Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'm planning on giving 2 weeks, so no.
Why can't things go easy during the final months. Remember the co-worker who will be transferring? Well, it looks like my supervisor wants me to do the hiring and training of his replacement. Expletive deleted!!! Expletive deleted!!! Expletive deleted!!!

So, it looks like I'll be revising his job description and developing a training plan and hopefully that will cause HR to delay the process a couple of weeks (Thank God for administrative paperwork and procedures). Give advertising the position a week and maybe I can put off interviewing until the end of November.

At that point, I'll have put my notice in. I can't in good conscience be a participant in hiring someone into this mess. I refuse to be responsible for having somebody maybe quit a job and then have to figure out a new one without any training. So, they'll get their month notice instead of two weeks.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm planning on giving 2 weeks, so no. First off, they waste the time. One person gave a month and they didn't advertise the position until she left.

Second, I have a supervisor who thinks anyone can do your job if they have detailed procedures. I haven't figured out how to write procedures for solving problems you haven't seen.

Third, he'll want to have weekly then daily meetings on progress. I'll then get written up for not completing other work. The guy is a Catch-22.

So, I think the lesser of two evils is to wait.
The things you name are exactly what will happen. I can attest to that. So, the smart thing to do is give them as less time as legally possible. Your place of employment sounds so much like where I retired from that it's scary. I feel your pain but just hang in there. The time will go before you know it.
Co2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the timeline gets moved up to where you have to start interviewing you could always discover that the first round of applicants is completely unqualified.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If the timeline gets moved up to where you have to start interviewing you could always discover that the first round of applicants is completely unqualified.
I wish. Unfortunately, hiring is done by a committee. I won't have the only say. I just have to do all the leg work to get it authorized, ads posted, and interviews scheduled. I never thought I'd ever root for bureaucratic paperwork slowdowns, but this is one case where I'll be a willing participant.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wish. Unfortunately, hiring is done by a committee. I won't have the only say. I just have to do all the leg work to get it authorized, ads posted, and interviews scheduled. I never thought I'd ever root for bureaucratic paperwork slowdowns, but this is one case where I'll be a willing participant.
Well, you could intentionally screw up the ads and ensure poorly qualified applicants.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, you could intentionally screw up the ads and ensure poorly qualified applicants.
Well, I received one document as a pdf. Darn, I have to re-enter it onto a new document form. That will take me at least a day or two to do so. Then I'll have to send it to my co-worker to see if anything needs to be changed and what's missing. He'll take a few days to do it. Since there will definitely be changes, HR gets a shot at it to re-evaluate the position to see if it belongs in a different class. If I'm lucky that will take several days. All told, I'm hoping for the middle of November before an ad goes out. Give it a week to run before the first resumes come in and we're to Thanksgiving.

At least, that's how I hope it works out. I'll still be telling them earlier than planned and hopefully they'll do some running around like chickens with their heads cut off, so they won't think to pile on documenting stuff that will be worthless.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #27

I'm normally one who tries to short-cut the bureaucracy, but in this case, I rooting for it. It's been 3 weeks and my coworker's position has yet to be advertised. The earliest it can happen is this weekend, but Thanksgiving weekend is more likely. If HR is thorough, it might go to next month. It looks like I'll make it to December, but I'll likely tell them earlier than planned.