Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I understand a public money manager worrying about tracking error. But why should an individual investor become concerned about tracking error? Nobody can fire him, no clients can leave. IMO what counts for this person is absolute return over time.

Ha
The tracking error I'm thinking about is, for example, where one has a fair percentage tied up in an international fund when the US is doing better over many months. Many will find this something they would rather just ride out. I prefer to use a different approach but that is just me.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The tracking error I'm thinking about is, for example, where one has a fair percentage tied up in an international fund when the US is doing better over many months. Many will find this something they would rather just ride out. I prefer to use a different approach but that is just me.
Are you talking about me?

Yes, I am riding it out. In the past, when I threw in the towel on something was when it turned around. I hated that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Isn't this just unsuccessful market timing? Tracking error in my understanding is when a manager's investments depart from their benchmark. Positive departure is called good investing, negative departure is called tracking error.

Ha
Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Are you talking about me?

Yes, I am riding it out. In the past, when I threw in the towel on something was when it turned around. I hated that.
Clearly there are no guarantees in making a trade but also no guarantees in sticking with a position. Most asset classes eventually recover from relative declines as you have pointed out.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Isn't this just unsuccessful market timing? Tracking error in my understanding is when a manager's investments depart from their benchmark. Positive departure is called good investing, negative departure is called tracking error.

Ha
I think you are right. I should have said "I don't like relative losses" or some such statement. Probably a mild form of greed.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
I always thought the volatility measure 'Beta' was odd. For comparison purposes, it was the negative side I was concerned about - volatility to the upside - I'll take it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I always thought the volatility measure 'Beta' was odd. For comparison purposes, it was the negative side I was concerned about - volatility to the upside - I'll take it!
That is an interesting thing about many of the "PE10 switching strategy" runs Pfau did. The various timing strategies sometimes had higher std deviation than the fixed 50-50 allocations (uh, oh), but considerably lower downside volatility (the Sortino index measure downside volatility only) Hurray! Heck, >upside< volatility is no problem at all.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

All right! I like strategies that do not lock me out of the bubbles but let me ride them up, like the dotcoms in 1997-2000 and the financial one in 2002-2006.

Oh wait. Does looking at PE work like that?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-25-2015, 03:34 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the basic idea. My market timing skills are even worse than my stock picking skills, so an approach like that could be really useful.

My problem is, there are really no other asset classes I would like to buy at the moment. After all, when you sell stocks, you need to put the money somewhere. I have already increased my cash position and will use part of it to buy more stocks if and when the market crashes the next time. Also, my target asset allocation required me to buy more bonds, which I grudginly did in April. Of course they dropped like a stone immediately.

With the way governments all over the globe have f***ed up the markets for fixed income, I'm not comfortable overweighting bonds. I guess that leaves precious metals, which I do not believe in as an investment, and real estate, which I already have more than enough exposure to.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #110

Triggered Today

If you look at the document in the original post, it gives an example of using PE 10 points of 24 and 15, with a trailing percent of 6. The procedure outlined was to check on the first of every month.

Well, we got past 24 back in November of 2013, and it ratcheted up, getting as high as 27 on February 1st 2015. So 94% of that is 25.38. September 1 is the first first of the month that it's below 25.36, so we have a trigger!

This is a very rare event, since there have been only 4 other sell triggers based on that outlined methodology since 1881.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If you look at the document in the original post, it gives an example of using PE 10 points of 24 and 15, with a trailing percent of 6. The procedure outlined was to check on the first of every month.

Well, we got past 24 back in November of 2013, and it ratcheted up, getting as high as 27 on February 1st 2015. So 94% of that is 25.38. September 1 is the first first of the month that it's below 25.36, so we have a trigger!

This is a very rare event, since there have been only 4 other sell triggers based on that outlined methodology since 1881.
The amount of decline in the stock market that this simple, yet requiring unbelievable patience, market timing system has avoided is undeniable. the times it stayed out of stocks for the 1907 panic, the great depression, the 1973 oil collapse and the 2000 -2009 market collapse. Issue would be this is only 4 occasions and perhaps not statistically significant, however the design of the indicator is beautiful.

This is indicating that we should probably expect a decline in the realm of those which means somewhere between 45 and 89 percent. But the level of patience required to pay attention to the signal when human nature will be urging against that means few, very few will do anything with this.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
This is indicating that we should probably expect a decline in the realm of those which means somewhere between 45 and 89 percent. But the level of patience required to pay attention to the signal when human nature will be urging against that means few, very few will do anything with this.
This reminds me of people who say that low carb eating to lose weight will not work because people will not stick with it. It will and does work, I would guess almost always, but of course one does have to use it.

I am not sure this stock indicator for market timing is quite as certain as low carb dieting for weight loss, but it will depend on its merits, not whether or not it is psychologically easy to follow. Like staying slim, successful investing requires discipline. This indicator does combine two powerful factors, valuations and momentum.

Ha
Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #113

Here is a page that talks about not jumping out, but rather weighting less, when the PE 10 is unfavorable. The follow-on article talks about an apparently unique idea of using the square of the Sharpe ratio to adjust asset allocation weightings.

Quote:
The Shiller P/E ratio helps determine the expected forward-looking return of an investment or index, not if you should be in or out of the markets. Another measurement is the forward-looking P/E ratio. It uses projected earnings for the next 12 months.

The projected P/E ratio can help us decide where to invest. If one index’s projected P/E ratio implies it is relatively cheap and another that it is relatively expensive, overweighting the inexpensive index should boost investment returns.
Using Dynamic Asset Allocation to Boost Returns | Marotta On Money
Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #114
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, we have a trigger. Would someone like to explain what would be expected and over what sort of time frame?
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
OK, we have a trigger. Would someone like to explain what would be expected and over what sort of time frame?
That will be the easier part. Finding the right trigger to get back in will be tough.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

If I manage to sell high, the rest is easy. To buy back, I do not have to find the bottom. Being able to buy back at a lower price than I sold is enough.

In other words, if my market timing results in a better return than buy-and-hold, I am happy with that.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Given that there have been 4 earlier sell triggers in the last 134 years, you can pretty much count on being out of the market for quite a while. In the past, the amount of time out of the market was shorter than being in, but remember, we're looking at 134 years. In the image, the shaded is the time when bought into the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
That will be the easier part. Finding the right trigger to get back in will be tough.
I think the selling part is the hard part, because this scheme requires you to sell after a big down draft. It shouldn't be hard to buy back. You wait for the PE 10 to go below 15, then you go into a "track the lowest" mode. So if it goes down, you replace the "15" with the lower value. If it ever goes 6% higher than it's lowest, you buy. So, say your months went 15, 14, 13, 12, 12.5. Your lowest was 12, so you'd need 1.06 * 12 = 12.72 to get back in. 12.5 is not there yet. Then it goes down to 11, that becomes your lowest, so now you'd need 11.54 to get a buy signal. Say it goes to 12, that's your buy signal. You're back in, and all you do now is wait to see 24 again. The problem with this scheme is that most of us won't live long enough to do anything but this trade, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I manage to sell high, the rest is easy. To buy back, I do not have to find the bottom. Being able to buy back at a lower price than I sold is enough.

In other words, if my market timing results in a better return than buy-and-hold, I am happy with that.
That's wise. Greed is what gets most of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shillerpe.jpg (33.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Given that there have been 4 earlier sell triggers in the last 134 years, you can pretty much count on being out of the market for quite a while. In the past, the amount of time out of the market was shorter than being in, but remember, we're looking at 134 years. In the image, the shaded is the time when bought into the market.

I think the selling part is the hard part, because this scheme requires you to sell after a big down draft. It shouldn't be hard to buy back. You wait for the PE 10 to go below 15, then you go into a "track the lowest" mode. So if it goes down, you replace the "15" with the lower value. If it ever goes 6% higher than it's lowest, you buy. So, say your months went 15, 14, 13, 12, 12.5. Your lowest was 12, so you'd need 1.06 * 12 = 12.72 to get back in. 12.5 is not there yet. Then it goes down to 11, that becomes your lowest, so now you'd need 11.54 to get a buy signal. Say it goes to 12, that's your buy signal. You're back in, and all you do now is wait to see 24 again. The problem with this scheme is that most of us won't live long enough to do anything but this trade, LOL!

That's wise. Greed is what gets most of us.

Oh yeah, that's the fibonacci cluster algorithm.
Lolol
Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Oh yeah, that's the fibonacci cluster algorithm.
Lolol
Kinda sorta not that

Lookup trailing stop...that's the idea employed...maybe I didn't present a very good example.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Kinda sorta not that

Lookup trailing stop...that's the idea employed...maybe I didn't present a very good example.
I can index with most of the crowd.

If you go down through the steps and write them out in a way a dummy like me can execute the strategy, it could happen. This really goes to the heart of timing strategies. How does a typical investor pull it off? I know you can do it, but I can't. It requires time and watching unless you have a way to send me alerts and tell me what to do.