Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I’m following this. We have 17 dedicated sports networks and all the majors (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) and cloud DVR for $50/mo with PS Vue. We can watch almost any sports event live or on DVR...

The sports market is fragmented as much as any other broadcast content. In my case, a tiny fraction of NHL and MLB games are on the major networks, or on ESPN for that matter. Each team has its own network, plus each league has its own network.

The sports market is fragmented as much as any other broadcast content. In my case, a tiny fraction of NHL and MLB games are on the major networks, or on ESPN for that matter. Each team has its own network, plus each league has its own network.
OK. Among the 17 channels we get on PS Vue, we have the NFL Network, NBA TV, MLB Network, 5 ESPNs, NBCSN, CBSSN, FS1/2, Big 10, SEC, Golf, and the Olympic Channel. We don't have NHL. FWIW

If you only have 1 TV, you won’t save as much and this is a legit consideration.

If your household has 3 or more TV’s (even 2) and want to watch more than one program at a time, it’s no contest - cable/satellite costs at least twice as much as cord cutting with comparable channel lineup and features.
I don't understand this.

We have a 2nd DVR on a 2nd TV with Spectrum & don't pay any more than the standard $150 monthly charge for one DVR. We have maximum channels, ex-premiums, plus phone & internet. DW & I watch separate programs often & record multiple programs on each DVR at same time, up to 6. Her primary TV is the secondary DVR & she has to record shows using a Spectrum app on her iPad versus with the remote. Our recorded programs list is mixed & we have to be careful not to delete the other's recording (There's hell to pay. :(). We have AP also, but not Netflix.

I've been switching between Dish and DirecTV for over 20 years and my current rate is $61/mo for DirecTV's XTRA package. I've never paid the retail price so I'm a little skeptical of the cost savings many cord cutters claim to be making.

So they swap your satellite dishes too?

I don't understand this.

We have a 2nd DVR on a 2nd TV with Spectrum & don't pay any more than the standard $150 monthly charge for one DVR. We have maximum channels, ex-premiums, plus phone & internet. DW & I watch separate programs often & record multiple programs on each DVR at same time, up to 6. Her primary TV is the secondary DVR & she has to record shows using a Spectrum app on her iPad versus with the remote. Our recorded programs list is mixed & we have to be careful not to delete the other's recording (There's hell to pay. :(). We have AP also, but not Netflix.
Are you still in the first year with Spectrum? If so, it will go up when 2nd year starts.

Thinking of breaking away with HULU Live + Streaming at $39. Will have to upgrade my HughesNet data[emoji30] though as I currently limp through on the 10 meg package. Even then with the $90 for 30 Mb +Hulu,I come out slightly ahead vs DTV at $90/mth. Just not sure if the HN speeds will still run into a lot of buffering.

make sure it includes all the extra equipment charges, fees and taxes and after the teaser rate.
After you make sure that you include the cost of Internet service. And the value of convenience. And compatibility with existing hardware, such as TiVo. (Wait for it... another equivocation is coming, I'm sure.)

The point I made was that people are quick to insult those who see cable as a good value. I don't think anyone should take that as an invitation to insult people some more. I myself make mention frequently of there being an early adopter advantage for cord-cutting but by saying that I am not telling everyone to rush out and jump into that pool. Insinuating that that's the only rational path forward is nonsensical.

After you make sure that you include the cost of Internet service. And the value of convenience. And compatibility with existing hardware, such as TiVo. (Wait for it... another equivocation is coming, I'm sure.)

The point I made was that people are quick to insult those who see cable as a good value. I don't think anyone should take that as an invitation to insult people some more. I myself make mention frequently of there being an early adopter advantage for cord-cutting but by saying that I am not telling everyone to rush out and jump into that pool. Insinuating that that's the only rational path forward is nonsensical.

