Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it looks like Spectrum caught on to the fact that people were dumping them for other live streaming services. I got a letter today with an offer for their new streaming-only package with 60 channels for $14.99 a month. It also includes on demand programming but cloud DVR service is an extra $4.99 a month. The channel lineup is very similar to what I’m getting on Philo and no local channels.

Not really inclined to replace Philo at the moment.

What is the price after 1 year? I bet your Philo is approximately the same a year from now.

Given that streaming only prices are creeping upward I'm not sure whether we will ever cut the cord.

We have no OTA in our location and currently have Dish to get our locals... their skinniest programming package is $30/month and our equipment cost for a centralized DVR serving 3 TVs is ~$32/month.. add in taxes and fees and we are at $65/month.

A similar streaming package for 3 tv's with a DVR would be $55/month... it isn't worth changing for $10/month of savings given that DW is used to and likes Dish.

That is nearly exactly my situation. Plus dish has regional sports add on for flex that I can not get streaming. What we do is use the Dish flex package until NFL season, then upgrade to the lowest package that will bet the 'Red Zone'. Then we go back to the flex package.

You could download PlayOn. The download is free. It supports Direct TV Now as well as Spectrum, Xfinity and others. If you pay the subscription fee you can use this to schedule and record your shows. Right now a lifetime subscription to PlayOn is on sale for $49.99. There are about 24 "channels" available through Playon including Amazon Prime and Netflix. You would also need something like Roku and add the PlayOn app. Any TV with a Roku could then stream your PlayOn recordings. You can also watch it on your PC, tablet or phone. Just another idea to consider.

PlayOn sounds a lot like FitzyTV.... any idea of how they are different? It seems that both can use my Xfinity credentials and include a cloud DVR at a cost.

PlayOn sounds a lot like FitzyTV.... any idea of how they are different? It seems that both can use my Xfinity credentials and include a cloud DVR at a cost.

I have no idea as I have absolutely no knowledge of what FitzyTV is. Also, with PlayOn it's not necessarily a cloud DVR. In my case, the shows are recorded to my computer. They also have a cloud DVR, but I don't use that since there is an ongoing expense for that.

My rather long story...

We have no OTA available where we are. So we need some type of access to the local networks. I like having them for NFL games, major events, and things like weather emergencies (we live in tornado alley). I don't watch any regular network programming except the Saturday daytime line-up on the local PBS affiliate as well as PBS NewsHour. DW watches a few primetime dramas on the major networks but mainly watches programming on Netflix and Prime. We could probably do without the networks but it's definitely a nice-to-have.

Our ISP is Frontier FiOS and we had been using their "broadcast tier" TV service. The double-play discount meant that TV+internet was actually cheaper than internet alone, and required no STBs. I used WMC and a PC for DVR and EPG functionality (that's a lot of acronyms). But when that contract expired, they wanted to raise the price to $25/mo and insisted that I need to rent at least one STB for the service to continue working. With tax and fees, it was going to be around $40-45/mo (just for the local network affiliates and a few other junky OTA channels).

So I switched to PS Vue, which IIRC was $40/mo at the time (now $50) and includes a nice line-up of 25-30 cable channels, including some we both like. In my case, Science and Nat Geo. DW likes Hallmark, HGTV, and a few others. But unfortunately, no PBS. So I've had to improvise with YouTube and Locast to get NewsHour and the Saturday line-up. Cloud DVR and extensive on-demand are very nice, as is the tight integration with the Fire TV platform. From a technology standpoint, this set-up is far superior to clunky old cable STBs, and especially when compared to my old WMC setup.

I don't like that the price has increased... twice since we first subscribed. But on the bright side, they added Curiosity Stream, which I have subscribed to in the past as a $5/mo add-on for Prime. It has top-notch documentaries on science, technology, history, and nature.

I continue to look at the alternative streaming services. But so far none seem to meet our specific requirements as well as PS Vue. I might take a closer look at YouTube TV once it's available on the Fire TV platform later this summer. I'll be a happy camper when PBS starts showing up on these services.

Obviously, "cutting the cord" makes the most sense when you have OTA available, a DVR like Tivo or Recast, and Netflix/Prime... or as some have pointed out, if you have no need/desire for the major networks at all. But if you want the networks (and maybe a few cable channels), then the OTT streaming services are a good solution. There's still a small price advantage due to no hardware rental costs or ridiculous junk fees. But more importantly, the technology is superior and improving all the time. In the current environment, I would never go back to traditional cable or satellite TV service.

Those of you waiting for PBS, don't think it's going to happen. PBS has greatly restricted the shows you can stream on their app and implemented Passport, a pay feature.

Those of you waiting for PBS, don't think it's going to happen. PBS has greatly restricted the shows you can stream on their app and implemented Passport, a pay feature.

I think you have highlighted a good point. Another example is the wildly popular show "The Office" that is being pulled off Netflix and going to the NBC app exclusively or how many CBS shows are available *only* on the CBS app or Disney launching their own service and pulling content off other streaming providers.

I think things will get much worse before too long and although people would like to save money, I think they will get tired of having 13 different subscriptions/apps and the lack of convenience when trying to find something to watch.

If you have PlayOn it has a PBS channel. There are tons of PBS shows available for streaming including the big ones like Downton Abbey, Poldark, etc. No sign-up or Passport needed.

For folks situated in densely populated cities OTA HD TV is not what it used to be, its better. A simple set of rabbit ears should provide about 20 channels.

On top of that an AMAZN Firesitck or Roku box (both under 50.00) provide a host of other free streaming options- Tubi app -iirc- is one of the many free movie apps out there.
TVs changing w/new providers via OTA HD public TV & streaming options.

Not sure that's true. PBS is actively negotiating to be included in live streaming services like Sling, PS Vue, YouTube TV, etc. Here's a recent story: PBS is In Talks With Hulu, PlayStation Vue, Sling TV, YouTube TV, & More

The reasons it's taking so long are discussed here: Why live PBS streaming is taking so long (and how to deal with it)

We have the PBS app and we are Passport members. It works well but still excludes lots of shows that air on the local PBS affiliate. Previously PBS said they hope to be on the major live streaming services by the end of 2019.

I don't think they are positioning the PBS app (with or without Passport) to be similar to CBS All Access. I could be wrong. But either way, it's clear that they want PBS local live feeds included in the new streaming services.

Some things (I think are true) about PlayON, which I use.

Yes, it is $49 lifetime, well sort of. If they upgrade the software it is another $49, the old software will work, and you don't have to upgrade. I don't know how long before an older version is no longer supported.

Netflix, and others, not sure who, have it in their user agreement that you will not record their stream.

Not sure that's true. PBS is actively negotiating to be included in live streaming services like Sling, PS Vue, YouTube TV, etc. Here's a recent story: PBS is In Talks With Hulu, PlayStation Vue, Sling TV, YouTube TV, & More

The reasons it's taking so long are discussed here: Why live PBS streaming is taking so long (and how to deal with it)

We have the PBS app and we are Passport members. It works well but still excludes lots of shows that air on the local PBS affiliate. Previously PBS said they hope to be on the major live streaming services by the end of 2019.

I don't think they are positioning the PBS app (with or without Passport) to be similar to CBS All Access. I could be wrong. But either way, it's clear that they want PBS local live feeds included in the new streaming services.

Well that would be nice and I guess it depends how much of an upcharge is involved. Sounds as if the dealings and agreement will be complicated and they might not be on every streaming service.

Last edited:
If you have PlayOn it has a PBS channel. There are tons of PBS shows available for streaming including the big ones like Downton Abbey, Poldark, etc. No sign-up or Passport needed.

Amazon Prime has a lot of PBS products streaming as well.

Some things (I think are true) about PlayON, which I use.

Yes, it is $49 lifetime, well sort of. If they upgrade the software it is another $49, the old software will work, and you don't have to upgrade. I don't know how long before an older version is no longer supported.

Netflix, and others, not sure who, have it in their user agreement that you will not record their stream.

Well, I've been through some upgrades and no additional money. My brother has been using PlaYOn for years and never paid anything beyond the initial subscription, so I am not sure where you are getting your information. This has not been our experience at all. Do you use PlayOn?

I have been on for several years, and I think I got that from a Bulletin Board dealing with PlayOn related stuff. I remember reading PlayOn's reply and they justified there policy. Here is the quote from the Consumerist.com.

http://consumerist.com/2010/07/15/playon-lifetime-license/

The readers comments are incorrect. From the first day PlayOn was offered, we indicated that the license purchased would be good for the content/functionality that was available when they bought it, but that a major upgrade would come out in the future that would require additional fees if they want to access the new goodies. If the customer was under the impression they were entitled to receive access to every new product/offering we developed and released for the life of the company, they came to that conclusion on their own without any statement or promise to that effect coming from us. I would recommend asking the customer to provide some indication of where/when we “originally promised” what they are claiming. It is patently false.

This customer bought a license to a product which they still have full access to, and which we still provide support for. We have since released a new product which they have the option of upgrading to, or not.

I am accepting apologies:)

Last edited:
But if you want sports, you still want cable.

Yes, that's where they got us. For example, when I lived in So Cal, Time Warner Cable gained exclusive rights to show the Laker games {NBA}, so unless you had Time Warner cable, you couldn't watch those games. Unless of course, another company bought the rights to show Laker games from Time Warner and you were a subscriber of said company.

I am not promoting the Lakers here, just using this as an example. There are a lot of Laker fans in So Cal. Time Warner paid billions for those rights, but I think they made a good investment.

We can eliminate Hulu as an option. We did the 7 day free trail and cancelled it after day 3. On Netflix we can always find something interesting, even though it may take some searching. On Hulu we literally found nothing that fit our desires. There is far more on YouTube than Hulu.

Does no one use the the apps provided by broadcast stations?

My kid who just graduated is living in a basement apartment...not even a window.

They just load the local stations' apps onto their FireTV stick for local coverage (news/weather/sports)

And, of course, uses my Amazon & Netflix accounts.

Does no one use the the apps provided by broadcast stations?

My kid who just graduated is living in a basement apartment...not even a window.

They just load the local stations' apps onto their FireTV stick for local coverage (news/weather/sports)

And, of course, uses my Amazon & Netflix accounts.

Sure, but that is like locking into one Pandora station. After awhile....

We can eliminate Hulu as an option. We did the 7 day free trail and cancelled it after day 3. On Netflix we can always find something interesting, even though it may take some searching. On Hulu we literally found nothing that fit our desires. There is far more on YouTube than Hulu.

"Literally nothing"? I have found that there is quite a bit more available on Hulu than I thought. And it appears that they have more available than Netflix (in raw numbers only).

https://cordcutting.com/compare/hulu-vs-netflix/

By sorting to “All” and viewing alphabetically, we can see that Hulu offers us 24 results per page and a total of 371 pages. That would be 8,904 titles, assuming that every page is full and every title is unique. Meanwhile Something to Stream, a third-party site that tracks Hulu content, lists some 5,924 movies and 3,726 television shows. That would be a total of 9,650. Even with imprecise figures, it seems safe to say that Hulu has more individual titles available than Netflix....Netflix seems to have roughly 6,500 to 7,000 titles available right now, according to Netflix content organizers like AllFlicks (their count: 6,610) and Instant Watcher (6,516).

I am not saying that Hulu isn't a good fit for you...but it could very well be a better fit for others. We tend to watch more on Hulu than on Netflix.

"Literally nothing"? I have found that there is quite a bit more available on Hulu than I thought. And it appears that they have more available than Netflix (in raw numbers only).

I am not saying that Hulu isn't a good fit for you...but it could very well be a better fit for others. We tend to watch more on Hulu than on Netflix.

I agree the problem with Hulu isn't not enough but too much..we dumped Netflix for Hulu with live TV and DVR and never looked back...

I mean if you want to watch year old TV programs, clips of the news and B movies, sure there's ton. I am just not going to pay for that level of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom