Updated Franklin

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Pretty slick changes in store next year. I seldom carry cash, much less $100 bills so I don't figure to be changed much by this upcomoming event.

The government just posted pictures of the new $100 bill. Here's what it looks like.

newbill.jpg

billback.jpg

The $100 is a favorite of counterfeiters, for obvious reasons, and the government's rolling out new bills to try and make life harder for them. It seems like the old antibiotics-versus-bacteria thing, where the pathogens/counterfeiters are always catching up to the drugs/government.

Here's a brief description from the feds of some of the (literal) bells and (metaphorical) whistles on the new bills:

The blue 3-D Security Ribbon on the front of the new $100 note contains images of bells and 100s that move and change from one to the other as you tilt the note. The Bell in the Inkwell on the front of the note is another new security feature. The bell changes color from copper to green when the note is tilted, an effect that makes it seem to appear and disappear within the copper inkwell.
The new hundreds will enter circulation in February of next year.

New $100 Bill: Bells! Ribbons! - Planet Money Blog : NPR

Thanks. I haven't seen a $100 bill in about 12 years, so this was enlightening.

I carry a $100 all the time. It gives me a good feeling to know I have at least $100 in my pocket. It goes unspent for a long time, but on occasion it has come in handy.

It's reassuring that they haven't left any space blank to add more zeros later. ;)

Back
Top Bottom