Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

USAA - is your parent a veteran?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

USAA - is your parent a veteran?

I nagged my father into joining USAA (you have to be a veteran, but if you are, your children can get all the benefits too even after his death). I figured I'd utilize it to build up some credibility. He's 92 so it was important to not wait to do this - he's still okay mentally but no bets on how long that lasts at his age.

Sounds morbid, but if anyone has a parent who was a WWII vet or whatever, have the parent apply for usaa - they have to take out a policy of some sort (I am paying for it) to activate it. There are a lot of good benefits and once the vet has died... you can't activate it. If it's in place already, the children can get all the same benefits (low insurance theoretically although I think we are doing better with AAA).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't get into USAA because wile my dad was a vet, he passed some years ago. Great outfit tho.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a vet & been with USAA for decades. Net rates (after subscriber dividends) have been unbeatable, but auto service has gone downhill over past sev yrs- at least for those of us not living in military towns.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The USAA website says military veterans are: former officers or enlisted personnel. If you or you parent were drafted(did not enlist) are you still eligible? I didn't find that info on the site.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If you or you parent were drafted(did not enlist) are you still eligible?
Yes. Anyone who served in the US military and received an honorable discharge is eligible as are their children.

See this website: USAA Eligibility
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My dad was a veteran (enlisted). I don't know why he didn't join USAA, but he didn't, and thus I was unable to join despite being a veteran's daughter.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Amethyst, USAA didn't open membership eligibility to enlisted personnel until November of 2009.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
... take out a policy of some sort ...
My dad was in a couple of wars. Or one war and one "police action". I knew nothing of what I might buy from them, so checked wikipedia:

Here's what it said about the first one..insurance...
Quote:
USAA offers a range of personal property and casualty (P&C) insurance, including automobile insurance, homeowner insurance, renters insurance, as well as umbrella and personal property insurance. In addition to P&C insurance, USAA provides whole life insurance, term life insurance, and annuities. USAA's life insurance policies, while not completely unique in the industry, are different from most offerings since they do not include a war-exclusion clause[11] (also known as a "war clause").
I have my insurance with Amica. Might not be the cheapest, but their service is great. Might be nice to have the flexibility to use this company. I'll have a chat with my sisters and see if they're interested.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Amethyst, USAA didn't open membership eligibility to enlisted personnel until November of 2009.
Thank you, REW

I served a 4 year enlistment in the USMC in the 1960's. Honestly, I never heard of USAA until I found this forum. Now, I can't turn on the TV without seeing USAA.

Now that I know that USAA did not admit enlisted in my day, I'm not interested in joining. In my day (in the USMC) officers and enlisted did not socialize.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah, explains why my dad never mentioned it.

Not sure it is worth our time complicating things with another insurance product for dad (who is near 90, WWII vet). He has way too many policies right now, and siblings and I are managing his affairs, not really ready to add more stuff.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, that would explain it, since Dad died in 1997.

So, by '09 they were losing $ and had to hold their noses and let in the hoi-polloi?

A.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Not sure it is worth our time complicating things with another insurance product for dad (who is near 90, WWII vet). He has way too many policies right now, and siblings and I are managing his affairs, not really ready to add more stuff.
I'm not sure he would need to actually purchase a policy to become a member. Might be worth a few minutes to check since his membership would allow you and your children to become members as well.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So, by '09 they were losing $ and had to hold their noses and let in the hoi-polloi?
Not exactly how or why membership eligibility evolved. This NY Times article explains it pretty well:

USAA: An Insurance Club That Just Got Bigger - NYTimes.com

Another big reason the Times article missed is the fact the military has shrunk in size substantially. Far fewer officers and therefore a much smaller pool of potential new members as us old ones die off...
Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #14

The veteran has to buy some product from USAA to activate it, and keep paying it. Since my 92 year old father was willing to do it but seemed stumped by the paying part, I am paying insurance on something he owns (cheap). According to a friend who has been able to use it for some years, since her late husband was career military, there are all kinds of good deals.

The main thing - for those of us for whom the veteran is my father's age - is to activate the connection ASAP. The VETERAN has to activate it and buy something. Then when my father dies, my brother and I still get the benefits until my death.

In my case I called them and they put my dad on a three-way call and explained it to him, and he agreed - it was all set up in a short phone call once I gave them my credit card to bill it to. But it had to be a policy of my dad's. Not as complicated as it sounds.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Ah, explains why my dad never mentioned it.

Not sure how much your dad has to buy. But if he can become a member, so can his kids -- and that alone might make it worth looking into if it's not too much of a hassle for him.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Everyone in my family is with USAA except me. Got home & auto insurance quotes a few years ago but USAA was slightly higher than our incumbent insurer. Starting to think I should find a way to join as my parents are 91, and the source of my eligibility.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
The veteran has to buy some product from USAA to activate it, and keep paying it.
Hmmmm......

We were told in 2012 that the veteran (our dad) only had to buy one product only one time ($28 personal property annual policy served the purpose) to open access to all the products to his kids.

Then we have to buy one product only one time in order to open the products to our kids.

Guess I'll have to ask if this has changed.

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #18

Historically, only U.S. military officers (among certain other federally sworn officers) were eligible to join USAA, with descendants of USAA members able to purchase insurance from USAA-CIC. It did not matter if one was an active duty or retired officer; one could join at any time. In 1973, membership was opened to members of the National Guard and Reserves, and in 1996, eligibility was expanded to enlisted members of the armed services. As the number of persons who have served on active duty in an enlisted status in the U.S. Armed Forces is quite large, USAA chose to limit the establishment of eligibility to those who were currently on active duty or who had recently separated. The same time limit on establishment of eligibility was then applied to military officers. As USAA's capacity for taking on new members expanded, eligibility criteria relaxed. In 2008, USAA expanded membership eligibility to all military personnel and retirees, and all veterans who separated after 1996.[21] In November 2009, USAA expanded eligibility requirements to offer coverage to anyone who has ever served honorably in the US Military.[22]
Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Historically, only U.S. military officers (among certain other federally sworn officers) were eligible to join USAA, with descendants of USAA members able to purchase insurance from USAA-CIC. It did not matter if one was an active duty or retired officer; one could join at any time. In 1973, membership was opened to members of the National Guard and Reserves, and in 1996, eligibility was expanded to enlisted members of the armed services. As the number of persons who have served on active duty in an enlisted status in the U.S. Armed Forces is quite large, USAA chose to limit the establishment of eligibility to those who were currently on active duty or who had recently separated. The same time limit on establishment of eligibility was then applied to military officers. As USAA's capacity for taking on new members expanded, eligibility criteria relaxed. In 2008, USAA expanded membership eligibility to all military personnel and retirees, and all veterans who separated after 1996.[21] In November 2009, USAA expanded eligibility requirements to offer coverage to anyone who has ever served honorably in the US Military.[22]
I was unaware I could join USAA until today based on my ROTC service.

I just signed up, but I am not sure there is any products I need from them but certainly can't hurt to get a quotes on insurance from them.

Still the glowing reviews from people like Nords, and the vets on the forum make me think that that USAA is a pretty special organization.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #20

I've been a USAA member for 45 years, so I have a good feeling about them. A few auto accidents in my youth were handled very well, and I've never had a problem.

The fact that the members own the company is pretty special. I paid about $1,500 last year for the house, two cars (both with comprehensive and collision), and umbrella coverage. My rebates last year amounted to well over $500, which kept my premiums low. You get a special extra rebate if you've been a member for over 40 years, but even the regular rebate is pretty good.

Every few years, I give in to temptation and check with another company to see what their rates would be. And every time, as soon as I mention I'm with USAA, the response is always "Oh, we can't beat them. Thanks for considering XYZ Insurance."
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote