Join Early Retirement Today

USA Today Comments
Old 12-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

USA Today Comments

The article is fine, a positive response to a slam dunk example of ready to FIRE. But the comments are fun. Most people say FIRE is unrealistic:

Can I retire at 60? How to do the math
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

The article was great until the last line: "Now meet with a financial adviser to get all the details exactly right."

And you're right, the comments are a hoot.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The comments section of every large paper article is pure crab-pot underbelly hatred and whining. Unless I am looking to indulge my inner curmudgeon (Fred on Everything posts are a lot more entertaining when I choose to do so), I avoid them. Tarnishes the soul.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The comments section of every large paper article is pure crab-pot underbelly hatred and whining. Unless I am looking to indulge my inner curmudgeon (Fred on Everything posts are a lot more entertaining when I choose to do so), I avoid them. Tarnishes the soul.

God, yes. I despair when I read comments pretty much anywhere.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. I can't think of many other ways to waste A LOT of time. I really don't give a hoot what the sheeple thing about any given topic anyway. Plus, it's a treasure trove for trolls.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Actually compared to other sites, the comments were not that bad. A few years ago I did have to show DW the Yahoo comment section just so she could keep up with the cultural references to 'Yahoo trolls' or the phrase that 'this or that person sounds like they are reading from the yahoo comments section'

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I can only hope it's trolls. So much ignorance all in one convenient location.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's one of the things that used to drive me CRAZY about the more modern news reporting is asking the average Joe what they think of certain newsworthy events. Plus what is trending on Twitter or Facebook or whatever.

I noticed CNN starting to do this heavily about a decade ago, and I just hated it. They aren't the only ones by any means. I don't CARE what the average person's opinion of the news is!!! Please don't waste the news hour.

Well, we stopped watching national news 5 years ago, and completely stopped local news 3 years ago. If something important happens, it usually shows up in one of our news feeds or one of the forums I frequent. Good enough for me! I miss so much crap now it's wonderful!!!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's one of the things that used to drive me CRAZY about the more modern news reporting is asking the average Joe what they think of certain newsworthy events. Plus what is trending on Twitter or Facebook or whatever.

I noticed CNN starting to do this heavily about a decade ago, and I just hated it. They aren't the only ones by any means. I don't CARE what the average person's opinion of the news is!!! Please don't waste the news hour.

Well, we stopped watching national news 5 years ago, and completely stopped local news 3 years ago. If something important happens, it usually shows up in one of our news feeds or one of the forums I frequent. Good enough for me! I miss so much crap now it's wonderful!!!!!
I agree with you 100%. There is no good reason to ask Jimmy Bob what he thinks of gas prices. How exactly is his opinion "newsworthy"?

I have heard that many news outlets are getting away from the comment sections. I tend to think that's a good idea...there *could* be good discussions on the subject but that just really doesn't happen anymore. I am using Google Now more and more for my "feed" of information. The snippets of "news" is usually more than enough. I can get updated on what's going on in the world in less than 60 seconds.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

..snip..

I agree with all your post but I've been thinking the same thing about news. Why?

National is mainly entertainment, if anything real happened it's no longer news at 5:30 or talked to death on local. So maybe local has value, except in the recent snow storm the big news was broadcasting as the reporter's driving down the road! What's that about? How's that news? Did they just get a license? I'm done.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
'The Onion' has a great take on those sort of things in their 'American Voices' section http://www.theonion.com/features/american-voices

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
God, yes. I despair when I read comments pretty much anywhere.
I used to read some of the comments to articles in Newsday's (my local Long Island newspaper) website before Newsday ended its free access to it back in 2007. Man, it was a cesspool of rudeness, stupidity, ignorance, and bigotry.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #13

Where do they get these examples? I make more money than 95% of Americans. My wife and I have pensions and SS that are greater than our combined expenses. We also have almost 2 million in savings, which alone is more than we need for the rest of our lives. Can I retire?

Advice: Yes, but since you cannot understand that you have more than double what you really need, you better give a significant percentage of your savings to a financial adviser who will skim a generous percentage for himself.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It is true that the case in the article is statistically well above the norm even in the US. The couple are somewhere around the top 5% in NW, and regular defined benefit pensions are very rare today. However, I also agree that the majority of people do not work at being disciplined with their money, the way that most people on this site do. If the average person practiced LBYM, controlled their spending, saved and invested as much as they could, then they would be far better off.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh my, this comment section is priceless. I live such a sheltered life.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Well, they did pick an atypical example and I can understand why the average person would feel a bit disgruntled. In my 30s I was married to a financial train wreck, living in a HCOL area and struggling to save anything while keeping the bills paid. I got so tired of seeing Biff and Muffy smiling smugly in the cover of Money Magazine every month, and reading about their paid-for house, quarter-million in retirement savings and fully-funded accounts to pay for Harvard for their 2.5 kids that I quit reading it.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #17

The people on ER.org often have pensions, good pay, megacorp or Govt/military benefits and have also probably been prudent with their money. They are out of the ordinary and most people cannot hope to save the sorts of figures many of us have here. The comments often show a lack of knowledge or envy, but it's a good reminder that this forum is the 1% and most people have a far harder time financially......and usually not because of stupidity.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #18

Never underestimate the antipathy of the have-nots for the haves. As forum members here are generally in the latter category such sentiments are less often expressed around here, but even in our genteel backwater of internet privilege an undercurrent of unpleasant comment will often well up when particularly fortunate individuals post details of their circumstances.

Throw that in with a widespread distrust of "elites" among some segments of America and the commentary following that article is not at all surprising.

As it turns out I like reading commentary like that. It reminds me to watch my wagging tongue when traveling around the good 'ole USA.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

My millennial son recently sent me a link to an article about how the average young adult today is having a much harder time than those of previous generations. Rather than argue the point my reply was simply that it was all the more reason reason to strive to not be average.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I confess that I like comment sections...in some places. Yes, some of them are terrible and even the best have some idiots and trolls. But, it is often in the comments that you get a different perspective and often valuable information that the article itself left out. There are some articles where I eagerly read the comments to see what the author has failed to mention. For me, the best comment section is probably those at the New York Times. They recently had an article about some of the frequent commenters that I found really interesting. I enjoy reading Vox, but think it is the poorer for not having comments. I guess I want a comments section but want it moderated.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote