Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost. As I said previously, it would be a really great device if you could use it for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, but those apps aren't available for it.

ROKU gives one over 5,000 Services to choose from, so it is hard to compete with that. The lack of a DVR function with ROKU is unfortunate but easily (and cheaply) overcome with a choice of many other devices. ROKU concentrates on one thing and does it well.

Sling TV this week announced a new Total TV deal for subscribers, which offers seven of their add-on channel packages and DVR for $20 per month. This adds over 80 channels to their regular packages, making it possible to get over 90 channels for just $45 per month - Telecompaper

We dropped cable after paying almost 200.00 a month we now have sling, 45.00, Amazon Prime 11.00, Netflix - 0, Hulu - 0, have way more channels to watch than I need. Loving it, don't pay for Hulu or Netflix I share with my daughter and she pays.

Sling TV this week announced a new Total TV deal for subscribers, which offers seven of their add-on channel packages and DVR for $20 per month. This adds over 80 channels to their regular packages, making it possible to get over 90 channels for just $45 per month - Telecompaper

Thanks for this, although we like Hulu, we most likely will give this a try at the end of our streaming month.

I am not seeing this deal anywhere on the Sling website...

We dropped cable after paying almost 200.00 a month we now have sling, 45.00, Amazon Prime 11.00, Netflix - 0, Hulu - 0, have way more channels to watch than I need. Loving it, don't pay for Hulu or Netflix I share with my daughter and she pays.

Same here except we stream with Hulu + Prime...Hulu includes DVR hours in it basic price.

I am not seeing this deal anywhere on the Sling website...

Yikes! I was simply the messenger... that'll teach me. (I am not a subscriber to Sling.) Anyway, it took some work but I finally found the info -- it is well hidden. There are (at least) two deals that I found:

https://help.sling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/46000000320-how-does-the-total-tv-deal-work-

https://help.sling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/33000219219-how-does-the-4-for-10-deal-work-

Yikes! I was simply the messenger... that'll teach me. (I am not a subscriber to Sling.) Anyway, it took some work but I finally found the info -- it is well hidden. There are (at least) two deals that I found:

https://help.sling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/46000000320-how-does-the-total-tv-deal-work-

https://help.sling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/33000219219-how-does-the-4-for-10-deal-work-

Thanks for that, I planned on doing some looking myself before Hulu renews at the end of the month.:flowers:

Last edited:
And change to the change to the change...

WarnerMedia announced its new streaming service will be called HBO Max and will include exclusive rights to Friends, which is costing AT&T $85 million per year for U.S. rights.

HBO Max will include shows and movies from Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and other content providers. It also includes exclusive rights to stream all 236 episodes of the TV show “Friends.”

The service is expected to launch in beta later this year. AT&T has not said how much it will cost. HBO Max will launch publicly in the spring of 2020 and will include 10,000 hours of content, the company said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/09/net...as-old-media-companies-flex-their-muscle.html

Last edited:
Interesting news!!

DW agreed to an experiment of going to streaming. We'll be using Fitzy TV with a DVR and our Xfinity credentials from our winter condo (HOA fee includes Xfinity basic cable) for most programming and CBS All-Access for our local news and CBS content.

We won't save a bunch if this works as our Dish TV bill is only $65/month and CBS All-Access is $10/month and Fitzy TV DVR is $10/month. But CBS All Access has some good content that isn't available on CBS (like Star Trek Discovery and others).

We binge watched two episodes of the Good Fight that haven yet aired OTA and the first two episodes of Star Trek Discovery tonight.

We'll try it for a month and then decide whether or not to jettison Dish TV.

Last edited:
Good luck. I wasn’t able to make the Comcast options work.

Good luck. I wasn’t able to make the Comcast options work.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that you couldn't get FitzyTV to accept your Comcast Xfinity credentials? It worked fine for me.

We often DVR the CBS This Morning and just start from the beginning and FF through commercials and eventually catch-up to live. I set the Fitzy cloud DVR to record it and started it and tried to fast forward through commerials and it doesn't work at all. Have others of you who use the Fitzy TV cloud DVR had similar experience?

I just speedtested my internet connection and I have 117.4 mbps down and 11.4 mbps up so I don't think internet speed is the problem.

The Fitzy cloud DVR functionality might be a deal killer.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that you couldn't get FitzyTV to accept your Comcast Xfinity credentials? It worked fine for me.

We often DVR the CBS This Morning and just start from the beginning and FF through commercials and eventually catch-up to live. I set the Fitzy cloud DVR to record it and started it and tried to fast forward through commerials and it doesn't work at all. Have others of you who use the Fitzy TV cloud DVR had similar experience?

I just speedtested my internet connection and I have 117.4 mbps down and 11.4 mbps up so I don't think internet speed is the problem.

The Fitzy cloud DVR functionality might be a deal killer.
Sorry, a misread. Fitzy using Comcast login works for us. Fitzy is buggy, so there are regular logout/login iterations and on a couple of occasions we’ve just given up.

I tried to use the Comcast app with Fl login on our Roku here in Chicagoland and couldn’t, thought that’s what you were referring to.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good indoor antenna? I’m in the Chicago suburbs so power to overcome some obstacles and range would be required. I’m hoping prime days presents some buying opportunities.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good indoor antenna? I’m in the Chicago suburbs so power to overcome some obstacles and range would be required. I’m hoping prime days presents some buying opportunities.

No recommendation for an antenna, but I can give you a few tips. Put the indoor antenna near a window if possible. You will stand a much better chance of getting a signal. Also do not underestimate that height helps. Even a difference of two or three feet can help a lot to receive a signal. Good luck!

Antenna Man likes the Mohu Supreme Pro, see

Thanks I currently have a $5 antenna from Goodwill that is located at the highest southern window. (It is connected to an AirTV ) The reception varies depending on the channel and time of day. I'm hoping that possibly a better antenna may help. I may also have to relocate the AirTV router to a closer position to the home internet wifi router.

Anyway, if anyone has good success with an antenna I'd love to hear it.

Anyone who wants to try Sling and is an Amazon prime member, a deal is live now with Firesticks and Fire TV's greatly discounted. You will also get an Amazon link with a 15 dollar a month credit towards your first 3 months of Sling TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom