Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #741
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am not that familiar with TIVO -- I have never been convinced of its value (although, I have never researched it in any way). So excuse me if I am way off base.

I notice that the current price is $399. In what way is it better/cheaper than say Plex -- which looking at the TIVO website does the same thing? (Without the hardware, btw... assuming one already has a computer.)
Tivo is a standalone solution - no need to run a server, just a box that you plug into your TV via HDMI.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I

I notice that the current price is $399. In what way is it better/cheaper than say Plex -- which looking at the TIVO website does the same thing? (Without the hardware, btw... assuming one already has a computer.)
Well for starters my Tivo Roamio OTA box works reliably ($300 for new one and $200 for the refurbished other one, including lifetime guide, but no 4K). I have tried Plex and have had problems with it losing the connection to my computer, freezing up and other annoying things. I finally gave up on it. My Tivo works 99.9% of the time. When it doesn't, a restart usually fixes the problem.

Plex probably does more with more types of media, but most of what it does I am not interested in.

The Tivo does what I want and does it very well: records shows, plays back shows, has multiple recording options, buffers the four tuners so I can stop a show I am watching walk away for up to 30 minutes and come back to where I was, it has skip-mode that works with some popular shows and allows me to skip commercials, FF, RW, etc. etc. etc. It is easily used by others in my household - very important.

FWIW, the parts most likely to fail (fan, disk drive, power supply) are easily repairable. Check out the Weakknees website: https://www.weaknees.com/ No, I don't know why they gave it that name.

Note: I can remember only one time in the past two years I needed to use all four tuners, and it's nice to know that they are there. IMHO, two are not enough, at least three. And, better four for the once every two years conflicts.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #743
Administrator

Found a price increase notice from DIRECTV Now this morning in my email. Price going from $35 to $40 per month for the "Live a Little" package, effective 10/10. They highlight "True Cloud DVR" as an enhancement.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #744
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Verizon says home 5G service will be 300 Mbps to 1 Gbps, single second latencies and no caps or throttling whatsoever.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-no-data-caps/

If nothing else, maybe this will force Comcast to drop their caps, which would be good for streaming.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #745
Give me a forum ...

A bit of competition would be nice.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #746
Recycles dryer sheets

My in-laws recently moved. They wanted a cheaper streaming service. We have had Playstation (Sony) Vue for 2.5 years. Very happy with it. Their one requirement was ALL the local channels had to be there. We have all except ABC for some reason on Vue.

They are testing out Hulu Live. All the locals are there for $39.99/month. The Vue interface (Fire TV) is much better. Hulu looks like a computer screen layout was transferred to the TV. (It was I think).

The font sizes are very small on Hulu Live/Fire TV. No way to enlarge for old eyes.

They are still testing. DirecTVNow does not have the locals. Vue is missing ABC. SlingTV and Philo have no locals. They have a FireTV, so no way currently to try YouTubeTV.

Vue still offers the best value proposition, but it is $10 more for a similar package. You can always authenticate to the ABC app, but no local news/shows yet with local ABC missing here.

Lots of options and things to consider.
bloom2708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #747
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I also like jumping around between games, and using a streaming device does not make that easy.

I dropped AT&T U-verse TV and went with a streaming service (Vue). Switching between games was one of my concerns too. It definitely isnít as easy as traditional TV, but there are some options.

The Vue app on my Fire TV does allow me to switch back and forth between two stations with just one button. Doesnít help if youíre trying to watch more than two games, but at least itís something.

Also, I sometimes use the ESPN app if I want to watch multiple games that are all being broadcast on ESPN. It takes a few clicks to switch to a different game, but easier than switching to a different app.

This past weekend, I really wanted to watch both the LSU and Texas A&M games, so I drug a second TV to my living room and watched both simultaneously. I joked with DW that we should permanently add four more screens to the living room. I donít think she was too enthusiastic about that option.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
If nothing else, maybe this will force Comcast to drop their caps, which would be good for streaming.
"Don't expect that things will change until things change." I could not count the number of online posters that declared that FiOS would "force Comcast to..." (insert action here - lower prices, become more competitive, etc.) Instead, FiOS ended up costing just as much as Comcast, and provided only slightly better service to the small minority of the nation that were blessed by Verizon to be within its FiOS footprint. As a matter of fact, I think we can guess what this means:
Quote:
Quote:
Verizon said its 300Mbps to 1Gbps download speeds are achieved with "deep fiber resources throughout the network"
It means that there will be yet another blessed footprint, and so again the deployment of the service will provide a bonus for that small portion of the customer base, not enough to be much more than annoyance to Comcast. Surely not enough to disrupt their business model.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Verizon says home 5G service will be 300 Mbps to 1 Gbps, single second latencies and no caps or throttling whatsoever.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-no-data-caps/

I'll drop a C Note on the table and wager that even befoee 5G gets critical mass it will have caps and/or throttling. 4G came in under same pretence, would solve all the worlds problems and be unlimited. We all see where we are today.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #750

Since I've been back to the states, these past 3 years, I only got internet and found various ways to get to free shows including through Roku which came free when Spectrum was offering it as part of their monthly TV service which I cancelled within 2 weeks. Recently, I subscribed to their TV Choice plus local channels for $25 including tax. I wanted reliable CNN access. I found 95% of the old shows being offering boring and of poor quality. I also was not used to having to waste so much time on advertising. I cancelled the service at no cost to me. I did notice that the CNNGo Spectrum on Roku continued to be accessible even after cancelling the TV service. so that is a plus SO FAR. If it stops be accessible, i'l just subscribed to CNN directly for less than $50 a year.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #751
Recycles dryer sheets

Where do you subscribe to CNN directly? I just looked and the way I understood it you have to subscribe to a TV provider to get it. I don't want CNN, but Fox News would be of interest alone. I have not found that without a provider, and currently use Spectrum Choice App for $30 a month + 3 for locals.I get locals over the air, but can get on demand with the Spectrum App.
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Where do you subscribe to CNN directly? I just looked and the way I understood it you have to subscribe to a TV provider to get it. I don't want CNN, but Fox News would be of interest alone. I have not found that without a provider, and currently use Spectrum Choice App for $30 a month + 3 for locals.I get locals over the air, but can get on demand with the Spectrum App.
CNN offers it directly. I don't know or would ever be interested in subscribing to FAUX News.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #753
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
CNN offers it directly. I don't know or would ever be interested in subscribing to FAUX News.
You got a link? Everything I find says you have to subscribe to an app, the cheapest is Sling, but articles say you have to have a provider.

We don't agree on our news providers, but we can still be civil. This is a good forum for civility.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #754

Quote:
You got a link? Everything I find says you have to subscribe to an app, the cheapest is Sling, but articles say you have to have a provider.

We don't agree on our news providers, but we can still be civil. This is a good forum for civility.
I believe I was being civil to you but the other media company IMO is as much a "NEWS" provider as is InfoWars.

Here is the link I mentioned. As I stated, it is a direct link to CNN.
CNN.com - About Us
Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #755
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I believe I was being civil to you but the other media company IMO is as much a "NEWS" provider as is InfoWars.

Here is the link I mentioned. As I stated, it is a direct link to CNN.
CNN.com - About Us
MJ,
I'm sorry if you thought I meant you were anything but civil. You have been very civil. I was committing that it is great on this site, you don't have much use for Fox News, and I don't have much use for CNN, BUT we can still discuss streaming civilly. Many places you can not. Your link is for a service that is called CNN Newswatch, not the TV channel.
CNN today announces the launch of Newswatch, a personal news service designed to provide Internet-based desktop access to news tailored to the interests and needs of users. Powered by San Diego-based Infogate, the subscription-based service displays continuously updated information related to news topics selected by the user. The information is received through full-screen visuals, breaking news alerts and a continuously scrolling ticker across the top of the screen, and can be routed to the user's desktop, e-mail or mobile device.
From CNN website

FAQs about Live TV
Why do I need to sign in with my TV service provider information?
Your TV subscription that includes CNN is your key to watching CNN TV online. When you sign in through your TV service provider, you confirm your CNN TV subscription.

Who has access?
TV Everywhere is accessible by viewers in the United States who are current subscribers to a partner cable or satellite TV service and have CNN as part of their channel package.

Where do I get my login name and password?
Please contact your TV service provider directly for this information. Tip: for many providers, you can use the same login name and password you use to log onto the provider's website.

What if my TV service provider is not listed?
Live TV is available only through participating TV service providers. We are always partnering with new providers. Contact yours for more information and check back again soon.
__________________________________________________ ________
I would like for them be able to be purchased individually, but I've never found it, and I have been looking for quite a while.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #756

Quote:
MJ,
I'm sorry if you thought I meant you were anything but civil. You have been very civil. I was committing that it is great on this site, you don't have much use for Fox News, and I don't have much use for CNN, BUT we can still discuss streaming civilly. Many places you can not. Your link is for a service that is called CNN Newswatch, not the TV channel.
No worries.
Since I didn't need to get a CNN subscription yet, I didn't read the fine print.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #757

And that underscores a recurring problem in this space: The OTT options all seem to be either illusory, transitory, of niche interest, or otherwise inferior to their cable counterparts.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #758
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am not that familiar with TIVO -- I have never been convinced of its value (although, I have never researched it in any way). So excuse me if I am way off base.

Wow, I'm sorry I didn't notice this thread sooner! I've been using DVRs since 1999 (I started with ReplayTVs) and have a Plex server running on a 11TB QNAP NAS.

I love my DVRs, because I watch shows on my schedule rather than someone else's. I also stop and pick up again whenever I feel like it. The main reason it's better than a VCR is you can almost instantly choose any show you've recorded, instead of searching through and FF/REW through tapes.

Plex definitely takes a lot more effort, but it's worth it to me. My partner and I would buy a lot of TV shows on DVD when really good shows got canceled, as the networks are wont to do. But with the ascendance of Netflix and other streaming services, we found we weren't watching the DVDs that much, because they weren't as convenient. Also, the whole reason this is a hobby of mine is that my ultimate hope and goal is to have all my media at my fingertips in one interface.

It was a lot of work. I had to rip every disc to the server, then rename the files so that Plex would be able to properly catalog the content. And it still doesn't recognize movie extras (deleted scenes, behind the scenes, etc) automatically, but it usually gets all the TV episodes correct, and it downloads episode title, description, thumbnail, cast, etc. from the internet automagically.

I had to allow Plex to basically downconvert (transcode) the video files or else videos would stall out fairly often. But I really don't notice the difference in quality, and I'm normally pretty picky about that.

Here are some shots of Plex on my laptop. (There is a Plex app for Roku and smart TVs, so I can watch any of these shows on any TV in my house, in addition to my computers and my phone.) I think the interface is quite good, and remember, all I did was name a folder the name of the series, then make sure each episode is named, say, Firefly - S01E02.mkv. (I recommend Filebot and/or Bulk Rename Utility to save time on big collections.)

Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #759
Give me a forum ...

Got a new player in town. As in ... Amazon :

Quote:
Amazon's inexpensive Fire TV sticks and streamers are already favorites of cable TV cord-cutters, but the company's latest Fire TV box demands more of an investment, starting at $230. What it delivers afterward, however, is totally free.
The Amazon Fire TV Recast is an antenna DVR, designed to hook up to an over-the-air TV antenna and pull in your local, free TV broadcasts. In most areas that includes live local news, sports like NFL football and network shows from ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS, among others. (Note: CBS is the parent company of CNET.)
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/amazon-...cast-preview/#
Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #760
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
My in-laws recently moved. They wanted a cheaper streaming service. We have had Playstation (Sony) Vue for 2.5 years. Very happy with it. Their one requirement was ALL the local channels had to be there. We have all except ABC for some reason on Vue.

They are still testing. DirecTVNow does not have the locals. Vue is missing ABC. SlingTV and Philo have no locals. They have a FireTV, so no way currently to try YouTubeTV.

Vue still offers the best value proposition, but it is $10 more for a similar package. You can always authenticate to the ABC app, but no local news/shows yet with local ABC missing here.

Lots of options and things to consider.
Those of you on the fence, don't assume what locals you'll have from PlayStation Vue or others based on someone else's channel lineup. If you're near a large metro area like we are, with PS Vue you WILL have them all - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox & Telemundo. In other metro or rural areas you may be missing one or several majors. You have to check out your SPECIFIC location by address to know. And this changes all the time, you may have networks now that weren't available 6-12 months ago. FWIW

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote