Join Early Retirement Today

USAA or Vanguard
Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

USAA or Vanguard

Hello,

Am trying to decide whether to execute a financial plan, devised by a USAA CFP, involving about 12 positions in USAA and non-USAA funds. The non-USAA funds will involve ca. $500 to establish initial positions in the brokerage! Seems steep. The adviser seems competent but the folks over at Bogleheads have more or less torn it apart. I'd appreciate any feedback on folks who've had experience with USAA advising services and the equivalent at Vanguard and how they've fared. Thanks, John.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

johnk, I have experience with both and agree with the folks at Bogleheads - go with Vanguard. USAA advisors are better than most but their funds and brokerage costs aren't that great. You'll have a tough time finding a better overall value than Vanguard.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
I'd appreciate any feedback on folks who've had experience with USAA advising services and the equivalent at Vanguard and how they've fared. Thanks, John.
I've been with USAA for over 25 years.

If you want to insure your car or your house or your personal liability, then go to USAA. IIRC one of the "A"s stands for "automobile".

If you want someone to invest your money, or if you want someone to tell you how to invest your money, then go to Fidelity or Vanguard. They charge less and they have a better track record.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would go with the one that has a good reputation, is least expensive and helps me achieve my goals.

I have not used USAA... but I know people that do and they seem pleased with it.

IMHO - VG is the lowest cost MF company and they have a good reputation.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

USAA has some decent funds, but they tend to be much costlier than Vanguard's. More often than not I would prefer the Vanguard funds -- though despite the costs, USAA's gold fund (USAGX) is one of the best there is and that is certainly one USAA fund I would hold (and do).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you for your responses. I very much appreciate it. John.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditto exactly what Nords said.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Ditto to Nords. I transferred my USAA funds to Vanguard a few years back. Big difference in costs/fees.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used USAA for banking and insurance for years and have always been a happy customer. I sold some inherited USAA funds long ago and am now primarily with Vanguard and a few other companies (not USAA), and have been satisfied there as well. It would be hard to go wrong choosing Vanguard.
headingout is offline   Reply With Quote