Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Uninsured Motorist on Auto Ins.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Arin38
I've never had uninsured motorist coverage. I've always gone under the assumption that any medical issues that I might face from some uninsured driver hitting me and causing injuries would be bourne by my health insurance.

Car accidents can cause a lot of damage to your body, even with airbags. I was crippled for life by an underinsured driver. I have one of the best medical insurance policies available and my husband has insurance which covers some things more than my policy does (rehab). Nevertheless, after the accident we raised our uninsured/underinsured to $300K. It had been $50K. However, State Farm or Maryland requires that this amount not exceed the coverage on the other driver should the fault be ours.

The driver was a 19 year old boy who, after 48 hours without sleep, fell asleep on the front bumper of my car. He was unharmed; I was severely injured (wish I had been asleep). He had a cheep policy from MD called "high-risk driver insurance". You get the maximum of the two coverages (his or yours). Even when your medical insurance covers most of the costs, if your health insurance has a subrogation clause, they get first dibs on the car insurance money. So, for expensive injuries, you can get stuck with a lot of expense if there isn't enough for both you and your medical insurer. The increase in the underinsured driver insurance was quite cheap and we decided that it was worth it.

So I advise talking to your medical insurer about subrogation. I am sure that they all cover emergencies but you could ask them anyway. Also examine in-patient and out-patient rehab coverage and coverage in a nursing home/care facility/hospice just for good measure.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for all of the comments and advice. You have given me something to think about - we've both got LTD coverage at work but you've got me leaning towards spending the add'l $$$ on uninsured. Also going to price out higher coverage (especially while working) but will ditch the coll/comp on the older car.

Given the high rate at State Farm right now, I may be able to bump up coverage and pay somewhat less.
Arin38 is offline   Reply With Quote