Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I had 4 years of just OMY'ing. Just didn't have the courage to tke the leap. So glad I am a Class of 2015 member. I feel amazing and it's only been since Oct.13th Wow!
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
Thanks, all especially JoeWras, who hit on exactly one of my unreasonable fears. have had an unexpected house and car bill this yr, yet even so expenses have been within my planned range of spending during ER. Just like they were during 2014, when i had two out of state weddings to attend, in back to back weeks, one in Canada (Toronto is a beautiful city by the way, very walk able, much like my birth place NYC, but less crowded, more like the NYC of my childhood). Another unexpected part of the dithering is emotional attachment to some colleagues, more than I expected to have. i was hoping the excitement of anticipating the freedom of ER would overshadow that, but it hasn't.
I can relate to feeling reluctant to leave a team I've worked with for decades. Even though we have minimal connections socially (like I know whose kids do which school sports but I have no idea how any of them vote), we've been through a lot together. Some of my best work over the years was my contribution to our team's response to an unexpected business crisis. I was considered a world-class expert in my professional niche, but outside of my work environment, nobody I know would have any understanding of or interest in the stuff I'm very good at.

Being FI came in handy when family constraints pulled me out of the game, but thankfully my management got creative and set me up for a remote assignment that meshes well with my time and location needs. So I guess if you're thinking about hanging onto both worlds, my advice is to not assume your choice has to be binary, there might be a way to structure a partial RE, and it may be worthwhile to bring up this possibility in case they don't think of it first. OMY could become something quite different than what you've done.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went part time in Sept. Thought I could make it a year or two. Last week I decided I'm out at the end of March after I get my bonus for 2015. I have found that my fuse is short and my patience thin. All of the things I thought I could avoid by going P/T are still here. I still have to deal with those who think they are kings/queens.

You will see my Year Of 2016 post at that time. So as of now 3 1/2 months and counting.
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
WR=Withdrawal Rate

often cited as SWR=Safe Withdrawal Rate

The landmark Trinity study of historic returns determined that for thirty year retirements, a WR of 4% (adjusted for inflation) was safe in all periods studied. It is a matter of some debate on the board what is a SWR for longer periods or if returns going forward could be worse than the historic data used in the study. This gives rise to all sorts of other ways to calculate a WR that may or may not be safer for longer retirements.
Not to pick nits, but WR and SWR are not interchangeable, some here use the term SWR erroneously. One is historically "safe" (with a 95% confidence over 30 years for Trinity) while WR may be otherwise - more or less than theoretical "safe." WR should be used when the writer is knowingly trying to convey other than SWR.

FWIW, most studies have concluded the indefinitely safe withdrawal rate (unlimited vs 30 yrs for Trinity et al) has historically fallen between 3.0-3.3%.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I went so far as to print out and bring the form home but I have yet to fill it out.<> .
A form to fill-out to quit? What's in it for you? I just told them that if they couldn't/wouldn't give me 25 weeks unpaid vacation, I wouldn't be back on Monday.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two or three of you all have reflected on having the courage to make this decision. That resonated with me. So, today, told the group mngr I plan to retire end of Jan 2016. We discussed making it more gradual than that with part time work. He is quite open to that possibility. It will be a tough sell up the line. even though it will be I imagine much more common in the future, along with a lot more work from home options than my mega corp mgmt is currently comfortable with. What a relief it was to arrive finally at this decision. The few others i told are generally happy for me. Those who have leaned on me for yrs for more effort than they really should have will have a time adjusting to my absence. Good. I will miss several of those who do pull thier weight and regret not being there to provide the support and encoragement they have told me they would miss during the past yr or so that I have openly discussed ER with them. For this last reason, a part time transition period is enticing, should it be a viable option.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also went about halway through the benefit commencement form, but the electronic version, last week actually. Lack of courage then stopped me. Today i gathered all the forms I need to scan in, and did that much. So, ready to officially apply for my DB once we determnie how the part time work will be a part of the equation, if it is at all. Glad to get this done before the Holidays.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #28

you don't hate your job enough. keep working until you do.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #29

OP, somehow I missed your post 26...congrats on making the decision.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote