Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I often use captions when watching the English mystery shows. Some of the accents are a bit hard to understand.

I am a big fan of British/Australian/Canadian programming. I agree, they are impossible to watch without CC -- separated by common language and all.

I also need an Acronym dictionary -- Google it. For instance, https://www.google.com/search?newwin...30.pC-koMglV0I

A good one is https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/en...lice-acronyms/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #722
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting thread!

My 9 year old OTA DVR solution using a PC running linux & an open source solution called MythTV has begun to hang randomly & I cannot pin point the issue. I think some connection is getting flaky on the motherboard, so it is time to consider a new solution.

The easiest would be to build/buy a new pc and install mythtv, but we now want to watch from two TVs, and the mythtv doesn't play well with off the shelf streaming devices like Roku. So, we'd have to build a front end using a small computer. I've tried the Raspberry PI 3, but it isn't without issues. I'd rather be able to use a ROKU or a smart-tv app.

Right now, I'm testing out Plex DVR running on my desktop PC & using Roku to stream the recordings to the TV. It isn't as slick as Mythtv, but is workable. If we go the plex route, I'll buy a nvidia shield to act as the DVR/media center.

The features I miss most are:
- the 30 second forward skip.

- Commercial Skip: Plex has a way to get rid of commercials, but since it cuts out the commercial from the video, it sometimes gets rid of pieces of programming by mistake too. Mythtv puts markers around commercials so you can skip to the next marker & rewind if the commercial-skip made an error.
- Fast forward / Rewind : In mythtv, you can see the video stream by in high speed like you would on a DVD, but not so with Roku/Plex.

I have to investigate Kodi since it has a mythtv plug-in.

SageTV has been acquired by Google, so I am unsure of what its current status is.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #723
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
SageTV has been acquired by Google, so I am unsure of what its current status is.
SageTV was acquired by Google about 7-8 years ago. However, a couple years ago, they decided to abandon it. It is now open-source and has a pretty large and knowledgeable user group. (It has been my "main" OTA system for over ten years.) A visit to the SageTV User Forum will get you up-to-date -- https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/

TBH, after reading your post, SageTV would be just what you are looking for and you seem to have the expertise to implement it. (Not that it take that much knowledge.)
Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #724

RB,

Guess that is my point ... they (I used the word box as a former aerospace guy) are morphing, some overlapping purposes.

I understand that tuners tune - also, odd as it is, my "cheap" 70" Vizio does not have a tuner :-)

So, still have two basic options, right?

1. The OTA tuner/DVR/etc box receives OTA and sends signal to the TV via HDMI
2. The OTA tuner/DVR/etc box receives OTA and sends signal to the router via ethernet or perhaps even wirelessly where it can be shared within the field of that router to any device

In my case, I would have an OTA antenna, coax to the OTA box (tuner or enhanced device like Tivo, Silicon Dust, Tablo), HDMI to TV or ethernet to router. Can then select OTA via the HDMI selector, or have the OTA input show on the streaming device (I have Apple TV box). Many folks already have a streaming device, so this latter approach is pretty transparent and doesn't require switching HDMI inputs (not a big deal, but ....).
Old 09-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #725

Quote:
The easiest would be to build/buy a new pc and install mythtv, but we now want to watch from two TVs, and the mythtv doesn't play well with off the shelf streaming devices like Roku. So, we'd have to build a front end using a small computer. I've tried the Raspberry PI 3, but it isn't without issues. I'd rather be able to use a ROKU or a smart-tv app.

Right now, I'm testing out Plex DVR running on my desktop PC & using Roku to stream the recordings to the TV. It isn't as slick as Mythtv, but is workable. If we go the plex route, I'll buy a nvidia shield to act as the DVR/media center.

- Commercial Skip: Plex has a way to get rid of commercials, but since it cuts out the commercial from the video, it sometimes gets rid of pieces of programming by mistake too. Mythtv puts markers around commercials so you can skip to the next marker & rewind if the commercial-skip made an error.
- Fast forward / Rewind : In mythtv, you can see the video stream by in high speed like you would on a DVD, but not so with Roku/Plex.

I also have a MythTV server, and have been using a Roku unit with the Plex client to watch MythTV recorded shows. I'm running the Plex server software simultaneously with MythTV server software. No conflicts. I do run mythlink.pl to link the Plex directory with the MythTV shows. You can check it out here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl . I agree that fast forward using the Plex client is poor.

I can send you the exact mythlink.pl options I use if you're interested.

I used to use Kodi with the MythTV plugin running on a Raspberry Pi, but wanted to reduce the number of set top boxes to one. I repurposed the Raspberry Pi to run Pihole on my network, and it's working very well for that.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #726
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
RB,

Guess that is my point ... they (I used the word box as a former aerospace guy) are morphing, some overlapping purposes.

I understand that tuners tune - also, odd as it is, my "cheap" 70" Vizio does not have a tuner :-)

So, still have two basic options, right?

1. The OTA tuner/DVR/etc box receives OTA and sends signal to the TV via HDMI
2. The OTA tuner/DVR/etc box receives OTA and sends signal to the router via ethernet or perhaps even wirelessly where it can be shared within the field of that router to any device

In my case, I would have an OTA antenna, coax to the OTA box (tuner or enhanced device like Tivo, Silicon Dust, Tablo), HDMI to TV or ethernet to router. Can then select OTA via the HDMI selector, or have the OTA input show on the streaming device (I have Apple TV box). Many folks already have a streaming device, so this latter approach is pretty transparent and doesn't require switching HDMI inputs (not a big deal, but ....).

I guess to get it all straight in my mind, I need to separate all these things.

The Tuner is a separate entity that only converts the signal from the Antenna for use by the TV. It can be combined with another device or a completely separate device. "Built-in" would include any device that needs a TV signal to do it's job -- a TV, TIVO, Tablo.

A DVR (Digital Video Recorder) is exactly what it sounds like -- a device that records programs -- like the ol' VHS. This can be a device specific to that purpose or simply a hard drive on your computer (with needed software). PlayOn, which is purely recording only, is one of my favorites in this category.

A "streaming" device is what is needed to receive programming over the Internet -- ROKU, Shield, etc.

SiliconDust takes some further explanation. They are in business primarily to make and sell tuners. In the past year, they recognized the opportunity in the Cord Cutter area. They developed a program called HDHomeRun. This uses your computer to connect directly to their tuners (wired or wireless) so you can watch local programming on your computer (or mobile device). The DVR portion of HDHomeRun records to your computer or the cloud. They have in the last several weeks added streaming networks on a subscription basis.

Plex (and its parent, KODI) and SageTV are similar to HDHomeRun and is beyond the space here to explain simply. It is best to go to their respective web site or User Forum to fully understand.

Yes, there is a lot of players (or should I say actors?) in this area and it's very easy to become confused. Each of them (including the biggies AT&T and Verizon) each have their own spin on what they say they can do.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #727
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally I'll sacrifice some functionality/convenience to keep things less expensive and less complicated. Things are changing so quickly in this area that I'd rather spend half as much or less and get 80% of the functionality/convenience and then be ready to change with the technology rather than feel stuck with what I have due to the investment (in time and/or energy and/or money) I've made in my particular solution. It's not a hobby for me, it's a way to conveniently receive the desired programming at a considerably lower price.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastOfTheBoomers View Post
Funny Story - I’ve been talking to a family member that just retired about YouTubeTV - how it is cheaper and has a DVR - so when they stopped by for a visit - I fired up the Roku and put on a baseball game - she commented “It looks just like regular TV!”

I didn’t know what to say - I wonder if some people think streaming would be grainy?
I put a football game on my Fire stick with 25MB internet last night to compare to Dish satellite. When I run speed tests I get close to 25MB and low latency and jitter. The quality just isn't good. It's a bit choppy, like the frame rate is low, perhaps. Not smooth like viewing through Dish or OTA. With baseball, maybe you can't tell as much, or maybe you have a better connection.

My streaming is not "just like regular TV". I'm not giving up satellite this year. Rumors are we may get fiber here in 2019. I'll check it out again then.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #729
Give me a forum ...

I also like jumping around between games, and using a streaming device does not make that easy. I have to exit one game, and go find the other game I want in a menu of selections. That's if both are from the same provider, like ESPN. If I want to jump between ESPN and Fox Sports, like I did last night, I had to go between the two apps, and find and load the new game. Much more work than jumping between two stations on Satellite. Granted, I have to know the channel number, or else page through the guide, but I usually know the channel, and I don't lose the current game I'm watching until it actually switches to the new, as the current stays in a little box in the corner of my guide. No comparison on ease of use. Satellite is much better. I can even run my OTA through the satellite box so I don't have to switch inputs if I want an OTA channel.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #730

Quote:
Interesting thread!

My 9 year old OTA DVR solution using a PC running linux & an open source solution called MythTV has begun to hang randomly & I cannot pin point the issue. I think some connection is getting flaky on the motherboard, so it is time to consider a new solution.

Easiest is to wait until Tivo's Thanksgiving sale.

Last year I bought a Roamio OTA (4-tuner) w/ lifetime service for $199.

Add a Tivo Mini for the other TV.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #731
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

I am not that familiar with TIVO -- I have never been convinced of its value (although, I have never researched it in any way). So excuse me if I am way off base.

I notice that the current price is $399. In what way is it better/cheaper than say Plex -- which looking at the TIVO website does the same thing? (Without the hardware, btw... assuming one already has a computer.)
Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #732
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

Good tip, that's a great deal!

How do the TiVo Mini and TiVo interface? Wired or wirelessly?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
Good tip, that's a great deal!

How do the TiVo Mini and TiVo interface? Wired or wirelessly?
Wireless doesn't work well. You connect with either traditional wired ethernet or MOCA , which is ethernet over coax.

Moca is more useful than it seems since it runs over the same cabling as cable TV service. Many people have this in their house.

I have a moca connection between a TiVo Bolt upstairs (it gets a good over the air signal up there) and the family room TiVo Mini. It just works.

My brother tried a similar setup with WiFi in his apartment (no cabling available there) and it worked OK, sometimes, but not really. Apparently TiVo doesn't compress the video as much as other options and WiFi can't really handle it. Stick to ethernet or moca if you have TiVo.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #734
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Wireless doesn't work well. You connect with either traditional wired ethernet or MOCA , which is ethernet over coax.

Moca is more useful than it seems since it runs over the same cabling as cable TV service. Many people have this in their house.

I have a moca connection between a TiVo Bolt upstairs (it gets a good over the air signal up there) and the family room TiVo Mini. It just works.

My brother tried a similar setup with WiFi in his apartment (no cabling available there) and it worked OK, sometimes, but not really. Apparently TiVo doesn't compress the video as much as other options and WiFi can't really handle it. Stick to ethernet or moca if you have TiVo.
I have an attic antenna with coax running from it a distribution box where it splits to 4 TVs. One of those TVs is in the family room and it has a TV Roamio OTA 1TB DVR. Can I use the existing coax to establish a Moca connection between the family room TiVo and a TiVo Mini on one or more of the other 3 TVs?
Old 09-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #735
Give me a forum ...

Yes TiVo has built in MOCA. Otherwise you’d need MOCA adapters.

You just have to connect the main Tivo to Ethernet.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
I also have a MythTV server, and have been using a Roku unit with the Plex client to watch MythTV recorded shows. I'm running the Plex server software simultaneously with MythTV server software. No conflicts. I do run mythlink.pl to link the Plex directory with the MythTV shows. You can check it out here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl . I agree that fast forward using the Plex client is poor.

I can send you the exact mythlink.pl options I use if you're interested.

I used to use Kodi with the MythTV plugin running on a Raspberry Pi, but wanted to reduce the number of set top boxes to one. I repurposed the Raspberry Pi to run Pihole on my network, and it's working very well for that.

Thanks for the offer Jim. If I decide to build another mythtv box, then I'll definitely take you up on the offer.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
SageTV was acquired by Google about 7-8 years ago. However, a couple years ago, they decided to abandon it. It is now open-source and has a pretty large and knowledgeable user group. (It has been my "main" OTA system for over ten years.) A visit to the SageTV User Forum will get you up-to-date -- https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/

TBH, after reading your post, SageTV would be just what you are looking for and you seem to have the expertise to implement it. (Not that it take that much knowledge.)

Thanks Ron. I'll check that out.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #738
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Yes TiVo has built in MOCA. Otherwise you’d need MOCA adapters.

You just have to connect the main Tivo to Ethernet.
Why do I need the main TV connected to ethernet? My goal is to share the TiVo guide and recorded OTA shows to my other TVs.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #739
Give me a forum ...

Tivo requires an Internet connection to download the guide.

On older models, they used to have modems and you had to connect a phone line.

There are other Tivo services you get, for instance the ability to stream Tivo recordings to phones and iPads through the Tivo mobile app.

But basically, an ethernet connection enables TCP/IP through the MOCA network.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #740
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Tivo requires an Internet connection to download the guide.

On older models, they used to have modems and you had to connect a phone line.

There are other Tivo services you get, for instance the ability to stream Tivo recordings to phones and iPads through the Tivo mobile app.

But basically, an ethernet connection enables TCP/IP through the MOCA network.
Thanks. I opened a chat with TiVo and discovered that because I have fiber internet I need to 'escalate' my inquiry by calling them. This came up when I asked about the filter they picture in their diagram on the internet coax connection. I have no coax with fiber internet, just ethernet in my house. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to call.
Closed Thread