Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Using tax loss harvesting to fund Roth IRA?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Using tax loss harvesting to fund Roth IRA?

We bought a house earlier this year and don't have enough extra cash flow to fund two Roth IRAs.
What I'm considering is tax loss harvesting:
In our taxable account sell 10k worth of VTI with some short term loss (~9% so around $900)
Send two 5k checks to both Roths and buy something else there (let's say VEU) to avoid wash sale rules.

Do you think it's worth it? Any pitfalls you can see?
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One should TLH regardless.

One should fund Roth IRAs regardless if one has enough earnings to qualify. It doesn't matter if the money comes from a paycheck or from savings. In your case, you are transferring from a taxable account to a tax-free account. You should do this even if you do not have a loss.

In your case, the gotcha is that you should not invest for 30 days in substantially identical investments in the Roth IRAs. That means do not buy VTI nor VTSMX in the Roth IRAs after you sell for a loss in the taxable account. This would be a wash sale and the loss was not be deductible ever.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Is it really a wash sale if you buy it back in a Roth? How would that work? A wash sale means you keep the basis higher rather than take a loss, and use that higher basis when you later sell it again. In a Roth, the sale isn't a taxable event, so I don't see how a wash sale would apply. (edit: ) I see that you are saying that you could never take the loss, so it's even worse than a wash sale. If that's true, you should definitely avoid this. I just had never heard of this.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the loss is disallowed. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-08-05.pdf

You can search on Revenue ruling 2008-5. For example, you will also find this:
IRS shuts down wash sale evasion technique! - kitces.com | Nerd's Eye View

In any event, it is trivial to avoid the wash sale, so the OP should TLH and contribute to the Roth IRAs.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Absolutely move taxable money into the Roth. Tax free after that. Even if you have to sell with a small gain. With a loss, yes buy something slightly different to avoid the wash sale.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #6

What's "TLH?"
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
Administrator

Tax Loss Harvest
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Is it really a wash sale if you buy it back in a Roth? How would that work? A wash sale means you keep the basis higher rather than take a loss, and use that higher basis when you later sell it again. In a Roth, the sale isn't a taxable event, so I don't see how a wash sale would apply. (edit: ) I see that you are saying that you could never take the loss, so it's even worse than a wash sale. If that's true, you should definitely avoid this. I just had never heard of this.
Yes it really is a wash violation if you sell in a taxable account and buy back in an IRA 30 days before or after.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I should think that it would be pretty easy to find a fund or funds close enough to the holdings of Total Stock Market to hold your position, while being different enough to avoid scrutiny for a wash sale.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Approximating Total Stock M...pdf (64.9 KB, 8 views)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks to all who replied.
I decided that I can re-balance at the same time, so I sold VTI today and bought VEU, VOO and IJS.
New to me were warnings about using unsettled funds to buy securities, Regulation T and free ride.
I think I'm fine as long as I don't sell the new securities before the settlement.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thanks to all who replied.
I decided that I can re-balance at the same time, so I sold VTI today and bought VEU, VOO and IJS.
New to me were warnings about using unsettled funds to buy securities, Regulation T and free ride.
I think I'm fine as long as I don't sell the new securities before the settlement.

Yeah, you didn't have enough cash to buy the new stuff without the proceeds from your same-day sales. They will both settle in three business days after your transactions and you will again be in the clear.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote