Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #1301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting it now ... have been watching lon.tv on youtube for the last two hours ... thank you for taking the time to make this clearer!

Biggest change, apparently, is the ability of Apple TV to access apps - and, that developers have modified to allow to run on Apple TV ... looks like a big deal.

Did you investigate Roku or Nvidia solutions for getting the OTA via Homerun onto your tv? I'm Apple across phones and pads and computers ... but, willing to try other options ...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #1302
Recycles dryer sheets

stephenson,

I did not investigate the other solutions, even though they are less expensive. I decided I was invested in the Apple system which works pretty seamlessly across devices. I'm even beginning to use Apple HomeKit, which also works with the Apple TV, for home automation (lighting, thermostats). My goal is to use technology to simplify my life and from my perspective using multiple vendors to deliver rapidly changing technology only makes life more complicated. From what I have read, Apple seems more committed to security and privacy than some other tech companies.

I have no doubt one could put together more advanced systems by cobbling together devices from multiple vendors. However, that requires research time and multiple learning curves. In retirement I'd rather play than spend hours trying to understand the latest and greatest in the tech world. In essence, I'm delegating that task to Apple and gladly paying the Apple premium price for an integrated system. After all, I don't know how many grains of sand are left in my life's hourglass. I do know at my age each minute is extremely valuable!

Overall I'm very happy with the system as it is constructed. I wish Silicon Dust would get its HomeRun app developed for the Apple TV. However, the Channels app works well enough. I think I mentioned in an earlier post 95% of our viewing is streaming. We watch very little over the air TV. MeTV is my favorite over the air network. I enjoy Perry Mason and Hogan's Heroes. We also catch the local news from time to time. That's about it other than the occasional college basketball game broadcast locally.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #1303

Gotcha - and thanks, again.

I like the Apple TV interface, I subconsciously just started using it vice the other methods to control various streaming content ... it was just easier.

After reviewing some of the Lon.tv reviews and how tos on youtube, there apparently are some advantages of both the Nvidia and Roku over Apple TV, but they don't appear to be quite a pleasant and seamless.

Another edit - Plex app appears to be a good solution for viewing OTA from the Homerun ... have you tried it on your Apple TVs?

When SD gets their app developed for Apple TV, does that mean it will provide suitable program guide so Channels won't be necessary?
Old 02-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #1304
Recycles dryer sheets

stephenson,

I suspect Channels will be a better program guide than the HD Homerun app. It is a better guide than the HD Homerun implementation on the iPad and iPhone.

I've read about Plex but have not tried it.

If I wasn't so invested in the Apple ecosystem I'd probably have gone with Roku.

My biggest concern about my system is the future of Silicon Dust. I know nothing about their business model or the state of their business.

Lots of variables. One thing about the fast moving tech world. In 5 years whatever I'm doing today will be obsolete and probably replaced. Of course in 5 years it may not matter to me.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #1305

NC - yeah, no kidding.

I may experiment with both solutions - Roku and Apple TV - and hand off the loser to my sister - regift, maybe :-)

Interestingly, many folks dislike the Apple remote so significantly they buy the Roku instead! Another case of Apple pushing for a tech solution that may not fit the majority's view of the best solution.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #1306
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife hates the Apple remote. I found it took some time to get used to but it works fine for me now.

There is an iOS App for iPhones and iPads that implements an Apple TV remote control. I use it occasionally. Some people find it easier to use.

Steve Jobs was obsessive about the consumer interface and incredibly into the details of products introduced by the company. He usually got it right the first time and when they missed he was obsessive about correcting (at least in his later years). I don't think Tim Cook has the vision or attention to product detail of Jobs and it doesn't appear anyone at Apple has replaced Jobs as the product visionary. He had a unique ability to think about the ecosystem, the integration of each product into the ecosystem and the long term path technology would take. Consider how he was able to evolve and grow the ecosystem while most of his competitors were simply purveyors of individual products. Sony's walkman was made obsolete by the iPod because the iPod came with an ecosystem for delivering music. From the iPod sprang the iPhone then Apple TV and the iWatch. I suspect Jobs had a vision for video he was working through when he died. What we have in the Apple TV is a half baked pie and the baker left the bakery while it was in the oven. Cook is a typical corporate CEO who watches competition and pays homage to Wall Street. If someone inside Apple came up with an insanely great transformation idea on the order of the original Mac computer, the iPod, or the iPhone I wonder if he is even capable of recognizing its potential the way Jobs was able to see products transform industries.

Ecosystems are difficult to create and difficult to sustain without true creative vision. The history of American commerce is one of transformational companies developed by entrepreneurial visionaries and then ultimately run into the ground by professional managers. How many MBA professional CEO's have truly created new industries or transformed existing ones? Elon Musk is a college grad but not an MBA.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:13 AM   #1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 57 View Post
Ecosystems are difficult to create and difficult to sustain without true creative vision. The history of American commerce is one of transformational companies developed by entrepreneurial visionaries and then ultimately run into the ground by professional managers.
A reality that is indistinguishable from the history of American commerce being that visionary-driven companies are an unsustainable model. Disney, Apple - even Microsoft. These aren't examples where management failed but rather are examples where vision failed to be enough to justify the existence of a commercial enterprise.

A society that wants to foster and protect vision has to be willing to pay the price for it. Ours is not. Never has been - not long term, at least.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #1308

On order from Amazon
- GE 29884 antenna for the attic
- 100’ solid copper core RG 6

On order from eBay:
- Buy Now compression tool Ideal 30-793
- Buy Now 50 PPC extended, waterproof RG 6 connectors
- Auction via Auction Sniper SiliconDust Homerun Connect 2 channel tuner, HDHR4 2017 model

May have an angle on a leftover AppleTV Gen 4 box from kind son ...if not available will prob just buy a 4K version.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #1309
Recycles dryer sheets

If you buy a 4K Apple TV and decide to add some Homekit home automation devices you'll be set. Homekit requires a 4K Apple TV for remote Siri commands.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #1310

Son just said one has is Kate third gen so gotta buy a 4K.

Did save some money on the 2017 Connect, though ...
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #1311
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably new Apple TV model later this year.

They've been releasing them every 2 years or so and this fall would be 2 years since Apple TV 4K.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #1312

Antenna easy to put together, set it up on a box in the family room about 30” off the floor, pointed via smart phone compass, short coax to the HD Homerun box, Ethernet from that box to the router, power to the box, and installed Channels app and HD Homerun app on iPad and cellphone.

To tune the box went to my.hdhomerun on my laptop which auto senses the box and allows you to update the firmware and run the channel search ... 37 channels. Furthest at about 33 miles. About half are HD.

Since I don’t yet have a streaming box that is capable of downloading apps, I use iPad or iPhone to select the channel, using either Channels or HD Homerun apps (Channels is pretty slick and now free on iOS, $25 for streaming box download) and then screenmirror to the tv via the olde AppleTV box. This last connection introduces loss of resolution and jitteryness... assuming this goes away once I have a newer streaming box as the iPad resolution is quite good and my 24” monitor from the laptop is very good.

Next step is to move the antenna to the attic, repoint, run the coax though the wall down to the TV and out it all together. May turn up a couple of additional channels - I have not used an amplifier so far - probably won’t be necessary given my location.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #1313
Recycles dryer sheets

I used the TV Towers app (iPhone app) to locate directionally television towers from my house in order to aim the attic antenna accurately.

I have discovered more channels can be received at night than during the day. About double the number of channels are visible at night. I originally did the tuning of the HD Homerun at night but became frustrated by not being able to receive a large number of channels during the day. I then ran the startup during the day. Now all of the channels visible on the Channels app can be viewed either day or night.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #1314
Give me a forum ...

Just an update on our set-up. I added the Amazon Fire TV Cast box last week and have been very impressed with it. Set up took about 10 minutes and it's very easy to use. There are only two wires to/from the box...one for the antenna and the other for the power cord. Everything else is done via Wi-Fi. As I mentioned before, our "smart house" configuration is pretty much all Amazon, so if you don't use Amazon (specifically Fire TV) then this won't work for you.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #1315
Dryer sheet wannabe

I recently jumped on the cord cutting train. My internet has always been $45 per month and finally replaced my $200 monthly satellite bill with a Roku dongle on the back of the tv and $26 for a couple streaming services. All my other viewing is via free apps on Roku with advertising (like broadcast tv). Whodathunk? Streaming life is gooooood. And super cheap.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #1316
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondoBob View Post
Streaming life is gooooood. And super cheap.
+1

Yesterday was the end of our Dish TV satellite service. Subscribed to Philo today (43 channels for $16/mo) and that plus OTA broadcast TV will do the job for DW and me until college football season starts. I'll figure out some other streaming service at that point so I can get ESPN until after the bowl games are done.

Love the fact streaming offers both a great price and the freedom to switch services whenever I want.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #1317
Recycles dryer sheets

Was paying $145/mo for "starter" internet and "value plus" cable (second tier up from basic), when cable company rolled out latest annual price increases (about $30/mo) last August. In prior years I had been able to complain away the price hikes, but cable company decided to hold firm so I gathered up all the set top boxes and returned them and went to basic cable with starter internet for $90/mo. I already had Netflix and Amazon Prime. Didn't miss the extra cable channels at all. Don't watch much TV in the summer anyway.

When college football season started I bought 4 Amazon Firesticks for less than $100 and added Hulu Live TV for $40/mo mainly to get Big10 network, ESPN's, Fox Sports, etc. Recently got notice from Hulu that they are raising price to $45/mo. I was planning to suspend Hulu after March Madness anyway, but I just got a notice from the cable company stating that they would be scrambling all basic cable channels and I would need a set top box for each TV at $5/mo. For me that is an extra $20. Makes the decision to fully cut the cord easy for me. I will be eliminating all cable TV and just keep the internet service and stream all my TV, saving another $40/mo, which will more than make up for Hulu increase.

Funny thing is I probably never would have made any change with the cable company if their customer service wasn't so infuriating. I just hope they can retain enough cable customers to keep the cost of my internet service reasonable.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #1318

Providing better customer service to the American consumer for what they consider a service commodity isn't financially worth it.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 AM   #1319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Yesterday was the end of our Dish TV satellite service. Subscribed to Philo today (43 channels for $16/mo) and that plus OTA broadcast TV will do the job for DW and me until college football season starts. I'll figure out some other streaming service at that point so I can get ESPN until after the bowl games are done.

Sling Orange pretty cheap and was decent when I had it. Includes espn 1 & 2. For $5 more(I think) you get an extra layer of sports channels. Let us know how Philo goes. I've seen some negative comments on cordcutter forums about it's reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post

Funny thing is I probably never would have made any change with the cable company if their customer service wasn't so infuriating. I just hope they can retain enough cable customers to keep the cost of my internet service reasonable.

I've had good luck with Comcast's chat service. I can always get someone quick on it. It lead to finishing up changes via email which I liked as I had something on paper so to speak.....not just verbal.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #1320
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Let us know how Philo goes. I've seen some negative comments on cordcutter forums about it's reliability.
Will do.