We are all individuals and weigh the value of various aspects of these services differently. For example, I happen to think that absolutely, 100% free OTA is far more rational than either cable or streaming. Right now I can't even imagine getting enough value from the arrangements suggested, to go for any of them. But that's value to ME... a sports fan probably gets a lot of value out of having his games available to watch at home, even though I couldn't care less.

....The point I made was that people are quick to insult those who see cable as a good value. ...

Where were these alleged insults of those who see cable as a good value? I don't recall seeing any such posts in this thread. Please elaborate... post numbers would be nice too.

We are all individuals and weigh the value of various aspects of these services differently. For example, I happen to think that absolutely, 100% free OTA is far more rational than either cable or streaming. Right now I can't even imagine getting enough value from the arrangements suggested, to go for any of them. But that's value to ME... a sports fan probably gets a lot of value out of having his games available to watch at home, even though I couldn't care less.

That makes sense, but I’d amend to say “having his or her games available”, which is likely what you meant. Equal opportunity enjoyment!

We're 80 plus pages into a pretty valuable thread. Can we just post what we use for streaming or cable and the pros and cons, including price?

It's hard enough to follow without the people arguing. We are exclusively a streaming household and I follow here closely to see what's new and what might work for my house.

Is anybody who streams multiple TV's running into problems with data usage? I see Spectrum in some areas changed "unlimited" to 1 T, if you go over you get surcharged.

Last edited:
Was paying $145/mo for starter internet (15MB download) and "value plus" digital cable bundle, when latest round of price increases came out last fall, which would have raised the monthly bill to about $170/mo. Packed up all the boxes and took them back to the cable company and went on limited cable service which at the time required no boxes. Lowered my bill to $90/mo. Added Hulu+ Live TV for $42/mo. Bought 4 Amazon FireTV Sticks for my 4 TV's for about $100 total. $38/mo savings recovered cost of FireTV Sticks in 3 mos. Hulu raised their price to $47/mo in April. Around that time cable company decides that everyone needs a digital adapter to watch even basic cable TV, which they provide for $5/mo each. That would be an extra $20 per month for me along with the inconvenience of a box on each TV, which I found to be a great nuisance. So I dumped cable TV altogether and stream everything on Hulu. $58/mo for internet and $47/mo for Hulu, $105/mo total vs. $190 for cable. Saving $85/mo and the only thing lost that I care about at all is one out of the four major network affiliate local feeds that Hulu doesn't provide.

I really hope most people keep buying cable so they can make enough money that they don't care about all the GB's I am using to stream video.

So this morning I turn on Hulu to watch the final round of the Masters and wouldn't you know it, no feed available from CBS. Fortunately Augusta National live streams full coverage of the tournament so I hook up laptop to the TV and stream masters.com.

However I also contact Hulu chat and let them know I'm not happy that I can't use the service I paid for to watch this event. They are very sorry for the inconvenience but don't know when the problem will be resolved. I ask for a refund for the service I paid for and can't use and they issue credit for half a month service. That's fine, but if I wasn't able to live stream the tournament directly from Masters.com I would not have been happy. I really like the Hulu channel lineup but they really need to get their act together. So, moral of the story is streaming is a great alternative to cable, but it is not without problems of its own.

One unknown in selecting the media setup one wants is the comfort level an individual has with a particular delivery service. For instance, DW DVR's 'Days of our Lives' and them binge watches it at a later date. Our main TV has a Hopper, so that was fine for zooming past the commercials. But DW started watching in the bedroom, and we only had a roku there. So she could get the old shows on the NBC roku channel, but they had commercials that could not be bypassed. That wasn't the dealbreaker. The breaking point is the commercials were all the same, only a variety of two or three max. For binge watching it was too much to bear, and we added a joey in that room.

That makes sense, but I’d amend to say “having his or her games available”, which is likely what you meant. Equal opportunity enjoyment!
Absolutely! Some of the most fervent, die-hard Saints fans around here are women, for example. I meant "his" in a gender nonspecific way, sort of like how people use the word "men" when they mean humans.

In my case, I don't really like watching sports except maybe women's gymnastics, any sort of ice skating, and a few other sports. For me, live TV coverage of these sports at my home is not worth paying anything at all. The same goes for most of what is offered on TV. I'd rather surf the internet, listen to podcasts, or browse youtube for my entertainment, than to watch television.

"Paying five different streaming services a total of 50 or 60 dollars to get some of we want instead of a little more to get a lot of what we want - well, I think a lot of people would prefer the package deal," said Atlas Media founder Bruce David Klein, a veteran television producer and cable expert. "It's getting harder to piece all this together in a way that doesn't cost a fortune." ... A study by Ovum analyst Tony Gunnarsson cited at the recent NAB trade show noted that the majority of consumers will subscribe to only 2.25 streaming services, leaving many players out in the cold.
https://www.nola.com/tv/2019/04/how-cord-cutting-got-too-complicated-and-too-expensive.html

So not only is the early adopter advantage evaporating, what will be left afterwards will be a landscape where smaller, niche interest services will evaporate away as well.

https://www.nola.com/tv/2019/04/how-cord-cutting-got-too-complicated-and-too-expensive.html

So not only is the early adopter advantage evaporating, what will be left afterwards will be a landscape where smaller, niche interest services will evaporate away as well.
As if on demand ala carte streaming is the only approach. An article with an agenda to be sure, he never even mentions an obvious drop in alternative to cable/satellite. Excel spreadsheet, what nonsense.

YouTubeTV, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu Live or Sling/OTA with comparable channel lineups and features are much cheaper than cable/satellite for a multiple TV simultaneous stream household, and about the same cost for a single TV house. I’ve acknowledged situations where cord cutting is less, and others where it may not be - unlike you.

:horse:

Last edited:
I’ve acknowledged situations where cord cutting is less, and others where it may not be - unlike you.
I've acknowledge the fact that there is an advantage now and won't be one later - unlike you.

But like you said, :horse:

I've acknowledge the fact that there is an advantage now and won't be one later - unlike you.
That remains to be seen. I have acknowledged several times prices will converge, but I contend the equilibrium will be less than where cable/satellite would have gone without competition from cord cutting (and explained why). Cable/satellite products have already cut prices, earlier you insisted they wouldn’t give at all...

Last edited:
I see Spectrum in some areas changed "unlimited" to 1 T, if you go over you get surcharged.
Are you sure it was Spectrum? The FCC forbids Charter/Spectrum from having data caps until 2023 (7 years from 2016).

The FCC and Justice Department mandated that the new Charter agree to seven years worth of conditions.

Those conditions prevent Charter from imposing data caps or usage-based pricing. The data caps rule is huge for consumers, as Comcast now appears to be moving in that direction.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/...ger-complete-second-largest-cable-provider-us

...the FCC’s seven-year ban on Charter Spectrum data caps and consumption billing.

Source: https://stopthecap.com/2019/01/15/c...nsumer-time-warner-charter-merger-conditions/

Last edited:
Are you sure it was Spectrum? The FCC forbids Charter/Spectrum from having data caps until 2023 (7 years from 2016).

I stand corrected I looked up the email of the friend with the data problem and it was Comcast.

So this morning I turn on Hulu to watch the final round of the Masters and wouldn't you know it, no feed available from CBS. Fortunately Augusta National live streams full coverage of the tournament so I hook up laptop to the TV and stream masters.com.

However I also contact Hulu chat and let them know I'm not happy that I can't use the service I paid for to watch this event. They are very sorry for the inconvenience but don't know when the problem will be resolved. I ask for a refund for the service I paid for and can't use and they issue credit for half a month service. That's fine, but if I wasn't able to live stream the tournament directly from Masters.com I would not have been happy. I really like the Hulu channel lineup but they really need to get their act together. So, moral of the story is streaming is a great alternative to cable, but it is not without problems of its own.

do you mean it didn't work or that it was blacked out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom