Join Early Retirement Today

Upgrading cell phones on Verizon !!##
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Upgrading cell phones on Verizon !!##

Husband and I have basic phones on a 'family plan' with Verizon. I have been wanting an iPhone for a while so we gave them a call about upgrading. The 'upgrade' discount was exactly the same as a new 'upgrade fee'. The cost of service would double our current monthly charge. OH WOW!

Husband just wants voice, and would like to be able to take and send pictures now and then but not at $0.25 cents each or the price of adding messages to our current plan with our current phones.

I would love to be able to use 'face time' on our wi-fi but a new iPad would suffice. There are other features that would be nice too, but for another $70/month? I think not!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did that include the new Verizon shared family data plan?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

Check out Virgin Mobile. They have the iPhone 4s (for full price!) with semi-unlimited plans (voice minutes are limited, messages and data are not) starting at $30/month for the iPhone. I haven't been looking for long, but that's one option that looked appealing. If you keep your phones for a long time it should be cheaper.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Did that include the new Verizon shared family data plan?
Yes, we are presently paying about $70/mo for two basic phones incl taxes & fees.. the new cost would be $40 x 2 plus $50 for the lowest data allowance (plus taxes, fees).
Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are a lot of articles about Verizon changing its family plan to share everything and who would save and who wouldn't. Sorry you're in the latter group.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What really got me was the CSR giving us the song and dance that 'everything is going up'. Our retort was 'not our retirement income'. What a lame excuse.

FWIW we have been a Verizon customer for over 20 years.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Check out Virgin Mobile. They have the iPhone 4s (for full price!) with semi-unlimited plans (voice minutes are limited, messages and data are not) starting at $30/month for the iPhone. I haven't been looking for long, but that's one option that looked appealing. If you keep your phones for a long time it should be cheaper.
We have been on the Virgin Paylo month-to-month for about 6 months and it's working out great. 1500 minutes/1500 messages/30MB data.

I have been coveting an iPhone but won't pay the rates on a contract plan like Verizon. I just looked at what it would cost to purchase an iPhone 4 from Virgin.......$649.99. Yikes!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I have been coveting an iPhone but won't pay the rates on a contract plan like Verizon. I just looked at what it would cost to purchase an iPhone 4 from Virgin.......$649.99. Yikes!!!
Yes, but if you go on contract, you are paying that (and probably more), just not up-front. TNSTAAFL.

I prefer to pay up-front, and I can buy a new phone when I want/need. On contract, if your 2 year period is up, but you want to wait 6 months for some rumored new phone, or are just happy with what you have, you are essentially paying the monthly cost of that new phone that you didn't buy. No Thanks.

Easy for me to say, I have a cheap-o $19.99 flip Even though smart-phones have great features, I find this little flip to be much easier to just make/take a phone call. No screen unlock or anything.

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm POd at Verizon. I upgraded to a Razr Maxx a few months ago and was able to keep my unlimited data plan. Unfortunately, the Maxx was faulty so I returned it. I just learned that they changed their policy a few weeks ago -- if I upgrade now I go on a new contract and lose the unlimited data. I will probably upgrade DW's new iPhone 4 (3G) to an iPhone 5 (4G) using my eligibility and use her old new phone on my account so I keep unlimited data for a while longer.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Yes, we are presently paying about $70/mo for two basic phones incl taxes & fees.. the new cost would be $40 x 2 plus $50 for the lowest data allowance (plus taxes, fees).
You might check out Page Plus -- prepaid on Verizon network with several options to buy blocks of minutes or monthly packages with data as well. Page Plus turns out to be way less expensive for me. No additional fees or taxes tacked on to the plans. You can also use most Verizon phones.
Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones
Old 07-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Administrator

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 with unlimited data and have had this phone for about a year and a half. I think the iPhone originally cost me $199, and my total bill including voice time, data, and fees is $76/month.

It is definitely a luxury and not a necessity, but I can afford it and I do not feel that the monthly fees are outrageous. I do like having the internet with me everywhere.

Even now, I sometimes forget that I have access to all that information when I am out and about. Sign of my age, I suppose.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
OK but that really isn't comparable. You are paying now for 2 basic phones

The $130 for 2 new phones plus data would be for 2 smartphones, not basic phones. And, it would included unlimited voice minutes and unlimited texts.

Now -- if you don't need or want those things -- then the extra cost isn't worth it. If you were wanting to get a smartphone instead of a basic phone then its not so bad and does give you more than what you are getting now.

We have 5 phones on our Verizon plan and have determined that moving to the shared plan will save us a total of $2 a month. However, we do like the idea of sharing data since some people in the family use it a lot more than others.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I have yet to find phone service that is affordable.

Any smart phone requires a data plan.

I have Verizon now but not under contract. I have the 'secret' family 550 share mins.

If I get 2 smart phones and 1 basic phone with unlimited text it would cost over $2000 a year. No thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Any smart phone requires a data plan.
Not necessarily.

DW and I use AT&T and our (voice and text) contract expired a while back. Instead of getting new phones and getting tied up with another contract, we each purchased one of these from Amazon, stuck in our AT&T sim cards and now have WiFi only smart phones. Not perfect, but certainly less expensive than a data plan - and WiFi networks are available in many more places than you would think.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
You might check out Page Plus -- prepaid on Verizon network with several options to buy blocks of minutes or monthly packages with data as well. Page Plus turns out to be way less expensive for me. No additional fees or taxes tacked on to the plans. You can also use most Verizon phones.
Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones
Thanks for the info. I may go this route when my prepaid tmobile expires.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm POd at Verizon. I upgraded to a Razr Maxx a few months ago and was able to keep my unlimited data plan. Unfortunately, the Maxx was faulty so I returned it. I just learned that they changed their policy a few weeks ago -- if I upgrade now I go on a new contract and lose the unlimited data. I will probably upgrade DW's new iPhone 4 (3G) to an iPhone 5 (4G) using my eligibility and use her old new phone on my account so I keep unlimited data for a while longer.
Virgin Mobile has an unlimited minutes/messages/data plan for $55 per month, $50 on autopay. You would have to purchase the iPhone for $650 but it's the 4s. They have a 4G phone, the HTC EVO ($300), with unlimited for $55/$50 per month. Not a bad deal.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Really good information about Virgin Mobile phones. We've been month-to-monthing on ATT and were ready to move to Verizon to upgrade to 2 smart phones on the all-in-one plan. But maybe DH will stay at ATT, get his subsidized upgrade to the iPhone 4S and keep his plan as is, and I'll go be a virgin!

Does anyone know if you can keep your existing phone number if you move to the month to month plan on Virgin?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Does anyone know if you can keep your existing phone number if you move to the month to month plan on Virgin?
Their FAQ sections says "yes'.
Quote:
This does look interesting. How is the signal quality around the US?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I missed that on the website, Michael--thanks!

I did see on the Virgin site that the phone service is on the Sprint network. I think there is a place on the site to check coverage.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever
I missed that on the website, Michael--thanks!

I did see on the Virgin site that the phone service is on the Sprint network. I think there is a place on the site to check coverage.
+1