Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are to the point where the $$ we pay for cable TV with a premium package would be far better spent on bills, or increasing our savings. Over $200 a month to watch shows that can be found on the internet, or use a gaming system. About the only shows I watch anymore are some DISCOVERY Alaska shows, and football, with a few car shows in there.

My wife is the problem, she watches everything !

Finally did it!

Spectrum announced that the price was going up in February, but when my husband called to bargain with them, they told him that he had to wait until the price went up before they could tell him if they could offer a "special deal". It finally pushed him over the edge.

We have 7 day introductory services with YouTube TV and DirecTV. They both provide the two cable channels and the one network channel that we watch (before The Good Place, we hadn't watched a network for years). YouTube costs less without HBO, but with HBO the services are the same price. With either one we'll save almost $100/month (we still don't know what the new price would have been!) They both stream well without glitches. YouTube offers more "cloud DVR" space which isn't that important with so many on-demand choices. We also have Netflix and Acorn subscriptions as well as access to the PBS streaming service via donation.

I firmly believe that the viewing experience is smoother and better overall from a good satellite source than from even a very high speed Internet source.

My viewing of select Amazon/Netflix 4K HDR movies and shows would beg to differ with you. Rock solid and great picture/sound quality via Comcast HSI. I can't see how a sat feed would be any better.

Last edited:
My viewing of select Amazon/Netflix 4K HDR movies and shows would beg to differ with you. Rock solid and great picture/sound quality via Comcast HSI. I can't see how a sat feed would be any better.
I agree. If anything our PS Vue picture quality is better than Dish Network satellite was, but I'd judge them essentially equal. I think all the streaming services offer free trials (PS Vue, Sling, YouTube TV, Hulu Live, DirecTV Now, Netflix, etc.) - so I'd recommend for others to do a free trial and see for yourself. If you don't have a smart TV or streamer, maybe you can borrow a streamer (I have a Chromecast I don't use anymore, maybe your family/neighbors)? Just be sure your internet bandwidth is adequate, at least 10 Mbps for HD, though I wouldn't recommend less than 25 Mbps.

FWIW, here is our Home Theater setup:

Equipment:

3 TVs - 1) Vizio PQ65-F1 and 2) Visio D32F-F1
Yamaha RX-A3080 - Darbee Darblet DVP-5000
3-Roku Ultras and 1-nVidia Shield
SageTV v9 - HD300
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun units (10 tuners)
3) rooftop antennas (2-UHF, 1-VHF/UHF)
DSL Internet

Subscriptions:

DirecTV NOW - Live a Little
HBO GO
SHOWTIME Anytime
PBS
Amazon Prime
HULU
Netflix
Acorn
CBS All Access

EDIT: I forgot some most important other things - PLEX, PlayOn, and the HDHomeRun App. I have the free version of HDHomeRun App but would immediately switch from DirecTV NOW to the pay version if things go south with DTVN.

Last edited:
I’m not going to provide as much detail but:
  • 3 TV’s, Samsung 55” 4K fam room, Sony Bravia 40” 1080p mstr bdr, Sony Bravia 36” 720p exercise room
  • 1 Roku Ultra, 2 Roku Streaming Stick +
  • PlayStation Vue Core Package ($49.99/mo)
  • PBS Passport ($5/mo, actually $60/yr)
  • about a dozen free streaming apps/channels - YouTube, NewsOn, Weather Nation, Pluto, Vudu, Tubi, etc.
  • XFinity Internet 25 mbps
That’s it, we’re saving so much over satellite (over $500/yr) I told DW we should get Netflix, HBO and/or Prime because she loves movies, but she is fine with the free Roku channel and movies on PS Vue.

I have an OTA antenna and it works well, but I don’t bother with it. DW was UNHAPPY with changing input sources (pick your battles).

We have a Blu-Ray player, but we rarely use it, maybe 2-3 times a year?

I also have a Chromecast I don’t use.

And I watch YouTube more than TV anyway, 40+ subscriptions.

Last edited:
What's that total every month?

DTVN/HBO/Showtime = $23.84
PBS = 5.00
Prime = $10.27 (if assigning the total to TV)
HULU = $5.99
Netflix = $14.50
Acorn - $4.99
CBS = $5.99

Total = $70.58

(Note: I am adding a couple things to my earlier post.)

9?

note: all numbers in RonBoyd's quote were placed by redduck

I am not sure of the question but DTVN/HBO/Showtime are on a combined invoice. (I got a really good deal for being one of the first DTVN subscribers and was part of the BETA team.)

When listing services, shouldn't you be including the cost of internet? I'm thinking that to get a true comparison of cord cutting to satellite or cable, which do not necessarily need internet to function.

Not sure if you read the details of my post that you quoted, but I'm referring to video stuttering and what appear to be skipped frames. I see this routinely on Netflix, even when watching on a latest-gen Roku device with a 200 Mbps Internet feed. I never see this type of stuttering or skipped frames when watching something from my DirecTV DVR. I've noticed it often enough, in multiple and varied environments, to conclude that it's somehow fundamental to the streaming video technologies/networks/etc. But I'm certainly open to other explanations. Just reporting what I've directly observed. And I should also add that it's a minor enough annoyance that it probably wouldn't be enough to keep me from switching from satellite TV to Internet streaming if—all other things being roughly equal—the price differential gets large enough.

I am not sure of the question but DTVN/HBO/Showtime are on a combined invoice. (I got a really good deal for being one of the first DTVN subscribers and was part of the BETA team.)

Oh, I was just a bit unsure of my counting ability. Has nothing to do with how you presented. Sorry for the confusion.

When listing services, shouldn't you be including the cost of internet? I'm thinking that to get a true comparison of cord cutting to satellite or cable, which do not necessarily need internet to function.

Yes, that is correct... in a perfect world. However, I am unsure how to separate out the non-TV usage of my Internet usage -- a guess would be about 10%. This is the same problem I have with Amazon Prime. We use the streaming service maybe every month or so. On the other hand, I spend 10's of thousands of dollars for the two day delivery service.

Additionally, in both cases, I had the service before needing to stream so it was more a "get more use" than "add a cost" situation.

Anyway, if you can suggest a way to get an accurate accounting, I would be appreciative.

We’ve had this debate before and it’s a fair question, but I don’t think you can assume internet is part of the cost of streaming. I know advocates for cable and satellite always add internet costs to make themselves look closer to competitive (they still aren’t IME), but it’s not that simple.

I don’t include it because we’d have internet access regardless. For all the years we had cable and then satellite we also had internet access. We did not have to upgrade our internet bandwidth for streaming, the difference might be a legit cost of streaming. So it’s truly not an added cost for us.

No, the Internet costs should not be included unless you are didn't previously have a high speed Internet connection and are subscribing to a new one in order to cut the cable/satellite cord. But most people already have HSI, regardless of their TV service provider, so it's a fixed cost. If you need to upgrade to a higher Internet speed just so you can get reliable streaming TV service, then of course the incremental cost to upgrade should be included when comparing it to cable/sat.

Not sure if you read the details of my post that you quoted, but I'm referring to video stuttering and what appear to be skipped frames. I see this routinely on Netflix, even when watching on a latest-gen Roku device with a 200 Mbps Internet feed.

I'm not a Netflix subscriber but haven't seen what you describe (video stuttering/skipped frames) when streaming Amazon Prime, which we do almost every day.

Not sure if you read the details of my post that you quoted, but I'm referring to video stuttering and what appear to be skipped frames. I see this routinely on Netflix, even when watching on a latest-gen Roku device with a 200 Mbps Internet feed. I never see this type of stuttering or skipped frames when watching something from my DirecTV DVR. I've noticed it often enough, in multiple and varied environments, to conclude that it's somehow fundamental to the streaming video technologies/networks/etc. But I'm certainly open to other explanations. Just reporting what I've directly observed. And I should also add that it's a minor enough annoyance that it probably wouldn't be enough to keep me from switching from satellite TV to Internet streaming if—all other things being roughly equal—the price differential gets large enough.

It all depends upon your internet provider and your delivery mechanism. That slight stuttering is one of the things I noticed when comparing DSL and Cable modem, where the stuttering was with the DSL I had at the time. [if I would have had fiber optic into the house like REwah0o is getting, the test might have had a different outcome.]

Also a factor is the quality of the program source. Fast moving sports are difficult to watch even on my current internet access, but fine on the Dish feed. It's the main reason we keep Dish. On the internet feeds, the sports are just jumpy enough that it can cause motion sickness type effects. I looked it up the best I could, and it probably has to do with the producer of the content using lower quality transmission? I wasn't sure, but enough other people have that issue it was talked about in various forums.

At my former home in Colorado, the internet service was so spotty that I considered having both cable and DSL internet so I could work from home uninterrupted. So as usual YMMV

I'm not a Netflix subscriber but haven't seen what you describe (video stuttering/skipped frames) when streaming Amazon Prime, which we do almost every day.

I am a Netflix subscriber but have never had anything resembling "stuttering" or "skips." I, also, have never seen it on any other service. FWIW, we use the ROKU unit almost exclusively for streaming -- or PlayOn to record so as to skip commercials. I just checked my Internet speed (CenturyLink - DSL) and found 32.73 mbps down and 4.34 mbps up. -- a little slow but within acceptable range.

I would be more inclined to blame the IP rather than a streaming service for video quality issues.

Yep, same here.

I think most of us would still have internet access even if we never watched a single program on TV.

I suppose if one has to pay for extra bytes because one streams TV shows, that would be a legitimate extra internet expense. Or if one had to upgrade to a higher speed to get good 'reception' of video that would also be a legitimate extra.

Edited to add - also include any increase in the cost of internet if not part of a TV package.

I spend about $14 a month on Netflix, and I figure about 1/2 of my Amazon Prime bill is for videos. So put me down for and extra $20 a month, then add in about $5 a month to amortize the cost of my Tivo equipment and lifetime guide subscription. So - $25 a month, total.

Even if they lowered my internet price 1/2 for bundling it with TV, I wouild still be paying nearly $100 more per month than I am now

Last edited:
When evaluating whether to cut the cord, you should generally include internet in the analysis for the simple reason that internet often goes up when you drop your TV and/or home phone service. That increase is an incremental cost of "cutting the cord." Certainly happened to us when we dropped FiOS TV service.

OTOH, if you're just listing/comparing various post cord-cutting TV streaming services, options, and cost, then yes, internet is irrelevant. I think the gist of this thread is more the former. But after over 1100 posts, who really knows.

When evaluating whether to cut the cord, you should generally include internet in the analysis for the simple reason that internet often goes up when you drop your TV and/or home phone service. That increase is an incremental cost of "cutting the cord." Certainly happened to us when we dropped FiOS TV service.

OTOH, if you're just listing/comparing various post cord-cutting TV streaming services, options, and cost, then yes, internet is irrelevant. I think the gist of this thread is more the former. But after over 1100 posts, who really knows.
I’d agree with adding in any $ increase. We never signed on to any double/triple plays, so our internet cost has not increased. In fact, to my surprise Comcast bumped up mbps for all tiers without a price increase! I’m sure there will be an increase eventually, but from what I read cable/satellite TV providers are increasing their subscription fees faster than ever lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom