Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoReady,

Many folks try the indoor flat antennas ... some with success, but they are VERY dependent on location and orientation.

I bought a small $40 antenna and put in the attic - simple solution with great success on every channel in my area per TV Fool.

Consider Redbox for a buck and a half a movie to rip and watch at your convenience. Often with specials and discounts, less than a buck and a half to watch near newly released movies. Added to OTA with DVR via amazon recast and HULU is for me a winning combination.

My area has 3 VHF channels and all others are UHF. VHF requires longer dipoles, while UHF are good with the "loop". Why they didn't make all the channels in one band is beyond me. Two antennas that are drastically different is a really bad design.

I don't think the word "design" works in this context. This is a reflection of the natural progression of things over time, in light of technical limitations, economic and political realities.

I'd try the Amazon basics antennas.

I've had good luck with this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZQXB26/

and I'm on the outskirts of the Columbus suburbs.

They also have an amplified version, but when I've tried those in the past, they haven't help pull in fringe stations for me. YMMV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IN26Z5A/

definitely mount them as up high as you can. This matters.

I bought this one, picked up all channels around me in Tampa Area. Don't know if it's "the best", but did everything I needed and price was right, $19. It says "renewed", but looked just like new. Saved a few more bucks this way.

Mohu Television Antenna Leaf 30 Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna for Free TV MH-110502 (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EWEHEL8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_yvQamaAHmiNEA

My area has 3 VHF channels and all others are UHF. VHF requires longer dipoles, while UHF are good with the "loop". Why they didn't make all the channels in one band is beyond me. Two antennas that are drastically different is a really bad design.

Well, originally there were only VHF channels 1-13 (there was once a channel 1), but when TV began expanding rapidly after WW2, they needed more channels but there were none available that were contiguous on the spectrum. So channels 14-83 were carved out of an available, much higher frequency on the spectrum. Later on they took out channels 70-83 for other uses, and then 52-69. And very few stations broadcast on 2-6 any more, so almost all stations are on channels 7-51.

UHF takes a LOT more power than VHF (like 50-100 times more power), so that is why many stations in the 7-13 range stay on their VHF frequency even though VHF reception is a royal pain for many indoor antennas.

Last edited:
I used this one at our clubhouse in Sarasota... it is amplified and when I bought it it was on sale for $25. We ran the cable up through the ceiling and mounted the antenna as high as possible on the roof joists. We get around 50 channels, including the 5 majors (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS).

https://www.bjs.com/product/antenna...ified-indoor-hdtv-antenna/3000000000000806096

I have an older Mohu Leaf that works great. I tried out a newer different brand one and it didn't work nearly as well. I'm picking up stations over 60 miles away, and rarely have trouble, even in bad weather. Running it through my Dish receiver (so I can record) it shows 95-100% signal strength (maybe not % but on a scale to 100, with anything under 60 not good enough to display). A closer station I watch a lot must have a weaker signal or poorer line of sight and it will flicker in and out in weather but works most of the time, usually around 65-70%.

Anyway, I'd definitely go with a Leaf again.

Well, I didn't exactly cut the cord, but I saved over $30 per month today. I'll be getting rid of my cable box on one tv and my DVR box on the other. All programing will be streamed through the Spectrum app. Also changed to a package where I get all local channels plus 10 channels that I selected. Also, in three months, they said to call them and they would take the internet down to an introductory rate ($20 less). That may only last a year, but I'll be sure to call. Anyway, starting down the path.

Next purchase is an antenna for the attic. Since I'll no longer be using the wire to our main TV, I'll tie the OTA antenna into that and see how well the local channels (OTA) come in. That will also serve as a way to get local news if the internet is out.

Well, I didn't exactly cut the cord, but I saved over $30 per month today. I'll be getting rid of my cable box on one tv and my DVR box on the other. All programing will be streamed through the Spectrum app. Also changed to a package where I get all local channels plus 10 channels that I selected. Also, in three months, they said to call them and they would take the internet down to an introductory rate ($20 less). That may only last a year, but I'll be sure to call. Anyway, starting down the path.

Next purchase is an antenna for the attic. Since I'll no longer be using the wire to our main TV, I'll tie the OTA antenna into that and see how well the local channels (OTA) come in. That will also serve as a way to get local news if the internet is out.

IIRC It's called 'cord shaving' what you did. And what I've done for the last two years. In the meantime I upgraded the modem and router and most importantly, the wiring and connectivity, and am almost all set to make a pitch to DW to switch to sling. This is our third year in retirement, I think saving almost $500 a year will be appealing to her. My brother is coming to visit, and they have switched to sling, so I can get a testimonial from him.

Pluto TV also added Latino channels and British TV this month. Totally free TV, over 100 live channels and 1000's of Movies/TV on demand. Really dumb guy talks you through the setup it's excruciating but if you can get through that then it's well worth it. I'm using a ROKU to stream with no problem, my son uses an Amazon Fire stick and he said it messed with his Alexa so he took it off again.

Pluto TV

Well shaving it is. I think I’ll save a few hundred bucks a year with virtually no difference in my viewing. Plus, the attic antenna will be a good fall project. In this heat, I’ll not be up in the attic any time soon.

Since retiring I don't watch a lot of broadcast/cable TV - less than an hour a day on average. I mostly watch PBS and the occasional movie on TCM. I was paying $133/mo for DirecTV, but that ended Tuesday. I was getting a $10 discount for combined billing, so I'll save $123/mo.

I can watch most PBS shows via streaming, and some old movies on Amazon Prime. If I buy DVDs for all the movies I ever watched on TCM, I'm still way ahead. I'm may try Sling for TCM, or I may do without it.

I'm still paying about $40/mo for a "land" line, and I'm considering ditching that, too. Last month the internet was out for 2 days and the phone went with it (ATT U-verse). I had to buy my first cell phone to contact tech support. Now that I have a cell phone, the "land" line is redundant.

Pluto TV also added Latino channels and British TV this month. Totally free TV, over 100 live channels and 1000's of Movies/TV on demand. Really dumb guy talks you through the setup it's excruciating but if you can get through that then it's well worth it. I'm using a ROKU to stream with no problem, my son uses an Amazon Fire stick and he said it messed with his Alexa so he took it off again.

Pluto TV

I really like Pluto. The have added Classic Doctor Who and Cult Films Classics and have enjoyed these lately.

I also noticed that IMDB has a free app (with short commericals) that has a good deal of content.

I really like Pluto.

I've also been impressed with the volume and variety of content available on Pluto.

We know a single mom with two daughters that cannot afford cable TV. I gave her an old Roku and between OTA stations and Pluto they don't feel like they are missing much in the way of TV entertainment.

I've also been impressed with the volume and variety of content available on Pluto.

We know a single mom with two daughters that cannot afford cable TV. I gave her an old Roku and between OTA stations and Pluto they don't feel like they are missing much in the way of TV entertainment.

Sure beats the days of 6 channels and messing with the aluminum foil attached to the rabbit ears!

I have this conversation with customer service every year or two when I call to renegotiate, or cancel my service because the "promo rate" expired. I would not mind a small inflationary based increase annually, something like 4%, but the 25%+ price hikes are crazy.

Due to this recurring challenge over the years, we acquired Amazon Prime, Firesticks and HD antennas. So now I skinny down the package (internet speed, channel package), or we'll sign up with another annual promo plan from a competing company.

Overall, we are paying about the same (or in some years less) than I was for the original Cable Company promo rate.

I guess the bean counters know more than I do, but I would think it's still less expensive to keep a good, existing and reliable paying customer than to acquire a new one.

Interesting news!!

DW agreed to an experiment of going to streaming. We'll be using Fitzy TV with a DVR and our Xfinity credentials from our winter condo (HOA fee includes Xfinity basic cable) for most programming and CBS All-Access for our local news and CBS content.

We won't save a bunch if this works as our Dish TV bill is only $65/month and CBS All-Access is $10/month and Fitzy TV DVR is $10/month. But CBS All Access has some good content that isn't available on CBS (like Star Trek Discovery and others).

We binge watched two episodes of the Good Fight that haven yet aired OTA and the first two episodes of Star Trek Discovery tonight.

We'll try it for a month and then decide whether or not to jettison Dish TV.

Update.... pretty much a total fail. :(

Even though I set it up so DW didn't need to change sources, just switch between Fire TV apps, she struggled with the new setup and getting to the channels that she wanted to watch... but she may have got it with more time.

I was unimpressed by our trial of the Fitzy TV cloud DVR.... it is better than no DVR at all but is primitive compared to the Dish TV DVR that we are used to. Also, while I like Fitzy TV, it wouldn't show HGTV even though we have HGTV in our Xfinity credentials and it occasionally would say that CBS wasn't part of our subscription which obviously is. Good, but just not quite yet ready for prime time. I probably will use it for a seldomly used guest room tv and get rid of a SuperJoey and save $10/month.

OTOH, we really like CBS All-Access. Since with Dish we don't need CBS All-Access for our local CBS affiliate we will probably keep it for a while for its original shows that aren't available elsewhere. That costs $10/month so no net savings.

If Xfinity ever provides a streaming app that will work on FireTV then we may give it another try.

Luckily, out tv bill is only $65/month so it isn't about affordability at all but more just trying to squeeze out the best bang for the buck.

Update.... pretty much a total fail. :(

Even though I set it up so DW didn't need to change sources, just switch between Fire TV apps, she struggled with the new setup and getting to the channels that she wanted to watch... but she may have got it with more time.

I was unimpressed by our trial of the Fitzy TV cloud DVR.... it is better than no DVR at all but is primitive compared to the Dish TV DVR that we are used to. Also, while I like Fitzy TV, it wouldn't show HGTV even though we have HGTV in our Xfinity credentials and it occasionally would say that CBS wasn't part of our subscription which obviously is. Good, but just not quite yet ready for prime time. I probably will use it for a seldomly used guest room tv and get rid of a SuperJoey and save $10/month.

OTOH, we really like CBS All-Access. Since with Dish we don't need CBS All-Access for our local CBS affiliate we will probably keep it for a while for its original shows that aren't available elsewhere. That costs $10/month so no net savings.

If Xfinity ever provides a streaming app that will work on FireTV then we may give it another try.

Luckily, out tv bill is only $65/month so it isn't about affordability at all but more just trying to squeeze out the best bang for the buck.
Yeah, something to be said with value of keeping it simple, or rather straight forward for the wife. My wife won't move off the TiVo, but honestly I find it best UI and functionality too. Worth paying a couple extra a month.

The Orville is moving to Hulu: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-orville-is-now-a-hulu-exclusive-show-starting-with-season-3/

Big bummer! Now I will have to sign up for it (at the end of next year) too.

I predict a lot of the 'premium' shows like this one, the new Star Treks etc. will be moving to pay-wall streaming services. So the answer then is to wait until all of the eps have dropped, sub for a month and watch them, then cancel/rinse/repeat for the next set of shows you want.

I guess the bean counters know more than I do, but I would think it's still less expensive to keep a good, existing and reliable paying customer than to acquire a new one.
Of course, but the definition of a "good" customer is one that pays so much more than supporting that customer costs such that the money spent supporting that customer earns more than any other way the company could invest that money.

My only choice for high speed internet is Spectrum. I also have them for land line. Two years ago, I decided to get the lowest TV service available-one box. It brought my bill from $78 to $106. A year later, I called to cancel and they sold me on a streaming only product that brought my bill to $125. Had many channels including HBO and Showtime and ESPN.

Yesterday, I received a notice that it was going to about $165. I called and they said that I had been receiving a promotional discount that expired. There is nothing in any bill nor in any discussion I have had with them that discusses a promotional discount that expires in a year. So I asked:"What will my bill go to in a year?" Answer was another $40 or so.

Please note that in the last few years they find a way, every few months to sneak in a few extra bucks. The fee for local stations started at $8.95 and went to $11.95 after a few months. A fee for local stations:confused: Are you kidding me? They also required a $2 fee for a cable card that does not fit in any equipment I have.

They also shifted the cost for internet and land line. It started as $30 and $30. Now internet is $50 and land line is $20.

There is a reason I had dumped cable TV for a number of years. While the overall dollars are insignificant to my overall budget, their tactics just.....

Thank you for listening to my rant. BTW, I have OTA antennae, a Tablo OTA DVR, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video...and a good woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom