Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Satisfied Money user from Version 1 through 16 (I think I am one behind now). Usually upgrade every other year or so but use the most basic version (usually $19.99 or so). I track several Bank, Credit Cards and Credit Union accounts along with a ungodly amount of Certificates of Deposit and I usually just do it manually. It is much simpler to just open the program and the website on the same monitor and switch between the accounts to update. I have used Quicken some time ago and IMO either one will do the job as will Excel (although it is much simpler to "look back" in either Quicken or Money). You may want to do as Nords said i.e, find the one you like as moving data, at a later date, between different programs becomes next to impossible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm another 16-year Quicken hostage, with over 130,000 transactions dating back to 1992.

Downloading is overrated. It takes me less time to switch back & forth from my credit union's website to Quicken while reconciling my checkbook register than it does to fiddle with the download settings. Presumably Quicken et al can download checkbook data without errors these days, but that's certainly not the case for brokerage statements and for importing tax data into TurboTax. So don't expect that downloading will make your life easier or more enjoyable.

My advice would be to devote about $200 to trying every financial-management program you can get your hands on-- Quicken, Money, and shareware. Decide which user interface you like before you become assimilated. Because after that, resistance to upgrades is futile.

I have never had a problem downloading from a brokerage account. The only problem I have is that I can't download from our bank checking account--it only downloads to Money, but I will never use Money.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I used Quicken for years but when I acquired a smartphone with all the Microsoft this and that's, one thing offered was Microsoft Money for the smarthone {sorta MM-lite, VERY lite}. Thus, I converted to MM and continue to use it. Here's the two cents of someone who has used both extensively:

The MM for smartphone sucks and isn't helpful.

Quicken's interface was more pleasing to me by far.

Converting from one to the other is a bbbeeaaattcchh. Pick one and live with it. I would prefer to go back to Quicken but no way do I do that again. There is supposedly a conversion platform built into MM but the info did not transfer properly. Trying to get all the tax lots in place if you have been DCA'ing is

Upgrades are often times but not always available for free in certain years when I buy my TaxCut software. Those are the years I upgrade. I do not bother in other years and IMHO, if you never upgrade you can still track your money just fine. I haven't noticed an important add on in the 15+ years of using org software except for the auto price updates of securities that was implemented years ago {I don't download. That is a feature that also wasn't out there when I started. I like dinking around with numbers so why would I allow a machine to do it for me?!?! }
Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #24

I've used quicken since 1992 and I'm currently using the 2004 version. I found that I prefer not to download transaction info. It doesn't take that long to enter the info manually and it affords much better control of my finances to actually look at each transaction as I enter it (Is this right? what did I buy what did my wife buy? etc etc) rather than doing it automatically- glancing at it - hum looks about right. and God knows whats actually in there.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I've used quicken since 1992 and I'm currently using the 2004 version. I found that I prefer not to download transaction info. It doesn't take that long to enter the info manually and it affords much better control of my finances to actually look at each transaction as I enter it (Is this right? what did I buy what did my wife buy? etc etc) rather than doing it automatically- glancing at it - hum looks about right. and God knows whats actually in there.
I do a hybrid approach. I have all of my regular monthly bills scheduled in the automatic bill thing -- for ones that I actually have automated I have Quicken enter them automatically, for ones that I need to pay manually I have Quicken set to remind me.

For irregular spending, like the grocery store, I enter the transaction myself. I then download my online transactions every few days; Quicken 2006 will try to match the downloaded transactions to the existing transactions in my register. When something doesn't match up, I can then investigate why. 99.9% of the time it all matches up and/or I can figure out what happened in a matter of a few seconds, but occasionally something serious is revealed as a result.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If you like the Mac version of Quicken, you'd love the PC version. The Mac version of Quicken is crappy, buggy crippleware compared to the PC version. And they charge you more for it while fixing fewer bugs and adding fewer features.

I use Quicken but I also keep up in Moneydance 2008. It's not as full-featured and is rough around the edges, but it shows potential and I hope by encouraging further development by licensing it, it can eventually be full featured and Quicken-compatible enough that I can give Intuit, its indifference to Mac users and intentional breaking of online features after three years the boot.
I've never used Quicken, I had heard form many sources that the Mac version was kinda the 'ugly step-sister', to the PC version (which isn't looked on too highly by many in the first place). The really frustrating part of that is that Bill Cambell, CEO of Intuit is on Apple's Board of Directors!

I'm not sure I have any need for one, I use excel when I want something, but I'll check out moneydance, thanks.

-ERD50