much is the percentage to get in and out of physical currency? It seems like you would have to buy a LOT to make up for the transaction fee(s).

Or is it better to just buy foreign currency on the stock exchanges? Or a British ETF? Or just a S&P ETF?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Once you have the pounds, do you just put them in a mattress and hope they go up in value? Is there a transaction fee? How much is the percentage to get in and out of physical currency? It seems like you would have to buy a LOT to make up for the transaction fee(s).

Or is it better to just buy foreign currency on the stock exchanges? Or a British ETF? Or just a S&P ETF?
These pounds would be spent in England...it would only be enough for personal vacation use. I usually just ATM it but was thinking around getting them from my bank.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
These pounds would be spent in England...it would only be enough for personal vacation use. I usually just ATM it but was thinking around getting them from my bank.
It will cost you an additional 5 to 6%.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

Never mind the currency, what about equities?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It will cost you an additional 5 to 6%.
I know, I wonder if it would be worth it, the pound was at a 32 year low last night. At 1.30 it would cost me around 1.37...that seems pretty reasonable and also eliminates some hassle such as ATM foul-ups, chip and pin mistakes and such.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Never mind the currency, what about equities?
Might be a good dip. Not sure it will be as good of a dip as we got at the beginning of the year though.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We don't even know for sure whether the UK *will* leave the EU. This was a non-binding advisory vote, though it does put some pressure on Parliament. The uncertainty may produce more buying opportunities than the actual event itself would.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Might be a good dip. Not sure it will be as good of a dip as we got at the beginning of the year though.
Financial services and housing in the UK is getting a good clobbering.

Double digit drops there, up to 30% in GBP.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Financial services and housing in the UK is getting a good clobbering.

Double digit drops there, up to 30% in GBP.
I recall watching the Rob Arnott video a few weeks ago and him mentioning that UK PE values were very low with astounding expected returns (~8%). I guess the market did price some of the risk in and now it showed up.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ogy-82209.html
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #13

Yesterday : Boy, I'm a genious for being so heavily allocated to foreign (about 45%)

This morning : Boy, I really shouldn't be so heavily invested in foreign, what am I thinking

The last hour : Oh look, there is a bit of spare cash in one of my accounts, lets buy some more foreign (VSS).
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Think I'll spend my cash on a UK golf trip
Old 06-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought some VSS and VEA. Nothing life changing. Not super worried or excited. I think this is more hooplah than substance at this point. Of course... could be start of a bigger change which I also can't control so...

I guess onward

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #16

Put a few buy orders in this morn, with limits. But the sale/corrections wasn't as deep as the press noise would lead one to believe. Doubt if any will be executed today. Revisit next week
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #17

I think its a very good time to buy overseas securities if you can stomach a rocky road. European indexes got pounded in absolute terms and the dollar strengthened so your purchasing power went up. (Of course, existing holding also got spanked extra hard as well.)

I think it will be bumpy but these things are usually overdone in the near term. Of course, the next time Greece, Spain or someone else wobbles there will be completely hyperventilating that the EU/Euro is about implode.

Still, I intend to go shopping.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I just put in an order to clean out my MM account and buy international... unfortunately not a lot of $$$$ as I rebalanced recently but I know a sale when I see one.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Never mind pounds; what about euros? Everything EU must be taking a hit, or about to.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Yesterday : Boy, I'm a genious for being so heavily allocated to foreign (about 45%)

This morning : Boy, I really shouldn't be so heavily invested in foreign, what am I thinking

The last hour : Oh look, there is a bit of spare cash in one of my accounts, lets buy some more foreign (VSS).

+1

I have an even split between US and International equities. I haven't done poorly, but I would have done much better if I held less international. But I know the minute I change my allocation, the US would start lagging. So I guess it's time to buy some more International.