Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Amazon finally released their app. for Apple TV.

Amazon is obviously pushing their own hardware, which has to be a loss leader for them. So you'd think they'd want to be on as many devices as possible, like Netflix's approach. Bezos is supposedly serious about producing original programming, with the deal they made for the prequel to Lord of the Rings.

If he wants the largest audience possible, he's going to have to get his app. on as many devices as possible.

Google is also trying to favor their own devices. Youtube app. on Apple TV 4K doesn't support HDR videos and they want to try to force people to use their VP8 and VP9 codecs instead of the more universal H.264 and H.265.

Sony tried to make its proprietary codecs popular. That's why they lost out on MP3 players and smart phones. It also hurt them for a long time with digital cameras too.
Yep we just installed the Amazon Prime Video app and logged in. Working well it seems. We are happy to have it.

I started a new thread with this info, but if Iíd seen this thread resurface, I wouldíve posted it here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I got a popup this morning when using my Fire stick. Just bought 2 sticks....chaps my a$$. Not planning to change as I like the FS. If I need to watch youtube I will watch it on my Chromebook.

I agree that this is vey aggravating that Google and Amazon canít work something out. We have used YouTube a lot on our Fire TVís and we still plan on sticking with the Fire TV. Amazon just added an internet browser app (Silk) to the Fire TV/ Fire Stick, so that is an alternative to viewing a YouTube on Fire.

Old Today, 06:24 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Decided to upgrade 2 of the old Roku's I had in my house. Bought one of the new Ultra's ($89) and an Express ($29). Wow! Speed. Increased Wifi range. I have my trigger finger on the "Place Order" button that would replace the remaining old Roku's in my house.

BTW. I have no financial ties to the Roku organization.
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I agree that this is vey aggravating that Google and Amazon canít work something out. We have used YouTube a lot on our Fire TVís and we still plan on sticking with the Fire TV. Amazon just added an internet browser app (Silk) to the Fire TV/ Fire Stick, so that is an alternative to viewing a YouTube on Fire.
Amazon recently announced they will start selling the Apple TV and Chromecast again. Perhaps the first step to motivate Google from pulling Youtube from Fire TV's.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...gle-chromecast
Old Today, 09:40 AM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

I just picked up a ROKU TV for our home in Florida. It is the ultimate cord cutting solution. I wish I had bought this TV for our primary residence instead of buying Samsung and Sony TVs with separate ROKU premiere plus devices. This 55 inch 4K HDR TV cost us just $389 plus tax at Costco. It integrates the tuner, streaming players and other devices connected to the HDMI ports into the familiar ROKU menu. The remote has a power on/off button on top and volume control buttons on the side. The picture quality is excellent for viewing 4K content.