Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
....My original post was in response to someone bemoaning his IRA being held "tax hostage". But it isn't. Some of that IRA is money that he should have paid to the IRS years ago, but they magnanimously said, "Nah, you don't have to pay up now, you can hang onto it for us in an IRA and pay us later on when you withdraw money from the IRA."...
Well at least something we can agree on.

I said the same thing in post #9 of this thread.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
Yup. Something like 42% of the people, so I hear. And approximately ZERO of them are reading about Financially Independent and Retiring Early. And they aren't mulling over Withdrawal Ratios, they are more likely to be asking how does a ratio apply to $0.
One thing I learned from this forum is to not confuse FI (and wealth) with taxes paid.

Far from your 'zero' claim, there's tons of people here who are quite well off, retired early yet pay little or no taxes, either by careful withdrawal strategies or judicious income planning or other avenues etc. (legally of course)

Likely one of the reasons they DO read this forum is to glean insights on how to do just that.

Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe
Thanks to all who replied. Although my preference is to keep as much of the 401K for as long as possible, the best course seems to be spending it down, while delaying SS. I had planned to take $20K/yr from 401K to supplement my pension. Might be better to take $40-50K/yr for the next eight years (I'm 62) in order to avoid RMD taxes and delay SS until age 70. Excess withdrawals over spending needs could be rolled to a Roth; I could also avoid most of the tax torpedo on SS. Does this sound right, or am I still off track?

LBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote