Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #1641
Recycles dryer sheets

So this morning I turn on Hulu to watch the final round of the Masters and wouldn't you know it, no feed available from CBS. Fortunately Augusta National live streams full coverage of the tournament so I hook up laptop to the TV and stream masters.com.

However I also contact Hulu chat and let them know I'm not happy that I can't use the service I paid for to watch this event. They are very sorry for the inconvenience but don't know when the problem will be resolved. I ask for a refund for the service I paid for and can't use and they issue credit for half a month service. That's fine, but if I wasn't able to live stream the tournament directly from Masters.com I would not have been happy. I really like the Hulu channel lineup but they really need to get their act together. So, moral of the story is streaming is a great alternative to cable, but it is not without problems of its own.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #1642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One unknown in selecting the media setup one wants is the comfort level an individual has with a particular delivery service. For instance, DW DVR's 'Days of our Lives' and them binge watches it at a later date. Our main TV has a Hopper, so that was fine for zooming past the commercials. But DW started watching in the bedroom, and we only had a roku there. So she could get the old shows on the NBC roku channel, but they had commercials that could not be bypassed. That wasn't the dealbreaker. The breaking point is the commercials were all the same, only a variety of two or three max. For binge watching it was too much to bear, and we added a joey in that room.

"We can cannot compel others to do our will" Norman Goldman
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #1643
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We are all individuals and weigh the value of various aspects of these services differently. For example, I happen to think that absolutely, 100% free OTA is far more rational than either cable or streaming. Right now I can't even imagine getting enough value from the arrangements suggested, to go for any of them. But that's value to ME... a sports fan probably gets a lot of value out of having his games available to watch at home, even though I couldn't care less.
That makes sense, but I’d amend to say “having his or her games available”, which is likely what you meant. Equal opportunity enjoyment!
Absolutely! Some of the most fervent, die-hard Saints fans around here are women, for example. I meant "his" in a gender nonspecific way, sort of like how people use the word "men" when they mean humans.

In my case, I don't really like watching sports except maybe women's gymnastics, any sort of ice skating, and a few other sports. For me, live TV coverage of these sports at my home is not worth paying anything at all. The same goes for most of what is offered on TV. I'd rather surf the internet, listen to podcasts, or browse youtube for my entertainment, than to watch television.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:32 AM   #1644

Quote:
"Paying five different streaming services a total of 50 or 60 dollars to get some of we want instead of a little more to get a lot of what we want - well, I think a lot of people would prefer the package deal," said Atlas Media founder Bruce David Klein, a veteran television producer and cable expert. "It's getting harder to piece all this together in a way that doesn't cost a fortune." ... A study by Ovum analyst Tony Gunnarsson cited at the recent NAB trade show noted that the majority of consumers will subscribe to only 2.25 streaming services, leaving many players out in the cold.
https://www.nola.com/tv/2019/04/how-...expensive.html

So not only is the early adopter advantage evaporating, what will be left afterwards will be a landscape where smaller, niche interest services will evaporate away as well.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #1645
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
https://www.nola.com/tv/2019/04/how-...expensive.html

So not only is the early adopter advantage evaporating, what will be left afterwards will be a landscape where smaller, niche interest services will evaporate away as well.
As if on demand ala carte streaming is the only approach. An article with an agenda to be sure, he never even mentions an obvious drop in alternative to cable/satellite. Excel spreadsheet, what nonsense.

YouTubeTV, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu Live or Sling/OTA with comparable channel lineups and features are much cheaper than cable/satellite for a multiple TV simultaneous stream household, and about the same cost for a single TV house. I’ve acknowledged situations where cord cutting is less, and others where it may not be - unlike you.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ve acknowledged situations where cord cutting is less, and others where it may not be - unlike you.
I've acknowledge the fact that there is an advantage now and won't be one later - unlike you.

But like you said,
Old 04-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #1647
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've acknowledge the fact that there is an advantage now and won't be one later - unlike you.
That remains to be seen. I have acknowledged several times prices will converge, but I contend the equilibrium will be less than where cable/satellite would have gone without competition from cord cutting (and explained why). Cable/satellite products have already cut prices, earlier you insisted they wouldn’t give at all...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #1648
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I see Spectrum in some areas changed "unlimited" to 1 T, if you go over you get surcharged.
Are you sure it was Spectrum? The FCC forbids Charter/Spectrum from having data caps until 2023 (7 years from 2016).

Quote:
The FCC and Justice Department mandated that the new Charter agree to seven years worth of conditions.

Those conditions prevent Charter from imposing data caps or usage-based pricing. The data caps rule is huge for consumers, as Comcast now appears to be moving in that direction.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/1...le-provider-us

...the FCC’s seven-year ban on Charter Spectrum data caps and consumption billing.

Source: https://stopthecap.com/2019/01/15/co...er-conditions/
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #1649

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Are you sure it was Spectrum? The FCC forbids Charter/Spectrum from having data caps until 2023 (7 years from 2016).
I stand corrected I looked up the email of the friend with the data problem and it was Comcast.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
So this morning I turn on Hulu to watch the final round of the Masters and wouldn't you know it, no feed available from CBS. Fortunately Augusta National live streams full coverage of the tournament so I hook up laptop to the TV and stream masters.com.

However I also contact Hulu chat and let them know I'm not happy that I can't use the service I paid for to watch this event. They are very sorry for the inconvenience but don't know when the problem will be resolved. I ask for a refund for the service I paid for and can't use and they issue credit for half a month service. That's fine, but if I wasn't able to live stream the tournament directly from Masters.com I would not have been happy. I really like the Hulu channel lineup but they really need to get their act together. So, moral of the story is streaming is a great alternative to cable, but it is not without problems of its own.
do you mean it didn't work or that it was blacked out?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #1651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
.. currently on seasonal hold so I don't know what it currently is.
I used "seasonal hold" with my Comcast cable account while we were in Florida for two months this winter. I was very pleased and wish I had set it up for the full six months they allow.

My package costs $88/mo (for 3 TV's complete with all taxes and fees). During the "seasonal hold" period, the price was $18/mo (again complete) and we still received all OTA channels plus a small number of cable-only channels. We returned from Florida a couple of weeks before the "seasonal hold" period ended and found the much reduced package served us fairly well although the full package (and $88 price tag) has now turned back on.

A bonus I'm not sure that Comcast intended is that I discovered their streaming service went on uninterrupted during the "seasonal hold!" An app on my phone allows me to watch anything (streaming) I am subscribed to on my cable package at home. I thought this feature would disappear but, nope, while traveling I still had access to the cable channels my normal package provided.

I'm mulling over keeping Comcast but using the maximum "seasonal hold" period (six months) every year from mid-Jan though mid-July when we're either gone or not watching much TV. Averaging the full package cost of $88 and the "seasonal hold" package cost of $18 would be $53/mo. That's more like it.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #1652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
I wonder what that was about? I watched the Masters in it's entirety on PS Vue yesterday.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:27 AM   #1653

Philo will only offer their $20 plan to new customers starting May 6. Those who subscribe before then can choose either the $16 or $20 plan and will be able to switch between the two as long as their subscription remains active.
Quote:
Starting May 6, we will move to only offering our $20 package — the 58 channel package — to new subscribers. For those who are already subscribed and anyone who subscribes before that date, nothing will change — you’ll continue to have the same package and same price options you have today.

Again, nothing is changing for anyone who has already subscribed by May 6 — you’ll keep the package you have and will continue to be able to switch between our two existing packages.

Source: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/phil...ge-on-may-6th/
Old 04-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #1654
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
...and will be able to switch between the two as long as their subscription remains active...
That may be true, but I did not read that in what the CEO said. The way I read it, you will be able to stay on your $16 plan, and switch to the $20 plan, but it does not say you will be able to switch back to the $16 plan from the $20 plan.

Also, I wonder if when channels are added in the future, if the $16 plan will get them too.

BTW, my $16 plan is $17.16/month with tax, and I am glad I got in before this change happens. I am happy with Philo.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #1655

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
That may be true, but I did not read that in what the CEO said. The way I read it, you will be able to stay on your $16 plan, and switch to the $20 plan, but it does not say you will be able to switch back to the $16 plan from the $20 plan.
The CCN article links to the CEO's original Reddit post where he further clarifies "will continue to be able to switch between our two existing packages".

Q. What if I sign up for the $20.00 one by then would I be able to revert to the $16.00 if I don't like the added channels in the $20.00 one?

A. That’s correct. Everyone (including people on the $20 package) will be able to switch freely if they subscribe by May 6. We wanted to make sure all our existing subscribers kept the same options.

Q. I was planning to go back to the $16 plan once the $99.00 6 month prepaid deal ends. Is that still possible? I bought 2 of them so I'm paid up until December.

A. As long as your subscription doesn’t lapse, you should be good.

Q. I canceled temporarily but I wanted to know if I activate my account again after the May 6th date, will I still have the option to switch between the two?

A. Your subscription needs to be active on the 6th.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #1656
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
A bonus I'm not sure that Comcast intended is that I discovered their streaming service went on uninterrupted during the "seasonal hold!" An app on my phone allows me to watch anything (streaming) I am subscribed to on my cable package at home. I thought this feature would disappear but, nope, while traveling I still had access to the cable channels my normal package provided.
My guess is Comcast is aware but the volume is low so it is probably a low priority issue. Someday it will just go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm mulling over keeping Comcast but using the maximum "seasonal hold" period (six months) every year from mid-Jan though mid-July when we're either gone or not watching much TV. Averaging the full package cost of $88 and the "seasonal hold" package cost of $18 would be $53/mo. That's more like it.
There is no reason you should not do this - if you can. How do you get internet when the TV service is on seasonal hold? When we had Comcast they wouldn't let us have full internet with seasonal TV, they insisted on both or neither.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
I think my Cable provider is getting the message. I was paying $195 per month for Cable TV, internet and landline. Dropped Cable TV which lowered my bill to $78 for internet (60Mbps) and landline. Got myself a great antenna and an over-the-air DVR. Life is good, except I, seasonally, bought Sling TV to get more sports. Already had Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Last week, I found out that the cable provider had developed a Roku app. So now I have one cable provided set top box. Everywhere else, I am streaming live tv over my Rokus. Previously, I had to pay $7 per month for a set top box at each location. So now, I am getting 100 Mbps for internet, land line and the lowest tier of cable tv (125 channels). The 125 channels includes a bunch of sports channels.

Please, note that I have no connection to a cable company. I am just happy that I have gone from $195 to $105 per month. Your take?
When we cut cable (now have YouTube TV and love it) and phone (bought an Ooma system and pay $5 per month in communication taxes), Spectrum pursued us relentlessly to add cable back. I told them I wouldn't get cable TV from them even if it was free so they might as well quit calling!!! We still get internet from them but there is no other option for reliable service.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:17 AM   #1658
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's comic is very relevant to this thread.

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2019/04/26
Old 04-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #1659
Give me a forum ...

^^ Not true for all of us (e.g. Comcast internet+Dish Sat TV), but a consideration for many.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #1660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
When we cut cable (now have YouTube TV and love it) and phone (bought an Ooma system and pay $5 per month in communication taxes), Spectrum pursued us relentlessly to add cable back. I told them I wouldn't get cable TV from them even if it was free so they might as well quit calling!!! We still get internet from them but there is no other option for reliable service.
Do you still get calls from Spectrum or did they give up on you?