Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkoukios View Post
I have been struggling with the math for a similar situation. I can buy up to 24 months of service. Each year adds 2.5 % to my pension. The pension has a 3% cola. Salary pension is based on is 100k, so that math is easy. The hard math is it cost 41k per year so for 82k for two years Of credits, I can receive 5k a year additional in pension. Pension goes from 60k to 65k.
So bottom line for 82k I receive 5k with a 3% cola. So the first year is aprox. 6% .
I'm torn. Leaning towards not buying any. I retire June 3, 2016. Any comments, suggestions??
Thanks.
Does that include survivor's benefits? Are you married? What other assets/pensions do you and your spouse have? Social Security? If the above includes survivor's benefits at 100% or 75%, and your pension income is not more than, say, 60% of your total projected income, I'd feel comfortable buying it....but I wouldn't want to have me and my spouse depending entirely on this pension, and then when you pass on they get nothing. Depends on your overall portfolio and what % this pension represents of your other cash flow sources.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

I plan to purchase 5 years of service credit when I retire next month. It is COLA'd and transferable to spouse, and will increase pension by 10% of salary. I like the recent poster's plan of putting the required funds in stable value pool until transfer. I'd hate to take a big hit on the value in the last month, although I'd love for it to go up...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

wkoukious, sorry I don't know the answer to your question; but, is that a guaranteed 3% COLA every year? If so, that is pretty nice. Also, maybe I missed it; but, how old are you (may be a factor in your decision)?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Does that include survivor's benefits? Are you married? What other assets/pensions do you and your spouse have? Social Security? If the above includes survivor's benefits at 100% or 75%, and your pension income is not more than, say, 60% of your total projected income, I'd feel comfortable buying it....but I wouldn't want to have me and my spouse depending entirely on this pension, and then when you pass on they get nothing. Depends on your overall portfolio and what % this pension represents of your other cash flow sources.
Curious why it would matter if their pension income is more than ~60% of their total projected income?
Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Very good points all of them. You can see why I'm unsure what to do. It's a Illinois Firefighter pension so it is within control of a corrupt, bankrupt state. That is another issue entirely.
With businesses and people of means leaving in droves, betting on Illinois is not prudent either.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very good points all of them. You can see why I'm unsure what to do. It's a Illinois Firefighter pension so it is within control of a corrupt, bankrupt state. That is another issue entirely.
With businesses and people of means leaving in droves, betting on Illinois is not prudent either.

Do you know the funding ratio of your specific pension plan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

54% funded.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
54% funded.

Ew....That is shaky... "Experts" say a sound pension system is 80% funded... I dumped most of my extra cash into buying 4 service years which was about $100,000. But our system is close to 90%. Personally I would not have put my money in if it was 54%. I feel for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk