Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #1321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The question, then, is what service you should switch to if you've decided to ditch DirecTV Now.

The good news is that you've got options. Lots of them, actually, and at price points that match — if not beat — what DirecTV Now could offer.
https://www.imore.com/canceling-dire...t-alternatives

RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #1322
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...Subscribed to Philo today (43 channels for $16/mo) and that plus OTA broadcast TV will do the job for DW and me until college football season starts...
Interesting... I hadn't looked at Philo before. Probably because I need the locals (no OTA here). However, we're now getting the locals free via locast (including PBS!... but no DVR). So I've started questioning why we're paying $45/mo for PS Vue (with no PBS). 80% of what we (=DW) use it for is the local broadcast networks.

Philo's channel lineup is not bad for $16. I watch some stuff on Science, Discovery, and History. DW watches HGTV, Hallmark, A&E, and some others. But it's missing some "cable basics" like Nat Geo, CNN, CNBC, ESPN, and Fox Sports that we get with PS Vue. We're not huge sports people. And I don't normally watch CNN and CNBC. But they're nice to have around when needed.

So basically, for the additional $29/mo, we get CNN, CNBC, some sports, and DVR functionality for the locals (minus PBS). Sounds like a marginal value proposition. DW may have a different opinion. She uses the PS Vue cloud DVR to watch her network programs every day. So I'm probably stuck with this. And who knows how long locast stays afloat.

It's really nice to have so many alternatives nowadays. I just wish I could get OTA. I'm 45-50 miles from the local broadcast towers, with a large hill next door that is directly in the path. All the websites say, "forget it." But I've never actually tried. Hmmm...

Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #1323
Give me a forum ...

Am not too deep into this, but I think this is pretty new... all news 24/7 to add to Roku and Fire.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/news...e-tv-apple-tv/
Old 02-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #1324
Administrator

All news 24/7 is my worst nightmare.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
When we cut the cord, some of our friends/family said, "But, you will not get Fox News, CNN, CNBC or MSNBC". I answered, "Exactly".
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #1326

Quote:
It's my second-worst.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #1327
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I just wish I could get OTA. I'm 45-50 miles from the local broadcast towers, with a large hill next door that is directly in the path. All the websites say, "forget it." But I've never actually tried. Hmmm...
Unfortunately all the websites are probably accurate. A few years ago we parked the RV less than 5-6 miles from a TV "antenna farm" and were blocked from getting any signal by a very large hill. At 45-50 miles you need to have clear line-of-sight to have any chance of getting decent reception.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #1328
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cobra, one thing you can try is to google radio locator and punch in your location. Get a list of some FM stations that broadcast where the TV signals are coming from. See how you receive them from your location. Why do this? Because it's easy to try and FM stations are pretty much like your TV signals. If you can get decent reception of them , you are most likely able to get the TV signals as well.

It's a lot easier than putting up an outdoor antenna . Just something to try.
But yes, when hills get in the way, it's usually game over for TV signals, especially 50 miles away.

Edit to add: If you are out in the boondocks with no one around you can put a TV antenna on the hill and run a wire down to your TV set.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #1329

We just cancelled Dish and switched to youtube TV (streaming) for $40/month. Pretty good channel lineup, particularly for sports and free virtual DVR. We're connected by computers (laptop upstairs and server downstairs), so the web interface could use work; I suspect those using Roku or Xbox with remotes might like it.

We have an Xbox upstairs, so I'll fiddle around with it sometime this month to see if DW likes its interface easier (we have an Xbox remote although use it rarely for Plex or MLB).
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #1330
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

The only news I watch is when I open my browser up to Bing, it shows "news" along the bottom. If anything "important" happens it is there.

Cutting out "news" is a hidden benefit of cord cutting. I refuse to watch local news too. Car crash, shooting, infant death, then a few minutes of weather (which is always terrible) and then sports. Frees up another 30-60 minutes every day for better hobbies.
bloom2708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #1331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
+1

Cutting out "news" is a hidden benefit of cord cutting. I refuse to watch local news too. Car crash, shooting, infant death, then a few minutes of weather (which is always terrible) and then sports. Frees up another 30-60 minutes every day for better hobbies.
Around here the local station will have 30 minutes of news before the network evening news and will repeat the local news afterward. At my condo one of the stations there will do the same only follow with 1hr of local news. I often wondered...... who devotes 2 hours to news viewing?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #1332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

The only news I watch is when I open my browser up to Bing, it shows "news" along the bottom. If anything "important" happens it is there.

We had gradually walked away from all sources of TV news programming by the time we dropped cable and then broadcast TV, so it was great not even seeing the option on the screen.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #1333
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Around here the local station will have 30 minutes of news before the network evening news and will repeat the local news afterward. At my condo one of the stations there will do the same only follow with 1hr of local news. I often wondered...... who devotes 2 hours to news viewing?
Local news is very profitable for the stations. They can sell 100% local advertising.

I believe there is now 7 hours of local news on one of the stations. 4,5,6 am and 4,5,6 pm and 10 pm.

The content is pretty similar, but they do mix up some of the stores and headline or preview some stories and then feature the stories later.

bloom2708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #1334
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if anyone actually tried the app...

I find the Local Now news station, perfect for what I'm interested in. You can choose what you're interested in for the area you live in... on call.

Some, but not all of the choices are for :
local weather now
national weather
24 hour forecast.
7 day forecast
national weather
local traffic conditions
business
sports
national news,
local news
entertainment

as well as special shows for food, health etc.

You choose what you're interested in, without having to wait for it. The App locates your area... ie., mine comes from Chicago.

So, if you only care about the local weather, or sports, it's one click away. No waiting.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #1335

Quote:
Local news is very profitable for the stations. They can sell 100% local advertising.

I believe there is now 7 hours of local news on one of the stations. 4,5,6 am and 4,5,6 pm and 10 pm.

The content is pretty similar, but they do mix up some of the stores and headline or preview some stories and then feature the stories later.

One of the local stations here re-broadcast the most recent newscast on a continuous loop on one of the OTA "side channels". being forced to watch that channel 24/7 would be my living hell.

I have noticed that Amazon has added channels from "Pluto TV" as an added benefit for Prime Members which has 13 channels listed in the "News" category.

https://pluto.tv/tv/

Edit: Apparently you can watch this just over the internet, as well...for free. I think it's available on many other streaming devices.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #1336

The death spiral continues
https://www.techhive.com/article/334...d-or-else.html

"After years of insisting that cord-cutting was neither significant nor worrisome, cable and satellite providers are facing the inevitable: The traditional TV business is now in free fall. In the last quarter alone, major TV providers lost a combined 1.1 million subscribers.

One might think that these companies would respond with lower prices and more flexible TV options. Instead, the opposite is happening: They’re squeezing their remaining subscribers by cutting off promo deals and hiking prices. As a result, cord-cutting is starting to feel less like a choice and more like a necessity."
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #1337

Hi All,

Like several of you have mentioned, the very act of dealing with the rotten customer service (ours is Cox and it is as bad as Verizon), was enough to keep us on edge - when Cox increased our cost (without recourse) by 5-6% a month three months into a 12 month plan, we terminated cable TV, but kept their ISP service. The part that really got to me was their inability to explain the “why” of the increase … at one point, they simply said, “it’s complicated.” Bye Bye, Cox Cable access to TV! This is NOT about the COST - it is about the VALUE of the programming, and about how painful it is to deal with the untruthful and clueless Cox.

Many of you were very helpful with your experiences as I investigated the various OTA options - things have changed since my last OTA system about 10 years ago! Thank you.

So, ran the tvfool.com report for my location, bought a small antenna ($40 delivered), some RG-6 coax, fittings, and a SiliconDust HD Homerun Connect box ($28 plus shipping) and connected it all up in my living room. 37 channels solid as predicted by tvfool. Ran the coax through the wall behind the TV, and moved the antenna to the attic (brackets, bolts, etc came with the antenna - pointed it with my iPhone) …41 channels - all with nearly 100% signal strength.

So, the flow (this was hard to understand initially):

1. Antenna receives broadcast from local TV towers (40 of my 41 are UHF - most OTA broadcasts are UHF)
2. Coax takes signal to the HD Homerun Connect box
3. HD Homerun Connect box tunes two channels independently (other products do more channels - we only need one) (SiliconDust also provides an inexpensive cloud based DVR service, but we don’t use it)
4. HD Homerun Connect box connects to router via ethernet making both channels available anywhere on the network
5. AppleTV box (Gen 4 or 4K) provides access point, using either the provided HD Homerun app, or the $25 licensed Channels app (prior to AppleTV Gen 4, the box would not load apps - the later versions do)
for the HD Homerun box OTA data (either via ethernet or wirelessly) NOTE - I am ScreenMirroring from my iPad or iPhone right now - will be buying AppleTV Gen 4K box later this week)

It feels odd, but you can sit on the back porch, or in the garage, or in the bedroom and watch broadcast TV on your pad, or phone by selecting the app … no wires - same signal quality as a TV. I won’t do this much, but it is interesting combination of OTA to home network.

Our viewing pattern is: pick up the Harmony 650 remote, press “Watch Apple TV” (you can name it something else if you wish). The remote turns on the TV to the correct HDMI connection, turns on the AV receiver to the right selection, and turns on the AppleTV box. Apple TV screen shows the usual icons for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, PBS - AND, it shows the icon for HDHomerun, Channels, etc. Select the various streaming services you have a subscription for (us: Prime, Netflix, Hulu ($0.99 a month), PBS) - AND, now the 41 channels via the tuner box. Pretty COOL!

BTW - the Harmony remote is cheap, you can use it single button to turn on the AV Receiver and play from your music list, tune FM, CDs, etc …. Single remote!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #1338
Give me a forum ...

I read in the WSJ a while back that ATT is going to compensate for losing satellite customers by raising prices on the remaining customers.

You can't make this stuff up.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #1339
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I read in the WSJ a while back that ATT is going to compensate for losing satellite customers by raising prices on the remaining customers.

You can't make this stuff up.
It may make some sense in the short-term. There are those who are not particularly price sensitive and/or not techie enough to figure out or want to mess with streaming. ATT must realize this and assuming they do there must be an alternative long-term plan. If not, they're certainly toast.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #1340
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Dish went up another $5. I'll cut back to the welcome package after the NCAA tourney, then come fall I'm going to take a serious look at streaming packages.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote