Join Early Retirement Today

Value of a Financial Advisor
Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Value of a Financial Advisor

Most of us are DYI folks so this will give you guys a heads up on the value that others place in their financial advisors~~~

Quote:
Wealthy investors are also divided over whether having a financial advisor actually makes any difference. While 15% of respondents said their advisor was a huge help during the downturn and 31% said their advisor was at least somewhat useful, the largest proportion of wealthy investors, 44%, said having an advisor didn’t help at all, while 11% said having an advisor hurt them.
“This should serve as a wake-up call in the financial advisory business,”
Many Wealthy Investors Doubt Advisors’ Worth - Financial Planning

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can not understand why anyone would use a financial planner unless it was one that was paid by the hour.

We just went to one that I found through NAPFA. We haven't met to go over the report but I know she likes simplicity and low cost mutual funds. She was please we had a lot with Vanguard, but she doesn't care as much for Fidelity.

My partner and I both received inheritences recently so we have to totally revamp everything. The FP takes some pressure of both of us. I want my partner to hear someone echoing the things I have been saying. Also, if something happens to me she will have someone to work with.

I am thinking of having a commision based FP look over our portfolio once it is set up and show my partner what s/he recommends and how much it would cost us if we had used that type of FP.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I am thinking of having a commision based FP look over our portfolio once it is set up and show my partner what s/he recommends and how much it would cost us if we had used that type of FP.
I'd be concerned this would create doubts as to which of the two your partner should listen to, especially if the commissioned FP was especially charismatic (aka a really good salesperson).
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
SO, you want to meet with a commission-based FP and waste his/her time with no intentions of using them anyways, just to impress your partner? Sounds like a barrel of fun...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #5

Good advisors are the ones which are in it for the people
the 44% of advisors who are in it for the money leave something to be desired IMO

I have also read reports where people with advisors are less likely to bail out at the bottom than DIY investors. That alone is worth the price if the advisor can prevent negative behavior.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
the 44% of advisors
And where did this number come from?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
It's a number of conjecture, much like the info in the article.......

Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wealthy investors are also divided over whether having a financial advisor actually makes any difference. While 15% of respondents said their advisor was a huge help during the downturn and 31% said their advisor was at least somewhat useful, the largest proportion of wealthy investors, 44%, said having an advisor didn’t help at all, while 11% said having an advisor hurt them.
“This should serve as a wake-up call in the financial advisory business,”
Why am I not surprised?

One of the most alarming "reality checks" of my adult life was when I realized that my own interests would be best served by learning about investing, instead of just leaning on an expert's advice.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why am I not surprised?

One of the most alarming "reality checks" of my adult life was when I realized that my own interests would be best served by learning about investing, instead of just leaning on an expert's advice.
That is good advice for all folks, but 75% or so would never commit to doing that.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
but 75% or so
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is good advice for all folks, but 75% or so would never commit to doing that.
91.8% of all statistics are made up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
What is the old adage? "There's lie, damn lies, and statistics"........

There's a lot of armchair quarterbacking that goes on here with regards on how to invest............

Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical. --Yogi Berra
Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
read the OP

Quote:
44%, said having an advisor didn’t help at all,
Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why am I not surprised?

Agreed it's cheaper and safer to DIY and learn
however there is a time element to that, and some people would prefer to either not learn new things, or get help.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I would agree that a FA for most everybody on this board... or the people who have found this board and learning... is a waste... most of the time...

Now, very few people know everything about investing, insurance, SS, estate planning and probably a few others.... but agood FA should know enough about each of these to help out someone who knows nothing..

Also, there are a lot of people out there that just don't have a clue... and will do nothing if someone does not prompt them to do it... my sister started her retirement investing from an advisor who roamed the halls and would get people to sign up for their retirement plans (they had options of which company would handle it).... their fees were not outrageous as there was a limit of 1.25%... but higher than most here would pay... I asked my sister about it a few years back and she said "heck, I would not have signed up if it were not for him"... so he earned his fee to get my sister off her butt and start investing...

One of the problems I do have with so called FA is that they are not... they are either mutual funds salesmen, insurance salesmen, or some other kind of salesman and only know their sales pitch.... they want to put you in their round hole no matter what shape you are in... and using a big hammer is acceptable if they can get you in there....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #17

No way would I trust an advisor with my money without learning enough to know if he/she was doing a good job. At that point they're redundant.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
No way would I trust an advisor with my money without learning enough to know if he/she was doing a good job. At that point they're redundant.
How do you define a good job?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One of the problems I do have with so called FA is that they are not... they are either mutual funds salesmen, insurance salesmen, or some other kind of salesman and only know their sales pitch.... they want to put you in their round hole no matter what shape you are in... and using a big hammer is acceptable if they can get you in there....
Agree 100%. Every insurance agent in my area holds themself out as a "financial planner". When I ask how they do "financial planning", it usually involves annuities and life insurance...........that's NOT financial planning at its core.........

Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #20

Quote:
How do you define a good job?
The market going up.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote