Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still employed for the time being.... but I am counting the days!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I plan on being called "Cabana Boy" by DW. Unemployed deadbeats will be better to our extended families.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a business. Tax advantages would make it worthwhile. I could be CEO and the janitor!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I may choose to call myself a "retirement plan administrator" when the time comes. I am actually listed as the administrator on DW's solo 401k, so what if it takes me 15 minutes a year to administrate?
How long did it take u to set up the solo 401k? Was there any cost involved?
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #24

You earned the "retired" label and now you should use it. "Unemployed" has a negative connotation. Unfortunately, what we name something is often how we treat it. "Unemployed" is not exactly high status. The meaning of a word is not in the word itself, but in the people. Whether we like it or not, semantics plays an important role in our lives. I would prefer to have my grandchildren refer to me as retired as opposed to unemployed, because it simply sounds better.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

When asked about my status I usually say ~ "I'm currently between assignments." That pretty-much changes the conversation.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

As one who is still w*rking, my gestalt is that retired has a positive meaning (usually meaning a voluntary decision) whereas unemployed suggests that a person might have been downsized, or made redundant (horrible term!). I hope that when I do retire, I will be confident enough to say so. After all, being FIRE is an achievement one can be proud of!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As one who is still w*rking, my gestalt is that retired has a positive meaning (usually meaning a voluntary decision) whereas unemployed suggests that a person might have been downsized, or made redundant (horrible term!). I hope that when I do retire, I will be confident enough to say so. After all, being FIRE is an achievement one can be proud of!
I don't see anything negative about being downsized or RIF. Sometimes, this happens because of the economy and has nothing to do with the persons performance or abilities.

Sometimes, it is a matter of luck. There was one time that a project in the magacorp was cancelled and everybody working in that project got RIF. Now, many of these people are better than the ones that were left. It just so happened that the people left were not working on that project (me included).

Who are lucky? The ones left left or the ones that got RIF? Sometimes, it is better to be RIF as you get a lot of benefits as previously mentioned here. I, personally would prefer to be RIF than retire voluntarily. But, I want to go out.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB

I don't see anything negative about being downsized or RIF. Sometimes, this happens because of the economy and has nothing to do with the persons performance or abilities.
Couldn't agree more. I laid off high-performing employees so that the work could be delivered by less capable workers in low cost countries.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

"'Unemployed' has a negative connotation."

To my ear "employed" has a negative connotation. I don't really understand why people take so much pride in being someone else's servant.

In my mind, if I became 'employed' it would mean I had failed as an investor, rather than that I had succeeded at getting a wage.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I set this up with Fidelity 4 or 5 years ago. It was (and I think still is) free to set up and they actually held my hand whenever I had dumb questions. We have never paid a fee and it looks just like a brokerage account. It was pretty easily initially and now my effort involves filling out a 1 page form when I send in our annual contribution.

I would have gone with Schwab for this since we dod everything else with them, but they wanted fees, etc. Fido has made it easy and free.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Like Brewer, my solo401K is with Fido. It was relatively simple to set up and to run and I've been happy with the service. Since Vanguard now offers them, I might go with them if I were starting today just because all my other accounts are with VGD.
It's easy and I've saved a lot in taxes with the solo 401K, much more than I could have saved with a SEP.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Unemployed works great when the telemarketers call even after we have been on the list or a charity we do not plan to give to calls.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Unemployed works great when the telemarketers call even after we have been on the list or a charity we do not plan to give to calls.
If it is a casual conversation, I pick and choose whether or not I'm unemployed or retired based on what I want this particular person to know about my business.
If I'm negotiating a deal/price on something I want to buy at a better price, I poor mouth them to no end. Unemployed
I've never even told my neighbors I'm retired. Basically non of their business in my opinion. I always worked weird shifts so they don't know if I'm working nights, weekends or days, 1st, 2nd or 3rd shifts.
Steve
PS. I also use the unemployed on the telemarketers.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
PS. I also use the unemployed on the telemarketers.
Didn't know that they were still making calls. Glad that the DNC list still works...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Didn't know that they were still making calls. Glad that the DNC list still works...
Seems the list doesn't cut everybody out.
I still get calls from my phone company, cable company & some beggar city & county, donation folks.
Steve
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #36

I tell people that I'm a trust fund baby. (even thought I'm not!) Has a nice, and credible ring here in the Boston area.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #37

A family friend blurted out "unemployed" and grabbed for the lunch check. I let her grab the bill, but at singles functions such as salsa socials, I use the words real estate investor.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I tell people that I'm a trust fund baby. (even thought I'm not!) Has a nice, and credible ring here in the Boston area.
I like it. "Kept man" has a nice ring, too.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

There are 3 or 4 of these genuine articles in my building. Nice way to live. They all seem to be unassuming and perhaps somewhat passive and withdrawn people.

Ha
Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Seems the list doesn't cut everybody out.
I still get calls from my phone company, cable company & some beggar city & county, donation folks.
Steve
Yea Steve, I guess that I still get a few of those too. But, after their first sentence, I hit them with ~ "take me off your list forever" and hang up.