Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Eddie,

I just noticed your new avatar. It sort of give me the creeps.

He's looking with disapproval at your post.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
He's looking with disapproval at your post.
I thought he was checking to see if his rug was still in place...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I should add Obgyn is hardly singled out for criticism. Yesterday there was a forum member,who joined a year ago but didn't post much, looking for advice on variable annuities. Not surprisingly the advice was run away don't buy those things. She didn't like that advice and the pile on continued.

Being beaten up by the forum happened to me a several years ago. I had a roommate who I suspected was growing and selling dope near my house. I knew he and his friends smoked a lot of dope, but growing and dealing are a different thing.

I ask the forum for advice on how to figure out what he was doing and how to get him to stop. I was a bit surprised when the forum didn't help me with my question but rather said.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT FOR ALLOWING A DOPE DEALER TO LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE EVICT HIM NOW.

I protested that he was a nice guy and I had no proof. One of the cops I believe pointed that if somebody has no job but is paying you rent in cash, he is dealing doh!
The rest of the forum piled on and I got no support for giving the guy a chance.

I have long said this forum is way better at keeping people from doing dumb things than telling people what to do. I finally realized I was being dumb, gave the guys 30 days notice and we parted amiable. Once he was gone I realize that he was causing me a lot stress. Consensus is hard to achieve on this forum, but when it is achieved. I think you are foolish to ignore it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
While I am not a Trump honk, he definitely doesn't we're a rug. When he was toying with running for president he let a lady reporter in an interview pull on it to prove it was his hair. She agreed it was real.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #106

Yeah, he let Larry King pull on it, too.

"I wouldn't say retirement is for losers, but..."

Donald Trump: 'I Wouldn't Say Retirement Is for Losers' (But You'll Probably Get Fat and Old) - New York - News - Runnin' Scared
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
While I am not a Trump honk, he definitely doesn't we're a rug. When he was toying with running for president he let a lady reporter in an interview pull on it to prove it was his hair. She agreed it was real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Yeah, he let Larry King pull on it, too.
Then he needs to fire his hair stylist. Atrocious.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #108

Quote:

"Have some respect, you retired losers."

Ok, enough about Donald and his hair. Let's get back to OB sticking his big-toe in the market.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is scary. I much prefer the hair styling on this member of the Trump family:

More eye candy here:

ivanka trump - Google Search

-ERD50
Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #110

My time horizon is at least 10 years (I am 48 years old and this is a 401k plan which I cannot touch until 59.5 years old).
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Since you're new to the exciting world of short term fluctuations, it's easy to understand your consternation. But these are meant to be long term investments, so you should be looking at long term results, not just a few months.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #111

To answer your question, in the US my CDs and munis average about 2.8%. In Europe, my investments have generated about 2.5-3% also. Hard to keep track with euros / $ conversion and tax matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
how have your other investments done over the same period?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #112

Per the Vanguard site, distributions for VBIMX are scheduled monthly. And distributions for VWIAX are quarterly. It is my understanding they are reinvested right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
obgyn, I assume these results are with dividends reinvested?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #113

I do not have such a statement because I have always been the same with my investments, that is very conservative. I have lost money each time I deviated from my stance (I bought a condo in spring-summer 2008 which has lost about $50-100K since then, and now these bonds). Never lost money on any other investment, here or in the EU.

Like you I don't have the time or knowledge to make sense of fluctuations, but wanted try these bonds after reading good things about Wellesley and Vanguard here and on Bogleheads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
I am not an expert, but what does your Investment Policy Statement say to do? Investment Policy Statement - Bogleheads

Mine is simple. Maintain about a 50-50 balance of equities and fixed-income investments. If they're out of balance by more than 5%, rebalance. Ignore short term variation, since I don't have the time or knowledge to make sense of it.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #114

Point well taken. I tried Wellesley because of all the many good references I read about it here (i.e. 'psst' from uncle Mick and others).

The VBIMX is described as such on the Vanguard website : "This index fund offers a low-cost, diversified approach to bond investing, providing broad exposure to U.S. investment-grade bonds with maturities from five to ten years. Reflecting this goal, the fund invests about 50% of assets in corporate bonds and 50% in U.S. government bonds within that maturity range. Risks of the fund include the fact that changes in interest rates, both up and down, can affect the fund by resulting in lower bond prices or an eventual decrease in income for the fund. Investors looking to add a diversified bond fund to their portfolio may wish to consider this fund."

I liked its 2 rating (i.e. low risk) on a scale from 1 to 5. Its 3 year performance was 5%. Now it's been going south since I bought in. Good thing I am not a financial advisor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Most of the problem is that bonds did poorly. Had you invested in Wellington instead of Wellesley (larger % allocation to stocks), you'd have done better. In other words, you were too conservative. But I'm not advising you what to do.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #115

This is a good idea. Thank you, bestwifeever. To answer your question, no. I use EJ only for CDs and munis and keep Vanguard and EJ separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You have mentioned that you use an Edward Jones FA to help you choose CDs. Maybe when you have time you could discuss an asset allocation with her and get her impressions of your choices (did you use EJ for your Wellesley and bond fund purchases?)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #116

Do you mean this thread : http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ter-57042.html
I had a look at the first post :
"Today, we are all neutral. Invested in passively-managed index funds such as VCSH, VTI, VEU, VWO, VBR, VSS, VNQ. No cash.
Watch this thread for transaction info."

With all due respect, LOL, I have no idea what this post means. Please remember many of us here are not experts. Where do I get the list of passively managed index funds anyway ? Isn't Wellesly passively managed too since I do not need to tell them where to invest ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I'm laughing because the aforementioned newsletter is [Mod Edit for clarification] a thread originated by forum member LOL! [/mod edit] ON THIS WEBSITE, so since you are posting and reading on this website, it would take only another 10 seconds to read it.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #117

Apologies, kiki, if I was not clear. When I click on the Vanguard page for VBIMX for example and choose "Price and Performance", they show a graph with the growth of a hypothetical $10,000. The graph clearly shows about $10,000 in July 2012 and about $9,800 now.

It is my understanding from their table that the last Dividend was recorded 07/31/2013 and reinvested the same day - 07/31/2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I'm confused by the value of $10,000. Does this mean you purchased $10,000 of each VBIMX and VWIAX? If not, what does it mean?

Also, did you include dividends in these amounts? If so, were they reinvested?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #118

To answer your question, I have tried to invest a bit of my extra cash from CD income into bonds to (hopefully) increase my net worth in my 401k plan when I turn 59 years. And after months of encouragements here, I decided to make the jump a few weeks ago (started a thread on this topic back in March or April). It was the first time in my life I made such a move but did it to see if diversification would work in the long term and also to explore within myself how I can handle the stress of losing money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I hope you take this post in the constructive spirit in which it is offered. That said, did you invest in order to fund your retirement like the rest of us? I hope so.

If you look within yourself, hopefully you will find the additional self-discipline that we all must find in order to begin think like a long term investor. Ten years ago today VWINX was $20.03; five years ago it was $20.50; one year ago today, it was $24.33 and yesterday it was $24.97 despite all the dividends that many of us use for living expenses. BTW dividends are due in about six weeks.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #119

Thank you for your helpful and constructive comments as always, pb4uski. I have sent you a friend request and hope you accept it.

To answer your point below : per Vanguard, the VBIMX "offers a low-cost, diversified approach to bond investing, providing broad exposure to U.S. investment-grade bonds with maturities from five to ten years." I thought 10 years was appropriate in my case, since I am 48.

Quote:
If I was investing only for income, I would not be keen on bond funds right now due to the interest rate risk, but I would favor individual bonds or target date bond funds. Over the past 6 months, I have moved a significant part of my bond portfolio to target date bond funds that mature in 2019 and 2020 as a substitute for CDs.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #120

Yes, I plan to do just this but it's hard to see money evaporate in an investment considered "safe". Never experienced this before. Fortunately I never think of money when I see patients, since I am always 100% focused on their care first. The truth is that seeing people helps me thinking about topics other than money, which is a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

However if this is money that you can leave in those investments to grow for multiple years, then just sit tight and expect long term positive growth above what cash will give you.
Closed Thread