Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Hi davismills. So sorry for your banking problems.

You mentioned
Quote:
when I returned home the account had been hacked again.
Unless I missed something, was that second "hack" also a forged check or was it something else?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Hi davismills. So sorry for your banking problems.

You mentioned

Unless I missed something, was that second "hack" also a forged check or was it something else?
To the best of my knowledge it was another forged check (triple the size of the first one). I could not verify because the second phone call to USAA apparently caused them to actually freeze the account. I can see the amount of the forgery, but not the instrument. The thief seemed to be fishing for the "bottom" of my account.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I agree with others who indicate that the bank will "make you whole." It's clearly not your fault. I am surprised that USAA FSB has not provided you with better customer service. They thrive on that stuff.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 04-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP: For the life of me I don't see how these forged checks - or whatever the term is - could possibly be your legal liability. I'm sure this is stressful until the money is reinstated, but it sure looks like a no-brainer that you will get your money back.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
To the best of my knowledge it was another forged check (triple the size of the first one). I could not verify because the second phone call to USAA apparently caused them to actually freeze the account. I can see the amount of the forgery, but not the instrument. The thief seemed to be fishing for the "bottom" of my account.
Even though you have spoken with USAA at least twice on this and your account has been frozen, you still need to report this in writing - proof that you reported the fraud in a timely manner. You should send the letter certified, with return receipt. Mentioning in the letter that you have filed a police report can be helpful.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Even though you have spoken with USAA at least twice on this and your account has been frozen, you still need to report this in writing - proof that you reported the fraud in a timely manner. You should send the letter certified, with return receipt. Mentioning in the letter that you have filed a police report can be helpful.
Will do. Picking up the police report tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's in the thread title.
OK... missed that... thanks!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #28

I split cash among several banks for this reason. If someone empties one account, there are others that will supply emergency funds while the bank taking the loss straightens out the mess.

I would include a copy of the police report in the certified letter.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:58 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: After a week of phone calls and certified mailings of police reports and letters, USAA has made me whole. Apparently, the banking industry is regulated differently regarding forged checks versus ATM/credit card fraud. Of the dozen or so calls I made, I was given a different explanation each time, so I'm convinced that the experience level at USAA has decreased somewhat.

I've run virus/spyware scans on both of my computers and each time they've come up clean. We've moved all financial info to one dedicated Ubuntu (Linux) based laptop that remains offline 99 percent of the time. That laptop has one purpose and one purpose only. All my money has been moved to a local backup bank. I still don't know HOW someone got my account number and I suppose that will remain a mystery.

I sincerely hope that no one following this thread ever experiences a week such as this one. Thanks for all the advice...which was spot on.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:03 AM   #30
Administrator

Good news! Thanks for the update.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Good news that you've been made whole, and although it may have seemed like a long battle, a week is really a short time to get full restitution.

Quote:
I've run virus/spyware scans on both of my computers and each time they've come up clean. We've moved all financial info to one dedicated Ubuntu (Linux) based laptop that remains offline 99 percent of the time. That laptop has one purpose and one purpose only. All my money has been moved to a local backup bank. I still don't know HOW someone got my account number and I suppose that will remain a mystery.
Check fraud pre-dates computer hacking by a hundred years or more. Account numbers are relatively easy to obtain, especially for a skilled check forger. I doubt your computer was involved, but it never hurts to take precautions.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Update: After a week of phone calls and certified mailings of police reports and letters, USAA has made me whole. Apparently, the banking industry is regulated differently regarding forged checks versus ATM/credit card fraud. Of the dozen or so calls I made, I was given a different explanation each time, so I'm convinced that the experience level at USAA has decreased somewhat.

I sincerely hope that no one following this thread ever experiences a week such as this one. Thanks for all the advice...which was spot on.
1) Also examine the router and/or wireless for any vulnerabilities.
2) Think about who has physical access to your "secrets."
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I still don't know HOW someone got my account number and I suppose that will remain a mystery.

They simply could have gotten your information off a check you wrote. We had that happen several times where I used to work. In one case, I suspected an employee copied a check at a vendor. There were two likely vendors in the area where the forged checks were being passed. They just created personal checks using our bank account info that is at the bottom of each check.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

USAA has made me whole.
Great news. Nice job staying with it!

Old 04-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:

Just curious - did USAA share with you if this fraud was carried out at a USAA branch or did it take place at another bank?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
1) Also examine the router and/or wireless for any vulnerabilities.
2) Think about who has physical access to your "secrets."
You're over-thinking this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
They simply could have gotten your information off a check you wrote. We had that happen several times where I used to work. In one case, I suspected an employee copied a check at a vendor. There were two likely vendors in the area where the forged checks were being passed. They just created personal checks using our bank account info that is at the bottom of each check.
There's very little easier to come by than an account number. Then you can look up the routing number on the web. I do it all the time when I don't have my checkbook nearby. According to the OP's statements someone kited a couple of checks on him. That doesn't have anything to do with his computer. It would be like running Malwarebytes because somebody stole your car.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Ok I'm confused about how a fake check can be drawn against a savings account. I know every check has the account and routing info in plain text (why is that not encoded) but how does that provide access to a savings account ?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Ok I'm confused about how a fake check can be drawn against a savings account. I know every check has the account and routing info in plain text (why is that not encoded) but how does that provide access to a savings account ?

The reason the MICR isn't encoded is that today it's read by machines at about 100 checks a second. I'm assuming that's because prior when humans had to read cheques they had to be readable.

Can't explain the savings account.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The reason the MICR isn't encoded is that today it's read by machines at about 100 checks a second. I'm assuming that's because prior when humans had to read cheques they had to be readable.

Thanks but it seems your point is more in favor of encoding than plain text. (I can guess the meaning.but what does MICR stand for?)

Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Paper Account statement that fill into the hands of a bad actor?

I am pretty sure that banking ACH/EFT transfers will in general work for savings as well as checking accounts.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote