Join Early Retirement Today

Umbrella Liability Policy
Old 10-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

had a $10m Umbrella policy through my former megacorp for years. They finally took me off the coverage recently and I need to get a new one.

What levels do people have here? Do you cover 100% of your net worth or just some portion of it?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A few past threads on the subject:

Umbrella insurance questions????
Umbrella Policy Fact Finding ....initial information
Umbrella Insurance recommendations.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

I don't cover 100% - but enough that the insurance company lawyers would fight any claims against me. For me, that was $2M.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
had a $10m Umbrella policy through my former megacorp for years. They finally took me off the coverage recently and I need to get a new one.

What levels do people have here? Do you cover 100% of your net worth or just some portion of it?

$2M
Old 10-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post

You cannot cover your net worth. If somebody gets award higher then insurance limit rest comes from your net worth.

But few million dollar coverage will motivate insurance company to make process pretty difficult.

It is also advisable to keep max in 401k, House Homestead, Annuities if living in Florida, maybe trust fund.... so they are out of creditors reach.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread prompted me to investigate if IRA's are protected from creditors. In Missouri, it appears they are. This covers about 2/3 of our assets, but still leaves a significant amount of money exposed. We have never had an umbrella policy, but it sounds like a good idea to have enough to get the attention of the insurance lawyers. We intend to look in to it.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
This thread prompted me to investigate if IRA's are protected from creditors. In Missouri, it appears they are. This covers about 2/3 of our assets, but still leaves a significant amount of money exposed. We have never had an umbrella policy, but it sounds like a good idea to have enough to get the attention of the insurance lawyers. We intend to look in to it.
Double check. Inherited IRAs are totally accessible to creditors.

401k has full protection. No questions, no doubts, does not matter where you live and who's 401k it is.

But you will have a spousal protection. Your kids will not have it. (If they inherit it)
Old 10-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post

401k has full protection. No questions, no doubts, does not matter where you live and who's 401k it is.

But you will have a spousal protection. Your kids will not have it. (If they inherit it)
At this point, I am worried about myself and DW. If DS inherits, he can worry about an umbrella policy to protect it! He does live out of state, so the MO law would not apply.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
At this point, I am worried about myself and DW. If DS inherits, he can worry about an umbrella policy to protect it! He does live out of state, so the MO law would not apply.
That is a Federal Law together with protection limit which in 2016 is $1,245,475.

IRA provides surprisingly weaker protection then 401k.

I am out of this thread . Think carefully when converting 401k to IRA.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We have $10 million. Just over 50% of NW. Have been told a larger policy would require getting more than one company to write because most won't do larger individual policies. Haven't visited that issue in a number of years. Cost is about $1,600 a year, just us two on the policy now that the kids have moved out on their own. Small price to pay I think.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post

If kids inherit an IRA in a properly drafted and administered trust, they will have full asset protection. The best approach is an accumulation trust funded with inherited Roth assets. Whether or not an independent trustee is required will vary from state to state.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

$1million umbrella here. Once kids are completely gone will probably drop it. We plan to only have 401k, IRA, and pension money with no other assets (except our personal items and maybe a couple bicycles).
Old 10-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

$2 million here for only $36/month. Our state has lousy IRA protection of just $40,000 or something absurd, so I'm also looking into transferring the IRAs to our 403bs. That transfer would have the added benefit of giving us a bigger nut to tap if we leave our employers after age 55 and want to FIRE. I suppose this is also an argument for keeping the mortgage rather than paying off the house early but I haven't researched that aspect of liability exposure yet for my lawyer-friendly state.

One thing I've wondered about is whether, despite all of those protections, a judge could garnish one's 401k/403b income, even if they can't touch the principle. Does anyone know?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't have an actual full umbrella but do have an additional $1MM Liability policy on our rental house in FL for $700/yr (above what comes with our Homeowner's policy of $300K personal liability).
Will be getting a full umbrella insurance package when we retire to the house in 2017, probably shoot for $2MM.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #15

We have $5M of umbrella coverage and an additional $1M the underlying liability policy. We'd have to go to a secondary insurer to get more than the $6M covered by USAA. We're going through our annual planning process with them, so I'll see if they bring up the need to look into that.

Enjoy life!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just increased ours from 2MM to 4MM. One thing we noticed is one can reduce auto and home liability coverage to the minimum when obtaining an umbrella policy so the cost of the policy is offset by a reduction in auto and home premium cost.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
We just increased ours from 2MM to 4MM. One thing we noticed is one can reduce auto and home liability coverage to the minimum when obtaining an umbrella policy so the cost of the policy is offset by a reduction in auto and home premium cost.
Interesting.

USAA required the opposite when we purchased an umbrella policy - at least for our auto policies. We had to increase our liability limits to 300/500/100.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting.

USAA required the opposite when we purchased an umbrella policy - at least for our auto policies. We had to increase our liability limits to 300/500/100.
Same here. We had to increase our auto limits before we could obtain the umbrella.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting.

Ditto with our umbrella policies.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
One thing we noticed is one can reduce auto and home liability coverage to the minimum when obtaining an umbrella policy so the cost of the policy is offset by a reduction in auto and home premium cost.
I guess it depends upon the carrier but, like the other posters, I was required to buy pretty high limits on my Auto and Homeowners policies to get them up to the level where the Umbrella attaches. It may be that some carriers allow you to buy minimal Auto and Homeowners limits but charge a higher Umbrella premium to make up for it. As long as they're all with the same carrier you should be OK.

To answer the OP's question, we have $2 million Umbrella limits. I
m VERY happy to see that our state (MO) protects IRAs from lawsuits. As it is, if I cause someone's serious injury or death, they've hit the friggin' lottery..