Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
When I was on PS vue, they not only had unreliable service, the dropped all the Viacom stations without and reduction in price. No Viacom = No Comedy Central = No South Park. That was totally unacceptable.
Our PS Vue service has been at least as reliable as Dish satellite ever was. We did a DirecTV now trial and it was unreliable while we had it. It's a good idea to trial services in your location. I am curious what you chose that has been more reliable?

They'd already lost Viacom when we began our subscription, we were fine losing Comedy Central in exchange for picking up some others.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
For the moment, Spectrum is dealing with other issues in our area. Many people are spoofing MAC addresses of paying customers and pirating internet service. This is disrupting internet service for those that are being spoofed by the cloned cable modem. Plus these hackers have installed firmware on their cable modems to hop from one MAC address to another to cover their tracks. So the Spectrum trucks are around our area day and night trying to catch the culprits. In the mean time, they have extended our 100 Mb/s with no data caps to 400 Mb/s no data caps from 12 to 18 months at no additional charge to compensate for any disruptions.
So how do you know this is a problem in your area?

I'd love a free 400 Mb/s upgrade, though I'd have to get a new modem to handle those speeds (former TWC area)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Our PS Vue service has been at least as reliable as Dish satellite ever was. We did a DirecTV now trial and it was unreliable while we had it. It's a good idea to trial services in your location. I am curious what you chose that has been more reliable?

They'd already lost Viacom when we began our subscription, we were fine losing Comedy Central in exchange for picking up some others.
We used Sling after PS Vue, it was more reliable but for the past 6 months we have been using TV Everywhere Apps on Roku using the credentials from our Florida Condo cable plan which is included in our monthly fee. Out of the 75 channels in our plan, we use 48 of them as TV Everywhere Apps. Our cable provider even encourages customers to use TV everywhere apps. They are rock solid and we have much better on-demand selection. We can pause/FF/RW our on demand selections as well as live broadcasts. The picture quality is vastly superior to PS Vue and Sling. As an example, just compare the content you get with CNN or FX with PS Vue with CNNgo and FXnow apps.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #624
Give me a forum ...

Comcast trying to buy Fox, which would give it a monopoly over regional sports networks which broadcast, nba, NHL and MLB games.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-sports-teams/

Comcast charges subscribers of other services more for access to the RSNs that it already owns.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #625

Comcast is lucky, then, that today's legal definition of monopoly recognizes that the commodity is subscription video entertainment and information. Therefore, as long as there is some other programming that you can subscribe to (basic cable, for example) there is no monopoly.

Of course, it isn't clear that legal definitions are applied fairly and justly. It could be that the approval of this deal will hinge exclusively on the political bias of those making the decision.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
So how do you know this is a problem in your area?

I'd love a free 400 Mb/s upgrade, though I'd have to get a new modem to handle those speeds (former TWC area)
We were also a former TWC area. We have our own cable modem so I don't pay the monthly fee for that. I bought it on Ebay for about $50. The break-even is about 6 months. The issue with our internet started just over a month ago. After 6:00 PM every night, the internet download speed would drop to near zero and devices would lose their connections. My normal speed from running speed tests was about 118 Mb/s. Spectrum guarantees 100 Mb/s. I verified it wasn't my router or cable modem and contacted Spectrum. They sent a technician the next day and he couldn't find any issues with my setup, but he contacted his office and was told that several other people in our neighborhood were experiencing the same issue and they were certain that someone with an illegal modem was cloning MAC addresses from paying customers and stealing their bandwidth allocation. They informed us it would take a few weeks to find the culprit and for compensation their upped our speed to the next higher level of service. They apparently found the person disrupting service in our area and the issue has been resolved for now.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #627

OK... I was all set to try Directv Now..... Not so Fast!!!

We live in an area with only one internet provider, discounting satellite. It is Windstream, a telecom. They report our IP from one of their substations 250 miles from our house. So our billing address and our IP address does not match. So, no local channels!

There solution, go to Windstream and have them give me a static IP in my zip code. Might me possible, might not, at any rate, I don't think it should be up to me, or windstream to solve a Directv problem. PSVue, Hulu, and Youtube TV do not have this problem.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #628
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We used Sling after PS Vue, it was more reliable but for the past 6 months we have been using TV Everywhere Apps on Roku using the credentials from our Florida Condo cable plan which is included in our monthly fee. Out of the 75 channels in our plan, we use 48 of them as TV Everywhere Apps. Our cable provider even encourages customers to use TV everywhere apps. They are rock solid and we have much better on-demand selection. We can pause/FF/RW our on demand selections as well as live broadcasts. The picture quality is vastly superior to PS Vue and Sling. As an example, just compare the content you get with CNN or FX with PS Vue with CNNgo and FXnow apps.
Amazing how individual these situations are. Our PS Vue picture quality is every bit as good as Dish TV (some compression) ever was, if not better. They’re both mostly 720p (some 1080i) and there’s no network TV live broadcasting in 1080p yet anyway that I know of. The only 1080p and 4K content is on demand movies with some providers.

I’m sure your cable provider encourages you to use TV Everywhere, so you won’t cut the cord and go for live streaming only. For us, cable and satellite was twice the cost or more than Vue, that’s what drove us to switch. But if you’re paying for cable, I can understand why you’d use/like TV Everywhere.

I’m not following your last sentence, what do CNNGo and FXNow (Roku?) apps have to do with PS Vue? I can just watch CNN and FX at 720p on Vue...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Amazing how individual these situations are. Our PS Vue picture quality is every bit as good as Dish TV (some compression) ever was, if not better. They’re both mostly 720p (some 1080i) and there’s no network TV live broadcasting in 1080p yet anyway that I know of. The only 1080p and 4K content is on demand movies with some providers.

I’m sure your cable provider encourages you to use TV Everywhere, so you won’t cut the cord and go for live streaming only. For us, cable and satellite was twice the cost or more than Vue, that’s what drove us to switch. But if you’re paying for cable, I can understand why you’d use/like TV Everywhere.

I’m not following your last sentence, what do CNNGo and FXNow (Roku?) apps have to do with PS Vue? I can just watch CNN and FX at 720p on Vue...

All 720p, 1080p, and 4K are not created equal. PS Vue and Sling use older data compression and stream at lower bit rates than the TV Everywhere apps. These apps adjust the picture quality according to your download speed. Some TV Everywhere apps are streaming 4K at 45-60 Mb/s. If you can support those speeds. With respect to CNN on PS Vue vs CNNgo, you not only have access to live CNN, CNN International, and HLN, but also every show they produce on demand. I don't recall having that with PS Vue. With FXnow you have live broadcasts of FX, FXX, FXM, Fox, and Natgeo, plus all their shows and their entire movie library on demand. You should be able to use your PSVue credentials to register TV everywhere apps on the platform you are viewing TV. You should try it and you'll see the difference. Plus, the higher your internet speed, the better your video quality.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #630

Just got a quote from Windstream for a static IP. $20 a month. I won't be using Directv Now. Too bad, because it looks like a good service. I may keep it for three months just to get a discount on the Apple TV, but I doubt it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #631

Quote:
Right now we have no data caps with Spectrum (Charter), but that may change eventually. Our data usage has been as high as 1.4 TB per month. It averages about 800 GB now and will likely increase. AT&T has data caps at 300, 600, and 1TB and surcharges above that or $30 per month more for unlimited. Spectrum and AT&T are the two providers in our area.

New to this topic but interested. We are Spectrum (Charter) customers. How does one find out what our data usage is?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-26-2018, 05:53 AM   #632

Quote:
We were also a former TWC area. We have our own cable modem so I don't pay the monthly fee for that. I bought it on Ebay for about $50. The break-even is about 6 months. The issue with our internet started just over a month ago. After 6:00 PM every night, the internet download speed would drop to near zero and devices would lose their connections. My normal speed from running speed tests was about 118 Mb/s. Spectrum guarantees 100 Mb/s. I verified it wasn't my router or cable modem and contacted Spectrum. They sent a technician the next day and he couldn't find any issues with my setup, but he contacted his office and was told that several other people in our neighborhood were experiencing the same issue and they were certain that someone with an illegal modem was cloning MAC addresses from paying customers and stealing their bandwidth allocation. They informed us it would take a few weeks to find the culprit and for compensation their upped our speed to the next higher level of service. They apparently found the person disrupting service in our area and the issue has been resolved for now.

Freedom; I have a slightly different problem. We have Spectrum internet with a 60Mb/s download plan as part of a triple play package. The reason we have not upgraded internet is we are on an old TWC plan that is increasing in cost each year but still significantly cheaper than if we switched all services to the Spectrum platform where our speed would be upgraded to 100 or higher. At any rate, we frequently stream Netflix or Hulu or Amazon and predictably if doing so after 6 pm, we will be disconnected with a message "insufficient bandwidth". One TV is 4K, another TV is not 4K. We do not stream on two TV's simultaneously. When we are disconnected, I prioritize TV in my google wifi smart phone program, but that doesn't help. I also check download speeds and detect 60+/-. Upload though is low, around 1,rather than the normal 5. I presume that it is the download speed that is important. So I'm trying to figure out what is going on. Why does this happen only at night? Why does this happen only after about 50 minutes, as opposed to immediately? Is the 60Mb/s the culprit? If so why doesn't it happen during the day? I thought download speed was different than bandwidth. Help😟. I'd love to solve this problem. Oh and we own our modem as well, which is top of the line I believe.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #633

FYI; DD tells me that as of last week in the NYC market, Direct TV NOW has DVR. She signed up recently when she moved and is delighted with it. She was a Spectrum Internet/cable user at her last place and now has Spectrum Internet and Direct Now.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #634
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All 720p, 1080p, and 4K are not created equal. PS Vue and Sling use older data compression and stream at lower bit rates than the TV Everywhere apps. These apps adjust the picture quality according to your download speed. Some TV Everywhere apps are streaming 4K at 45-60 Mb/s. If you can support those speeds. With respect to CNN on PS Vue vs CNNgo, you not only have access to live CNN, CNN International, and HLN, but also every show they produce on demand. I don't recall having that with PS Vue. With FXnow you have live broadcasts of FX, FXX, FXM, Fox, and Natgeo, plus all their shows and their entire movie library on demand. You should be able to use your PSVue credentials to register TV everywhere apps on the platform you are viewing TV. You should try it and you'll see the difference. Plus, the higher your internet speed, the better your video quality.
I use the apps on my bedroom tv. I have Comcast cable for my living room but did not get a cable box for any other rooms. When I go to bed, I don't stay up late watching tv. Normally just a few local channels with an OTA. But I do have a few apps loaded on my Firestick that gives me more variety if I do want to watch other stuff. Nice quality video.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #635
Give me a forum ...

I see I have come to this thread quite late. I have never subscribed to cable/satellite television so I am not really a "cord cutter." However, I have built an extensive system for television. I started about fifteen years ago when I built a HTCP (Home Theater Personal Computer) based around SageTV -- which, BTW, is still to this day the backbone of the system. Of course, I am fortunate to live in an area of great OTA television -- over 80 channels.

This system includes:

Vizio 65" television (will be replaced when the P Quantum 65" is released in June/July) (well, there are 3 other tvs but who's counting)
Windows Vista computer
Yamaha RX-V673 receiver -- setup as 7.1 speaker system (Will be replace with a RX-3080 when released in June/July)
SageTV v9.0 -- HD300
8 - HDHomeRun Tuners
3 - ROKU units (I-1Ultra, 2-Express)
nVidia Shield
PLEX
PlayOn

My subscriptions are:

DirecTV Now (DTVN)- $5.00 month ($10 minus $5 bundle credit)
HBO - free
Showtime - $6.95 month
Netflix - $11.39 month
Hulu - $5.99 month
Amazon Prime - Hard to say what the cost is because it is mostly because of the free shipping.
and, of course, the AT&T unlimited Internet service.

The subscriptions work out well for us because we travel quite extensively and simply connect all of the above, over the internet, to our RV.

Yes, DTVN has added the ability to record but recognize that it is still in BETA. Even though I am a member of DTVN's Beta team, I have not played much with the DVR portion -- SageTV and PlayON are much superior to any DVR system (from any service).

I have not read the complete thread (only the last page) so I don't know if the above information is useful but I should be able to give some useful information to specific questions.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
So I'm trying to figure out what is going on. Why does this happen only at night? Why does this happen only after about 50 minutes, as opposed to immediately? Is the 60Mb/s the culprit? If so why doesn't it happen during the day?
Evenings can be problematic because your neighbors are typically also using the network then. Everyone is settling down to watch TV in the evening.

Cable internet works roughly like this: there is a hub in your neighborhood. It has a certain amount of bandwidth to the internet that everyone connected to that hub shares. It's ALWAYS much less than the sum of what they sell to everyone using the hub.

You're 60 Mbps service describes the MAXIMUM download speed from that hub to your house. Same for your neighbors, they might max out at 25 or 100 Mbps or whatever.

But what really matters is what people are actually using. Netflix says an HD stream might take up to 5 Mbps while a 4K stream could take up to 25 Mbps.

So lets say for arguments sake your neighborhood hub has 1000 Mbps capacity. But at 9 PM you have 10 neighbors using 4K streams (=250 Mbps) and 50 neighbors using HD streams (=250 Mbps) so everyone is using half the total available. Then someone downloads an app to their phone or does ANYTHING else that uses bandwidth and you will soon be saturating the hub. Something has to give, and so streams start stalling out.

The only real solution is for your cable company to upgrade your neighborhood hub with more bandwidth. They do this periodically, but often let it go way beyond what they should.

It doesn't hurt to complain to them. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
My subscriptions are:

DirecTV Now (DTVN)- $5.00 month ($10 minus $5 bundle credit)
So... how did you get DTVN for $10 (or $5 after credit)? Best price I see for new subscriber is $35. I do see a 3 month promo for $30, but that's not sustainable contract rate.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Freedom; I have a slightly different problem. We have Spectrum internet with a 60Mb/s download plan as part of a triple play package. The reason we have not upgraded internet is we are on an old TWC plan that is increasing in cost each year but still significantly cheaper than if we switched all services to the Spectrum platform where our speed would be upgraded to 100 or higher. At any rate, we frequently stream Netflix or Hulu or Amazon and predictably if doing so after 6 pm, we will be disconnected with a message "insufficient bandwidth". One TV is 4K, another TV is not 4K. We do not stream on two TV's simultaneously. When we are disconnected, I prioritize TV in my google wifi smart phone program, but that doesn't help. I also check download speeds and detect 60+/-. Upload though is low, around 1,rather than the normal 5. I presume that it is the download speed that is important. So I'm trying to figure out what is going on. Why does this happen only at night? Why does this happen only after about 50 minutes, as opposed to immediately? Is the 60Mb/s the culprit? If so why doesn't it happen during the day? I thought download speed was different than bandwidth. Help��. I'd love to solve this problem. Oh and we own our modem as well, which is top of the line I believe.

The minimum speed with Spectrum is now 100 Mb/s. With TWC it was 60 Mb/s. I logged into my account a while back and noticed that I had the 100 Mb/s Spectrum plan, but I was still only getting 60 Mb/s. They had just raised the price for internet. I called up Spectrum and they explained that TWC customers were grandfathered into Spectrum with their old setting and only 60 Mb/s was provisioned for my MAC address. They increased me to the minimum 100 Mb/s at no extra charge. I was upgraded to the next level of service which is 400 Mb/s due to the speed issues they were experiencing.

The problem you are describing was very similar to what was happening to me. When streaming Neflix or Youtube after 6:00 PM the picture would degrade and then stop streaming. Netflix would report a network bandwidth error. I ran speed tests and found that my download was nearly zero and my upload speed which should have been 10 but was less than 1. I would run the speed test again and the download speed would be back up to 100 but the upload would be less than 1. We were watching Netflix on a 4K TV which only uses about 15 Mb/s for 4K broadcasts and about 5 Mb/s for 1080P. We were binge watching the Walking Dead series which was supposed to be 4K UHD. We only had one of five TVs turned on. The problem would occur throughout the night on and off and everything would be back to normal in the morning. You should call Spectrum to investigate. I believe someone is pirating your bandwidth. In the case of the guy they caught in our area, he was working during the day and had his modem turned off until he came home. He cloned MAC addresses of multiple paying customers and was hopping from one to another. I would call Spectrum and have them check your setup. It's a free service call. You can also check your Wifi channel interference with a Wifi analyzer app installed on a phone or tablet and change your Wifi channel allocation on your router accordingly. Spectrum will tell you to do that first. However, that did not solve my problem. Spectrum catching the culprit did. However, I am satisfied with the compensation they gave us for the inconvenience.
This old article explains how this all started. The hackers have just become more sophisticated by using firmware that hops from one stolen MAC address to another from paying customers.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...eal-broadband/
Old 05-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #639
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Evenings can be problematic because your neighbors are typically also using the network then. Everyone is settling down to watch TV in the evening.

Cable internet works roughly like this: there is a hub in your neighborhood. It has a certain amount of bandwidth to the internet that everyone connected to that hub shares. It's ALWAYS much less than the sum of what they sell to everyone using the hub.
!
Nice explanation. Thanks.

I would like to point out that while the above is true for cable, it is not true for FIOS services. My understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that each FIOS user has his/her own connection and that the neighbor's usage does not affect it much if at all. There is no neighborhood hub.

I am not a fiber optics engineer so the above may be wrong or incomplete.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
So... how did you get DTVN for $10 (or $5 after credit)? Best price I see for new subscriber is $35. I do see a 3 month promo for $30, but that's not sustainable contract rate.
Yeah, that is kind of a fluke. When DTVN was first started they were begging for customers. They were having difficulty competing with already established streaming services (Vue and Sling, primarily) so they offered a $25 discount for new sign-ups to the "Live a Little" line-up. This price will remain in effect forever... well, unless I quit or change levels. (So far there is nothing in the upper levels that make me consider that.) FWIW, I would say that, even at $35, DTVN is a bargain and having used it for some time now, I would sign on for that amount without question.

A similar thing happened with PlayOn -- I bought in for a one-time payment of $25 for a lifetime subscription. BTW, this program is incredible for recording streaming video (either to the cloud or a local drive). In addition, their Playback program is pretty impressive although I, personally, use SageTV for that,

I guess I should mention PLEX, also. I got in on the ground floor there too. PLEX and KODI were originally the same company. There became a difference of opinion among the programmers. Some wanted to go in the direction of making it open-source so that users could personalize every aspect. The other group wanted to make the program more user-friendly and prevent (most) user tweaking. KODI is just too complicated and time consuming for me but PLEX fits my use perfectly.
Closed Thread