value ,location and taxes on your home

2100 sq ft 1960 ranch, 3bd-3ba, remodeled throughout
Santa Rosa, CA (1 hr N of SF)
Market Value $750K
Prop Tax $2450 per year (Prop 13...bought in 1985)
HO Insurance $1100 per year

3 bed 2 bath colonial in Central NJ, 2000-ish sq ft
Market value maybe $400k
RE Taxes $6k (and rising 10% a year)
HO indurance $600, plus another $200 for umbrella.

Texas Hill Country (home of rattlesnakes, fire ants, scorpions, rednecks, longnecks…)

2,700 sf ranch on 5 acres (yeah, a very small ranch…) built in 1998
Market value ~ $300,000
Taxes - $4,700 (no city tax)
Insurance - $1,974 (no fire protection)

Two-story brick with walk out basement; rougly 3000 sq ft, counting walk out level; 25 years old. 1 1/2 acres. Eastern Iowa.

210,000 value
2,400 property taxes
875 insurance

setab

Prince George's County, MD

Home value $600,000. Most of the value is in the land, 4.28 acres. House is about 1500 square feet, 3 br/1ba, built in 1916. 3 outbuildings: 10x20 garage (dirt floor and needs a lot of work, probably DETRACTS from the value! 12x16 tin storage shed. Both of these date back to at least 1934, which is when my Grandma first came to this area, and they were there then. 24x40 garage I just had built last year. Neighbor's house, identical-sized lot but swampier is currently on the market for $599K. The house itself is probably a teardown special at this point. So I figure mine should be worth at least that.

Property taxes: $2800 (with homestead tax credit) Also, assessment doesn't show the new garage yet.
Homeowner's insurance: $795 per year

Helena said:
Property taxes are high in Texas because they are
the primary tax for schools.  Property tax reform
was passed this year, but will not go into effect
until next year.

Texas, like Florida, has no state income tax.

Washington looks better all the time - we have no state income tax either, but my property taxes still seem low compared to most of what I'm reading here.    We fund our state through sales taxes, which works out really well for us LBYM'ers. Everyone else pays when they buy their toys and cars and gadgets.

Near Salt Lake City

6000 sq. ft. 6 bedrooms, 3 full bath, 2 half bath. finished basement. 0.6 acres.
Assessed value for taxes--$750k
Taxes $5950
Insurance $ 1050/year
HOA $210/year

Spanky said:
Earthquake in SC? What's the deductible?
IIRC the deductible is 15% of house value (not land, just house). There's a faultline here--there was a bad quake in the late 1800s, and our house is brick. EQ insurance represents 1/3-1/2 of our bill. And there's hurricane and umbrella coverage, too. Plus I'm not sure if DH accounted for the return of "dividends" (this is Amica) when he gave me the number last night. Sorry--finance-wise, he deals with insurance and bill-paying; I just do the investing and thinking about the future.

boutros said:
Cincinnati suburbs
145000 value
1200 taxes
500 insurance

My stats almost exactly! How big is the house?

Seattle metro

Zillow: $983,300
Property taxes: $6,460
Home insur: $977

whats your home value: 2000 sq ft, assessed at $186,000 but would sell > 200,000
where are you located: Pittsburgh suburbs
whats your taxes: about $4800
cost of home insurance : $455

Houston suburbs
Planned community - 2500 sq. ft.
Value ~200,000
Taxes - $3750
Insurance - 1500
Sales tax - 8.25%

REWahoo! said:
The typical hazards.  The "no fire protection" comment refers to the fact we have no viable fire department in the area which really jacks up my HO rates.

You are brave!  For me, fire protection is the most important.

Do banks let you buy insurance w/o fire protection?  I guess your home is free and clear.

Sam said:
You are brave! For me, fire protection is the most important.

Never thought of it as particularly brave, just one of the joys of living out in the country. If you live in a rural setting chances are the only fire protection you have is a volunteer fire department, which is the case with us. I see them as useful to fight small brush fires and to put out the hot spots after your house burns to the ground ;)

Sam said:
Do banks let you buy insurance w/o fire protection?

Yes, but the rates are about double what we were paying when we lived in the city.

Sam said:
I guess your home is free and clear.

Clear, yes...but it darn sure wasn't free. ;)

REWahoo! said:
Never thought of it as particularly brave, just one of the joys of living out in the country.  If you live in a rural setting chances are the only fire protection you have is a volunteer fire department, which is the case with us.  I see them as useful to fight small brush fires and to put out the hot spots after your house burns to the ground ;)

Yes, but the rates are about double what we were paying when we lived in the city.

I totally misunderstood you. I thought you were not insured for fire. I understand now. What can I say, I'm slow.

Sam said:
Fire ants attack :LOL:

Yeah, well it's nice to have insurance coverage when you look out into the back yard and see something like this...

img_425732_0_0c5c2a4c2e083e84bd79a1f88cb4e26e.jpg

Prince George's County, MD ( DC suburbs)
3400 Sq Ft Colonial 6 yrs old
Assessed Value:444k
Market Value: 725k, 700k, 685k, 650k......skip it you get the idea!
Taxes: 6450
Insurance : 1100
We have fire protection, but this county requires central sprinkler systems on newer homes

Gambrills, MD [Anne Arundel County]

Duplex [3BR, 1 Bath]
Assessed Value: ~300K
Taxes: $2,000
Insurance: $700

- Alec

whats your home value - $750K, 4000 sq/ft custom home completed in 2006
where are you located - North Florida
whats your taxes  -        $12,000 (projected)
cost of home insurance - $1800 with 2 Million in Liability insurance

Back
Top Bottom