Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked at the Australian system a while back. As I remember, the wage related part is similar to the 403b or 401k of the US. The basic retirement is a safety net and the only requirement is age. I recall that it was around US$22K, hence more than the minimal US SS benefit. But then, the US has other assistance programs to the indigent, so the big picture is more complicated.
US$22K seems high for a minimum pension as the max US SS at age 66 is currently around US$31k. By comparison the new flat rate UK pension is only US$13k. I know the UK has other benefits too (housing, food, heating allowance) and I imagine Australia does too. The UK also has a DC or 401k type system that has strict Government contribution rules and you can chose your provider or use a public-private trust set up by the Government.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Absolutely! One of the reasons I posted the thread was the thought that some folks here, probably not many, but some, might not have training in time value of money calculations. So laying out a specific way to calculate it made the calculation a "cookbook" for anyone to follow.

I figured that this discussion would come-up (COLA vs discount rate). The calculation is sensitive to those values. If you are currently collecting SS payments, then it's really just the difference between those two values.

I calculated using the guidlines in the OP (2.5% for both), and also ran it if the CPI lagged by 1/2 percent (so 2.5% CPI and 3.0% discount rate). That cut the present value by about 12%!
Yes there is a lot of room for assumption and tweeking in these calculations, and the value of a guaranteed monthly check while being high is difficult to assess without knowing someone's full financial situation. I've been doing a lot of this recently as I'm converting my DC retirement account to a state DB pension. It's a great deal as it starts at age 55 and the discount rate is 7%.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 11-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, I found my post a while back reporting what I found about the Australian system. The minimum payment was $20K, not $22K, and was means-tested.

Why Public Pensions Are About To Look Less Healthy

Back on the present value of SS, I do not care about that as much as what cash flow it provides. Even with my savings which have real values, I have to convert it to cash flow to know what I can spend.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, I found my post a while back reporting what I found about the Australian system. The minimum payment was $20K, not $22K, and was means-tested.

Why Public Pensions Are About To Look Less Healthy

Back on the present value of SS, I do not care about that as much as what cash flow it provides. Even with my savings which have real values, I have to convert it to cash flow to know what I can spend.
OK, if it's means tested that sounds more sensible....the UK US$13k is not means tested, you just have to have at least 35 years of qualifying contribution years.

I agree that the regular monthly check is at least as important as the PV or value that you are getting for it.