Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
My insurance agent will only give me a quote for an umbrella policy only if I increase my liability limits on my car insurance.
Same here. And they told me that if I get rid of my car they will no longer be able to provide the umbrella coverage. For some reason, they can't attach it to the home policy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Same here. And they told me that if I get rid of my car they will no longer be able to provide the umbrella coverage. For some reason, they can't attach it to the home policy.
Can you get insurance for driving tied to you (the driver) and not to a car?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One issue that some people may be having is they aren't getting insurance with an independent agent (who places coverage with many insurers). Rather, they get insurance from agents who only write coverage for one insurer. So, if you get your coverage through a State Farm agent they aren't going to offer you coverage through, say, Safeco or Geico.

Personally I always get my insurance through an independent agent who can place with many insurers. So if X insurer only wants to write umbrella coverage if they also have the home and auto, the agent can go to Y insurer who doesn't have that limitation. When you deal with a non-independent agent then you have the issue of they may have only one option to offer you.

Even if you use an independent agent, it is perfectly OK to go to a different independent agent to get alternative quotes. I've done that as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a bit of esoterica, but you can buy something called a personal non-owned auto policy. If you didn't own a car, but say you rented frequently and didn't want to pay the stiff charge of the rental company for liability cover. With this in hand, I think you could find a company to provide Umbrella Cover for you.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
This is a bit of esoterica, but you can buy something called a personal non-owned auto policy. If you didn't own a car, but say you rented frequently and didn't want to pay the stiff charge of the rental company for liability cover. With this in hand, I think you could find a company to provide Umbrella Cover for you.
Yeah, that's what I was going for 3 posts up.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #26

I have it with my auto insurance provider, however, when my daughter was on my insurance and had several accidents they would not extend the umbrella insurance and referred me to another company.

She went off on her own and got auto and umbrella insurance with the same company that denied me umbrella because of her accidents.

Not much logic.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a question about Umbrella policies would they cover most situations involving tenants. Example a tenant has friend over who injures himself on my property?
Tenant sues claiming an eviction was due to age discrimination or disability.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
I have a question about Umbrella policies would they cover most situations involving tenants. Example a tenant has friend over who injures himself on my property?
Tenant sues claiming an eviction was due to age discrimination or disability.
Yes, Umbrella policies often cover tenant issues. It is one of the two primary ways (the other being an LLC) that landlords often protect themselves.

For specific questions about what exactly they cover, consult an insurance agent on the policy coverage, but I know they do cover most of those issues, such as injuries.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #29

I have all my coverage with state farm and their prices including umberella, home, rental unit, and auto have always been cheaper than I could get anywhere else. recently I talked to farm bureau insurance about a quote, they matched state farm and also had the benefit of having only one deductible if multiple claims were from one incident. hail, tornado etc. both houses, all 3 autos, would all be under one deductible. I haven't changed because I have been with state farm for 30 years and feel comfortable there, but am thinking on it because once you have a claim you are not talkiing to your agent anymore but with an adjuster and who knows what he will be like. I think there is something to be said for loyalty but am I getting the same consideration from the insurance company I have paid for years? I also have an umberella with them but as previously stated I had to raise the liability on my auto policies.