Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard 2014 TurboTax Downloads Available w Discounts
Old 12-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard 2014 TurboTax Downloads Available w Discounts

Maybe someone else posted and I missed it, but I just downloaded 2014 TT Deluxe for free! So I can start tweaking my year end taxable income. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Maybe someone else posted and I missed it, but I just downloaded 2014 TT Deluxe for free! So I can start tweaking my year end taxable income. Best of luck...
If you have capital gains or losses (Sch D), you now need their Premier version which is $10.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Grumble, grumble. I have a VG account ... but have been buying TT for years .... didn't know I could get it for "free"
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #4

Still not enough incentive to switch all my assets to VG to save $20 .
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
If you have capital gains or losses (Sch D), you now need their Premier version which is $10.
Correct for most intents and purposes. Based on the thread here a few days ago, evidently it's still there in form version, but you can't eFile it, so you have to print/mail in Sch D. That's a PITA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (455.3 KB, 17 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

So you can't e-file (with schedule D) but it is still part of the program and included in the interview portion and taken into account for tax calculations?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
So you can't e-file (with schedule D) but it is still part of the program and included in the interview portion and taken into account for tax calculations?
Delux includes in the forms mode the worksheet the capital gains worksheet that asks for all the information. The other thing delux apparently can't do is an import from other souces as you have to type the data in.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

While I normally use forms mode, to be able to import and efile is well worth the $10 to me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just looked online at Vanguard (w/o signing in) and it appears that Deluxe is free to Flagship and Asset Mgt Svcs clients, or $49.99 for all others. Premier is $9.99 for Flagship - $74.99 all others (referencing all desktop download versions - online version is less)

Edit: logged in for grins and it's still the same pricing as above (am Flagship and pricing is free, so don't know if other VG clients are free as well when signing in now).

I've downloaded the Deluxe version from Vanguard and started inputting data. It takes input for Capital Gains as long as they were not as a result of sales (it will tell you to upgrade to Premier for actual sales). This is allowable with the Basic and Deluxe Desktop versions (Schedule D is not required for gains earned w/o actual sales or losses). I posted this in the previous thread on this subject.

The Fed Deluxe version is not complete and won't be complete until 1/8/15 - ready for efile (update notice after getting available updates).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While I normally use forms mode, to be able to import and efile is well worth the $10 to me.
+1

When I used to maintain my house and car I always believed in buying the right tools for the job, and it is the same here, for me. I'm prepared to pay $10 to save inconveniences and work-arounds but I respect others' decisions to take a different approach.

Each to his own.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #11

Where can I download Turbotax on the Vanguard site? It prompts me to start inputting online and I want to download it to my laptop. Thanks.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Where can I download Turbotax on the Vanguard site? It prompts me to start inputting online and I want to download it to my laptop. Thanks.
When you go to the VG website and sign-in, you go to the TurboTax website through them with their link. IIRC - below the sign in/start your taxes online is the area where you select the Desktop download. It should price out at VG pricing if you went to the website through VG.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #13

Thanks fritz. I'll try that.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I found these tips posted on Bogleheads.org to be quite useful:

Downloading TurboTax - tips for an easy process
Linney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want the disc version or download Amazon has it for the same as or less than Vanguard if you aren't flagship. I take advantage of the %10 bonus they offer so it ends up basically paying for itself if you put $500 of your refund towards an Amazon gift card.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
I found these tips posted on Bogleheads.org to be quite useful:

Downloading TurboTax - tips for an easy process
The cynic in me says that Intuit purposely made navigating to the download so difficult so we'd give up and just buy a version at a higher price.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You guys just saved me some money!

I thought VG was online only. I don't like the online version.

Thank you!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Be really careful about the online version! Turbotax allows anyone who knows your name, address and SS# to pull up your tax return. This allows them to know your real sources of income and more easily file a phony return the next year or amended return that doesn't get flagged.

I found this out the reverse way -- somebody last spring filed a phony return for me using turbotax online, knowing only my name/address/SS#. It got flagged by the IRS because it didn't match up with my income sources. I then went to Turbotax to do my actual return and when I tried to sign up it said I already had an account under that SS#. I clicked on "forgot login" and it only asked name/address/SS# and let me in. I then had full access to that return. If they were the real me and I was the criminal, I now can see and amend the return.

Don't trust putting your data on "the cloud"!
Kabekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Don't trust putting your data on "the cloud"!
Do you think that Bureau 121 has access to Cloud Data?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

OK totally strange. I went to download the TT via the Vanguard website but could not get the discount. Could not figure out what is wrong. My husband discovered we were flagged at Voyager customers, not Flagship, despite having way more than required to qualify. Apparently you have to ask them to submit you for approval. This seems lame to me on Vanguard's part. My husband just called them and they are submitting us - but it takes anywhere from 2 - 7 business days. This is the first time I have been disappointed in Vanguard.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote