Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Yup, I posted this in the other thread about how our governments have no choices other than default or hyperinflation.
The combination of deflation AND rapidly rising public debt are killer. We'd be better off with high inflation that reduces the "real" debt than a toxic combination of deflation AND rising debt. I fail to see how that combination can avoid ending very badly if it persists.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #282
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Sounds inflationary.
Um. This would actually be deflationary. Note that my irony detector may be broken today.

Inflation is, broadly speaking, too much cash in search of too few goods. We are at risk of inflation when we see:
* Industrial production and shipping running near capacity
* a tight labor market, where workers can readily demand and get raises
* high 'velocity of money', a combination of lots of cash around (loose credit), and lots of financial activity (lending and speculative investing).

Currently we really don't have any of these items, and are at least a few years away from seeing any of them.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #283
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Um. This would actually be deflationary. Note that my irony detector may be broken today.
It must be broken; he was being sarcastic.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #284
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
But not meant as a slap at you, Ha. I guess I expect forums to be what they are, and there is a certain amount of groupthink that goes on. Probably endemic to human herd behavior, and I do not think it is going to change.
Its part of what makes a forum a comfortable place to hang out and read/post so I agree, unlikely to change.

Quote:
I guess that saving people from their possible naiveté does not rank high in my priorities.
I guess I see it as pay it forward given how much I have learned from here and the mistakes I could have avoided if only I had known about this site a few years before I did. I try not to be to dogmatic preferring to just point people to resources and let them decide for themselves.

Quote:
But who knows, these newbies might be very well equipped to make up their own minds.
I have no illusions that some know much more than I, but there is a significant number who come here looking for information and advice.

DD
Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One aspect of this board that I do not like is its very rapid rejection of anything off the beaten path.
Ha
For Haha

The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 AM   #286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The combination of deflation AND rapidly rising public debt are killer. We'd be better off with high inflation that reduces the "real" debt than a toxic combination of deflation AND rising debt. I fail to see how that combination can avoid ending very badly if it persists.
True.

But what I was referring to is the thesis put forward in another thread that goes as follows . . .

1) Federal debts are high
2) Structural deficits are large
3) Fixing problems this large has basically never happened before because we lack the political will
4) The only way to reduce the debt burden is either default or inflation

Spain, with 20% unemployment, suggests there is indeed another option.