Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Unpatriotic to retire early?!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Unpatriotic to retire early?!

Gosh, now it's unpatriotic to retire early. Man, that hurts, especially on the fourth of July! Here I thought that patriotism was just a matter of spending my stimulous check on stuff I did'nt want or need. Check it out:

Is Retiring Early Unpatriotic? - AOL Money & Finance

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
The Ultimate Cheapskate
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These people are short-sighted and selfish. They expect other people to continue to prop up what they want in government by shaming them into continue working and having nearly half of what they earn taken in taxes.

As I've said repeatedly on this topic, I think it's more beneficent for someone who can afford not to work to step aside and create a job opening for someone who needs it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As I've said repeatedly on this topic, I think it's more beneficent for someone who can afford not to work to step aside and create a job opening for someone who needs it.
So true. I have pity for those misguided souls who can't let go of the rat race for fear they will no longer be "productive". I'm not mentioning any names, but we have a prime example right here in our midst...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yarrow notes that when people work longer, they not only continue to pay taxes and produce additional goods and services to spur the economy, but also slow the growth of the national debt.
How about reducing government spending and getting the unemployed to work?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I am confused... After watching TV recently, I had come to believe that being patriotic meant wearing an American flag pin on your lapel! So if you buy a $0.25 pin and still retire early, would it be OK?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am confused... After watching TV recently, I had come to believe that being patriotic meant wearing an American flag pin on your lapel!
Made in China, no doubt.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Made in China, no doubt.
For $0.25 per pin it would have to be...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Gosh, now it's unpatriotic to retire early.
Not to mention selfish

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/proposition-early-retirement-selfish-31851.html

Old 07-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The author is probably right, but I think I'm leaving early anyway...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am confused... After watching TV recently, I had come to believe that being patriotic meant wearing an American flag pin on your lapel! So if you buy a $0.25 pin and still retire early, would it be OK?
Don't forget putting a patriotic bumper sticker (regardless of where it is made) on one's vehicle
Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #11

Here's a thread from April where this theory was debated pretty throughly:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...highlight=prof
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe it's time for us to make a bumper sticker that reads....

Be Selfish and Unpatriotic...Retire Early.

I've been working since I was 12, I will retire early no matter what the hell anyone thinks.
Nanita8140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's wrong if you leave on your own, but it's OK if the company decides they don't need lets you go. :confused:
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So true. I have pity for those misguided souls who can't let go of the rat race for fear they will no longer be "productive". I'm not mentioning any names, but we have a prime example right here in our midst...
Hey he contributed a 0.1 FTE for the cause .

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Hey he contributed a 0.1 FTE for the cause .

DD
You know what they say, a journey starts with a single step. He'll get there, eventually

-- Rita
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #16

Good thing I generally don't give a rats azz what others think!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yarrow urges the nation's 78 million baby boomers to forgo traditional or early retirement and work for a few more years, for their own sake and the good of the country.

If boomers all turn in their keys at age 55, 62 or 65 and head for the Tuscan hills, that great sucking sound you'll hear is untold amounts of taxpayer dollars being leached from the economy. That is money heirs will either have to replace or do without.

It's an act Yarrow calls "profoundly selfish and unpatriotic."
Wow - that's a good one. The poor heirs!!!! The heirs will have to earn their own money instead of spending their parents!

What a bizarre twisted reason for disapproving of early retirement.

Notice he doesn't even favor "traditional" retirement - gosh, taking off and heading for the hills at 65!!.....

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, but I disagree with the article (page 2 did not work by the way).

Retirees still pay taxes on their retirement income.

Retirees still buy goods and services.

Retirees may actuall spend more on some goods and services than before they were retired. For example: travel and medical care.

Many retirees continue to invest in college savings plans for grandkids.

With downsizing and moving products overseas the GDP of manufactured goods is decreasing in the US and has nothing to do with retirees. It is about labor costs and the US cannot compete with developing countries in this area. The few remaining employees are doing much more work than even a few years ago.

What jobs are going to be around for older folks? Early retirement packages abound as American business continues to downsize to lower costs. The trend seems to be to get rid of the higher paid older worker and replace them with younger cheaper ones or to "job share" and dump the workload on fewer and fewer workers. There will be no place for the older worker.

Heirs won't get money from their parents. How sad! I plan to die waving my last dollar to the undertaker. If there is anything left then my kids or their kids can buy a six pack or two. They know this and don't really expect anything. Just like I don't expect anything from my mother when she dies. It is not important to us because we don't need it. If there is anything I plan on donating some and putting the rest in a trust for future generations. I can think of nothing more disgusting than my relatives clawing and scratching (each other) for a few bucks from my estate.

If one is FI then retirement is possible without having to work another day. It is not selfish nor is it unpatriotic. It is misguided to assume otherwise.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Gosh, now it's unpatriotic to retire early. Man, that hurts, especially on the fourth of July! Here I thought that patriotism was just a matter of spending my stimulous check on stuff I did'nt want or need. Check it out:

Is Retiring Early Unpatriotic? - AOL Money & Finance

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
The Ultimate Cheapskate

"The debt currently stands at $9.3 trillion and is largely driven by rising Medicare and Social Security costs."
I think that quote from the article shows just how ignorant the author is so I wouldn't worry about the rest of it.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My wife ER'ed at 49 (3 yrs ago) with only 401k, no pension. I am working part-time, mainly because I am not sure I am FI (two children still attending college). When my friends ask me how we do it, I reply "Because I work less, I simply have to eat less (meaning consuming/spending less)". Isn't that fair?

I think other nonER'ers are just envious, and just trying to make us feel guilty.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote