USAA's invited me to San Antonio!

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
"I'm goin' to San Antonio." Hmm. Almost the same impact as the original cliché!

A few months ago, "Alert Reader" REWahoo! told me about USAA's "Military Blogger of the Month" recognition. I immediately [-]started mining this valuable bloggers' resource[/-] nominated The-Military-Guide and received a polite "We appreciate your feedback" note from a USAA staffer. I don't exactly consider my blog to be in the same league as this group , and I can understand USAA hesitating to recommend a blog that's selling a product (no matter what's being done with the royalties). So I moved on with the rest of the book's marketing plan.

Then a couple weeks ago USAA's public relations exec subscribed to The-Military-Guide.com. I figured they were running low on blogger nominees but didn't really give it much thought. However last week the "Ask USAA" host started following my Twitter feed. Again I just figured some poor USAA staffer was running daily keyword searches and had swept up my feed in the collective.

Well, now USAA's grabbed my attention with both hands by sending this invitation:
Greetings!
I am USAA’s executive director of communities and collaboration, responsible for the team that leads our social media efforts. I’d like to invite you to San Antonio, TX – the home of USAA’s 5-million-square-foot headquarters – for a unique opportunity to attend our special Patriot Day event, learn more about our organization’s mission and tell us how we’re serving military members and their families. USAA is happy to offer attendees a stipend to cover travel and lodging for your trip to San Antonio.
You are part of a select group of important financial industry/military/technology bloggers, editors and reporters to whom we are offering the opportunity to join us September 8 and 9. If you accept, you’ll attend our special event to remember and honor the victims of September 11 and get an insider’s look at our Fortune 200 company, which is focused on facilitating the financial security of 8.2 million members, associates, and their families. We have an exciting two days planned with an agenda that includes:
* A chance to meet with key officers and innovative thinkers at USAA.
* A tour of USAA Headquarters with a peek at our Innovation Lab, where we cook up cool ways to serve our members better.
* Attending USAA’s 10th anniversary September 11 remembrance ceremony, featuring guest speaker Vice Admiral Bill McRaven, a Navy SEAL and San Antonio native responsible for capturing Saddam Hussein and commanding the special operations raid against Usama Bin Laden.
* Networking with key members of the financial services, military, technology, and insurance industries.

When you RSVP, please:
* Let us know some topics you’d like to learn more about while you’re with us,
* Include your Facebook and Twitter handles so that we can set up a private Facebook group or Twitter stream to provide event updates, and
* Indicate whether or not you are interested in the stipend; if so, we will provide more information.

We hope to see you in September!
Best,
Augie Ray
Executive Director of Community and Collaboration
USAA

Of course I accepted, and I'll probably be flying in on the 7th. My plans after that are flexible because I need to either return on the 10th (I'm not flying on the 10th anniversary of 9/11) or stay for a few extra days to do book signings at the Lackland & Fort Sam Houston military exchanges.

I've asked USAA if guests can attend and what parts of the event are open to the public. I've told them that people want to know how USAA's financial products (CDs, mortgages, mutual funds) could be made more competitive with NFCU, PenFed, Fidelity, & Vanguard. I've told them that [-]my daughter[/-] college students would like to know whether USAA will consider ROTC & service academy income for a USAA credit card.

I'll post USAA's responses. What other questions would you like me to ask them?

I don't know what hotel USAA is using, but presumably it'll be near their corporate offices. Who's up for a San Antonio E-R.org chapter meeting?

If they're going to invite you to Texas, the least they could do is NOT extend the invite during the six months of summer here....

That is so amazing, Nords! Have a wonderful time. You're going to enjoy the tour of the building - it's very impressive. The cafeterias used to have to-die-for desserts until the health craze hit the company.

One thing I'd like to know is if they think rates for their annuities, specifically the Flexible Retirement Savings Annuity and the Single Premium Immediate Annuity, will go up in 2012.

Have a great time.

If they're going to invite you to Texas, the least they could do is NOT extend the invite during the six months of summer here....
What part of Texas do you live in where summer is ONLY six months? :LOL:

Nords,

Congrats on the USAA trip to SA.

Do you think you will get to Houston on this trip?

2soon

* Indicate whether or not you are interested in the stipend; if so, we will provide more information.

So, do you think you're going to be interested in the stipend?
:ROFLMAO:

Nords, that's good to hear. Hope it results in greater exposure for the book - and more sales.

Nords, Congratulations and glad to see you are getting recognition for your hard work.

Congrats, and enjoy the trip!

I have been a member of USAA for some years now, and they have always treated me well and with respect. I intend to have more of my assets with them as present CDs mature.

Awesome! So I suspect all these former GOs and Senior Field graders who "love" their job will be wondering who is this guy? He retired at what age? How does he spend his time? I can't wait to hear the After Action Review. Well deserved!

JDARNELL

Congrats Nords, I hope you enjoy the trip.

Awesome - congrats! The VFW is sending me to San Antonio the last week of 27 Aug - Sept 2...too bad you are not heading out then!

I don't know what hotel USAA is using, but presumably it'll be near their corporate offices.

USAA owns a hotel in San Antonio (Westin La Cantera), so I imagine it would be that one. It comes up under travel when you go to their shopping and discounts page. Then again, it looks more like a resort than a hotel, so maybe not.

Good 4 U, Nords.

The U.S. government also invited me to visit San Antonio back in '67 (basic training :cool: )...

Even though it was not officially summer, we still had a guy drop dead on the PT field, due to heat exhaustion (along with an unknown heart issue).

South Texas - a good place to be from (sorry, but I hate the heat)...

Have fun (with a couple of Margarita’s on the River Walk – just don't have too many and fall in)...

USAA owns a hotel in San Antonio (Westin La Cantera), so I imagine it would be that one. It comes up under travel when you go to their shopping and discounts page. Then again, it looks more like a resort than a hotel, so maybe not.

La Cantera is a very nice place to stay, if that's where they put visitors these days. I do miss the Mexican food at the Alamo Cafe - especially their tortillas.

WOO-HOO! Wow, Nords! that's great! Congrats.

I'm impressed and I know they will be, too, when they get to meet you.

Hopefully this will expand the reach of your book and blog.

omni

Awesome! So I suspect all these former GOs and Senior Field graders who "love" their job will be wondering who is this guy? He retired at what age? How does he spend his time? I can't wait to hear the After Action Review. Well deserved!
I'm definitely going to have to preserve a sense of humor in the face of cluelessness. Starting as soon as some asks me "What's your retired rank?"

I feel as if things are "going corporate". My Twitter account has picked up another half-dozen followers, a couple more people have subscribed to the blog (all with corporate e-mail addresses), and blog traffic is noticeably higher. USAA has hired a public-relations firm to put together a "Publishers Community" account (whatever that may turn out to be). We're also going to be doing more Twitter and Facebook info somehow.

Thanks for everyone's e-mails and PMs. I'll let you know the schedule, who can be at what, and when there'll be free time. I need another couple weeks with the publisher to sort out whether I should stay in San Antonio over the weekend for book signings at the military exchanges, or whether we should try to cram that in during the week.

The U.S. government also invited me to visit San Antonio back in '67 (basic training :cool: )...
Even though it was not officially summer, we still had a guy drop dead on the PT field, due to heat exhaustion (along with an unknown heart issue).
South Texas - a good place to be from (sorry, but I hate the heat)...
Have fun (with a couple of Margarita’s on the River Walk – just don't have too many and fall in)...
Last year when our daughter reported to her Houston NROTC unit for indoc, the first thing they did was ship her to Fort Sam Houston for gear issue & training. I also carried spouse's bags to a Navy Reserve conference there in early 2007, where REWahoo! and a few other E-R.org posters helped jump-start the book.

I love Hawaii culture & cuisine, but I'm looking forward to eating Tex-Mex 3x/day again...

This is good news for you and "the project." Well deserved notoriety and a chance to expose folks to your good work. Congrats.

I've told them that people want to know how USAA's financial products (CDs, mortgages, mutual funds) could be made more competitive with NFCU, PenFed, Fidelity, & Vanguard. I've told them that [-]my daughter[/-] college students would like to know whether USAA will consider ROTC & service academy income for a USAA credit card.

I'll post USAA's responses. What other questions would you like me to ask them?
You've hit the big ones. The insurance company is untouchable--can we get the same cost/service package in their investment and banking products? That's probably a lot to ask.

I'd make fun of you going to Texas in the summer, except for I'm going to Vegas in July, which is possibly even hotter than Texas. Sounds like interesting trip.

Well another congratulations from me to you Nords. :flowers:

I'd make fun of you going to Texas in the summer, except for I'm going to Vegas in July, which is possibly even hotter than Texas. Sounds like interesting trip.
If life doesn't smack me upside my head again, I'm planning on going to Vegas in August. Ahhhhhh....Las Vegas in August. :)

:p

Here's a question I'd ask iffin I were there -

At first it was kind of cool to see USAA advertising during the Army-Navy game last year. Then their ads started to appear more frequently on the telly. And it's almost like we're letting too many people in on our secret...

Is the USAA membership base eroding so quickly that national television adverts are the way to increase members? Or is this a hint at a shift away from the association's traditional marketing? Or should we just ignore the changes that continue to take place along Fredericksburg Road? I've even heard other members saying their rates have been bested by other insurance companies. This 42+ year member is kinda concerned, but I just can't put my finger on "Why?" I'm uncomfortable with things at USAA.

Here's a question I'd ask iffin I were there -

At first it was kind of cool to see USAA advertising during the Army-Navy game last year. Then their ads started to appear more frequently on the telly. And it's almost like we're letting too many people in on our secret...

Is the USAA membership base eroding so quickly that national television adverts are the way to increase members? Or is this a hint at a shift away from the association's traditional marketing? Or should we just ignore the changes that continue to take place along Fredericksburg Road? I've even heard other members saying their rates have been bested by other insurance companies. This 42+ year member is kinda concerned, but I just can't put my finger on "Why?" I'm uncomfortable with things at USAA.

I think I can answer your question. You're right in that USAA used to advertise only in military magazines. That was the time the membership was available ONLY to officers.

What's happened with the "public" advertisements is USAA is trying to get the word out that "all who have served honorably" are eligible for USAA membership. Membership is no longer limited to the officer ranks. USAA received mail for decades from enlisted and former officers asking why they were not eligible for membership (officers had to be active duty to be eligible for membership - not just separated; enlisted were simply SOL).

USAA did not need the revenue - they are doing just fine. What changed was deciding the right thing to do was to open membership to everyone who honorably served in the military - not just active duty officers. The newest message - the one that's been on TV lately - is the legacy of the membership. You can pass it down to your children and to their children.

While the membership is opened to anyone who (honorably) served in the military, the underwriting requirements for P&C insurance have NOT been relaxed.

The company is being very cautious about "growth for growth's sake". All changes must benefit the membership as a whole.

I'm proud to be a 35 year member and will continue to use USAA goods and services. That company is rock solid on core values and doing the right thing at the right time for the right reason.

What's happened with the "public" advertisements is USAA is trying to get the word out that "all who have served honorably" are eligible for USAA membership. Membership is no longer limited to the officer ranks.
+1. This is precisely why they began a major ad campaign.

USAA did not need the revenue -
I don't think this is entirely accurate.

Although I couldn't locate a quick and dirty reference, I'm fairly certain the number of officers in the US military has steadily declined over the years. This resulted in a potential declining membership base for USAA, which was the driving force behind them opening up to first NCO's, then to virtually all veterans. I understand they were projecting poor growth opportunity if they did not make some changes.

I wish them nothing but the best - I've been a USAA member for more than 40 years and got my first "senior bonus" payment from my Subscriber Savings Acct earlier this year. It was enough to pay the annual premium for my homeowners policy - and you know how expensive homeowners insurance is in Texas...:)

Nords, there must be a way for you to accidentally e-mail to your father's LTC company a draft of some public comments you may or may not choose to make in San Antonio regarding how frustrating and expensive it can be for retirees to deal with an LTC company....

Back
Top Bottom