Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Updated 30-yr Market Forecast (by asset class)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Updated 30-yr Market Forecast (by asset class)

I think he does this annually and I enjoy looking it over, the chart at least, as just one more opinion for my own planning. I plan on lower real returns (the best number to plan with IMO) if for no other reason than an unkind sequence of returns while I'm in drawdown, but acknowledging that Rick Ferri has forgotten way more than I'll ever know. For other data geeks out there, FWIW

The Portfolio Solutions 30-Year Market Forecast for 2012: Low cost investment manager, Portfolio Solutions

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting that.
It made me feel like my planning is on decent footing.
Betwen a .5% higher inlation assumption and a .5% lower return assumption Im feeling reasonably good about my spreadsheet.

I did find this contained a bit of home town bias.
Why does the world forecast simply flex off the US?
Thats not how the world works these days.
Nevertheless, every reasonalbly well thought out forecast is worth looking at.

Any way to lock this in? :>)
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I for one would be happy with those equity returns, even if they are below long-term averages. It would certainly be sufficient for me to meet my FIRE goals assuming their expectations on return and inflation, and assuming a 60/40 portfolio.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks from me also. Interesting read. My plan calls for 6% return over time and that looks good from these projections. Just re-read your post, didn't realize it was Mr Ferri from the link. Shoot - now I gotta pay attention to that forcast. ;-}
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I really like Rick Ferri's perspectives, although I think any predictions (even his) are guesses and time will tell.

If these predictions turn out to be correct, I'd be absolutely thrilled. I'm not counting on this possibility, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

In the midst of all the dire speculation about the future, it was re-assuring to see this prediction. If the next 30 years really does pan out this way, I'll be in fine shape.

Of course it's just a prediction, but it made me feel good

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know how useful this is really. Thirty years?! Your mom probably told you that you were pretty and smart too.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I don't know how useful this is really. Thirty years?! Your mom probably told you that you were pretty and smart too.
I suspect they are using a combination of historical returns with a little expected mean reversion over a very long period of time, but I could be wrong.

Of course, in 30 years I'll either be 76 or I'll be worm food, so by then my AA would likely be a bit more conservative if I am still here...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You have something better? What would you suggest? Never mind...it was offered only for consideration.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry Midpack, I don't have anything that will predict that far in advance. In fact, I'm pretty sure I won't even be around to check the figures by then. Now... if you can tell me what will happen next week, we can do some business.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think the Laddered Risk Premiums table towards the end is the best part of that article. Not because the outcome will be just like that, but because the relative returns are layed out nicely.

A good way to look at things.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Your mom probably told you that you were pretty and smart too.
Now that REALLY is pie in the sky!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. Thanks for the link. The table is very interesting.

The way he builds up total returns for T-bills, 10-year T-notes and corporate bonds does not look right to me, though.

How can you build inflation into T-bill and bond pricing? There is no connection. Take that out of the first three columns and the table looks much more reasonable to me.

And it seems to me that if we are starting from a very low interest rate as we are today and for the immediate future, in order to get those kinds of returns, interest rates will have to get a lot higher to give those averages. Any such instruments bought any time soon will drag total return down for the next 10 years no matter what happens. If interest rates go up soon, bond prices will go down--zero sum until they expire, as they will gradually.

Like you, Midpack, I am doing my planning on lower returns. I would be delighted to see those equity returns.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the link. The table is very interesting.

snip...

How can you build inflation into T-bill and bond pricing? There is no connection. Take that out of the first three columns and the table looks much more reasonable to me.
I think what he is saying is that when looking at T-Bills/bonds, buyers would look at projected inflation over the bill duration and add an expected return above that to get a desired return and then they can say they are too expensive or they are a good buy. I've read some analysts that looked back at inflation adjusted returns on treasuries, and arrived at normal returns above inflation for different durations. Or, look at I-Bonds, they would normally sell with a return above the inflation protection.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #15
Administrator

Midpack, thanks for posting that. It is impossible to forecast that far ahead but just reading and seeing the differences among different asset classes is food for thought. I do suspect recent weakness in asset prices has led us to believe the future will be bleak when it does not have to be.

I like GMO forecasts, which go out 7 years
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I do suspect recent weakness in asset prices has led us to believe the future will be bleak when it does to have to be.
rs
"when it does to have to be" ?? Did you leave out a word or two?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for alerting us to an interesting article. It is food for thought and gives a decent perspective on the future. I certainly am not planning on the famous 4% withdrawal rate for the long term (just for a few years until SS kicks in.) This reinforeces that decision and will keep me on the course.

I find it interesting that REIT's have about the same expected real return as large cap stocks. I have been thinking of expanding my REIT percentage, but now I am not sure it is such a good idea. I suppose the major benefit of REIT's would be to smooth some of the ups and downs of the equity markets

Old 01-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
"when it does to have to be" ?? Did you leave out a word or two?
When it does not have to be. Posting during coffee...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I understand. Occasionally have the same problem myself.... Fingers go into action before my brain goes into gear.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I do suspect recent weakness in asset prices has led us to believe the future will be bleak when it does not have to be.
The silver lining here could be that for those who are acting conservatively with their portfolios based on recent market malaise, the future may turn out quite well.

I like to hope for the best while planning for the worst.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote