Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess this means we should, as a country, be proactive and begin working on a bail out plan for folks who have lousy credit ratings due to walking away from mortgages or credit card debt. When millions have no ability to borrow due to stinky credit reports, it will hurt the economy and make their lives tough. We'll need to help, to restore their credit to AAA and give them a fresh start. And at tax payers expense, of course!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ims-30768.html

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I guess this means we should, as a country, be proactive and begin working on a bail out plan for folks who have lousy credit ratings due to walking away from mortgages or credit card debt. When millions have no ability to borrow due to stinky credit reports, it will hurt the economy and make their lives tough. We'll need to help, to restore their credit to AAA and give them a fresh start. And at tax payers expense, of course!
Aren't we already doing that??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Aren't we already doing that??
Not as far as I know. I think that currently if you create a crappy credit report for yourself, you have to live with it. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
The bubble were are in now is a credit bubble. Wait, I think that bubble popped around 6 months ago (a year ago?) and is still popping. If you didn't hear it, go outside and listen. Maybe take a walk around the block and see how many homes are for sale in your neighborhood.

The sub prime mess is just a small fraction of the credit bubble and people spending more than they could afford.
There is a distinction between credit card debt and a mortgage debt. One being unsecured and the other secured. The mortgage crisis has nothing to do with what another bubble "Many" are now talking and writing about which is an UNSECURE CREDIT CARD BUBBLE. When you enter into a contract for a mortgage, you can legally walk away as the bank is left with the house. People now no longer have "equity" to continue their spending spree so they are now taking out their credit cards to keep the party going. Do some research....google it.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those of you who watched CBS 60 Minutes on Sunday either on TV or on the web (as someone gave us the link for) may have seen the woman who was interviewed with her husband. I believe they were still living in the home they had purchased in Stockton, California with a subprime loan. She said (not in these exact words) that she saw no reason to stay in a home that now had an upside down mortgage. The interviewer asked her if that meant she was going to stop making the payments. She answered yes and explained that it was because that this was the only advice she'd been given. The source of the advice was never divulged by her, nor did the interviewer think to ask her where it came from. But, I hope it didn't come from her minister. She said it just made no sense to make payments on a house that was now worth less than the mortgage amount, and it could take years to ever catch up. She seemed to feel absolutely no remorse, shame or guilt for breaking her promise to the bank. I hope that this immoral attitude does not become a trend or we could be in for some major problems if average home values drop another 20% or 30%.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
She seemed to feel absolutely no remorse, shame or guilt for breaking her promise to the bank. I hope that this immoral attitude does not become a trend or we could be in for some major problems if average home values drop another 20% or 30%.
Give up on hope - that immoral attitude is all over the place.