Vanguard

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I'm considering moving IRAs to Vanguard.

What is the procedure?

Set up account?
Tell them to transfer?
Suggestions as to accounts for IRA and Roth for withdrawal from IRA and letting Roth just sit there for now?

You can do everything online if you wish.

Go to https://personal.vanguard.com/us/home?fromPage=portal, click on the "open an account" link in the top right corner of the page. Answer a few questions (what type of IRA do you want to open, where is the money now, how do you want to invest the money in your new IRA, etc...). This will generate a form. Print it, sign it, mail it and Vanguard will take care of the rest. I just rolled over an IRA to Vanguard, it was that easy.

I'm working with Vanguard right now trying to transfer assets from ML. Very intelligent and helpful

I don't have a printer. Where can I go to print a form?

Give them a call first, Khan--they can snail-mail hard copy to you to sign, I'm sure.

Buy a printer from amazon.com and have it shipped to you. Don't forget to buy paper, envelopes, stamps, and a pen to write with as well.

I'll call tomorrow.
You might want to make a photocopy of the application and account statements you are transferring. This is very helpful if some of the paperwork gets mislaid at Vanguard.

So buy an all-in-one printer that makes photocopies, scans, and prints.

I did this with telephone and snailmail because I'm old-fashioned. It worked fine.
I was transferring more than $250k from a 401k and immediately became one of their "more desirable" clients, which was nice too (I could consistently get the same person on the phone if I wanted).

Was just in a a 3-way call with Dreyfus & Vanguard. Will be getting snail mail papers to complete and mail. Need to dig out statements.

I've had 2, can't make either one work.

I don't like the all in one machines... got a laser printer since they can sit for a long time and still work... and got it cheap when someone here posted about it... $100 for the B&W and IIRC about $150 for a color one.. still have both..

Speak of the devil... here is one for $69....

http://www.staples.com/Brother-Remanufactured-HL-2170W-Laser-Printer/product-nr_770702?cmArea=SEARCH

Here is one for $49....

http://www.staples.com/Brother-Refurbished-HL-2140-Laser-Printer/product-nr_792930?cmArea=SEARCH

Khan,
Several months ago I did a similar thing and moved several Roth IRA's to Vanguard. Vanguard was great and sent me paperwork in the mail to sign and return for each of the transactions. One of the accounts (I think it was with Domini) required a Medallion guarantee which I was able to obtain from my credit union. My process took several weeks overall and went very smoothly. so far I'm likikng Vanguard and especially having all my Roth in one place. I may move a few non-IRA accounts over there eventually.

I have an older version of this printer. I must have run 10,000 pages through it, between my old job and three kids cranking out high school papers. Two toner cartridges over all that time. Ridiculously cheap to own and operate; powers down to use minimal juice when idle a few minutes; Toner costs about what a set of inkjet cartridges (or a new printer!) would, but does thousands of pages.

I use it mostly to print brokerage statements and airline boarding passes. :greetings10:

I have the Brother HL 5240. In 25 years I have had one Epson dot-matrix printer, one HP Laser, and now this Brother. I love it; and I print a lot so I can lie on the couch to read articles rather than sitting and staring at my screen.

Ha

How are you transfering this fund? If the ira fund is down and you are transferring to vanguard that is high. You might lose some money. Do you have a strategy? Just curious. My mil is in the same predicament as yours.

Next thing you know, Khan will say she has 2 Brother printers.

When someone close to me rolled over his 401K to a Vanguard IRA, he called Vanguard and they were extremely helpful and respectful, and explained everything very simply and clearly. He got a phone number that allowed him to directly call the individual at Vanguard who was handling things for him, so that he could deal with the same person at Vanguard when he called back. His Vanguard guy even set up several 3-way phone calls with the two of them and the company 401K folks, to make sure everyone was on the same page and the rollover went smoothly. It did.

In the process of transfering DWs IRA to Vanguard. Printer info is also helpful to me.

Thanks!

Free to canoe

I did a load of transfers to Vgd a few years ago. If you "belong" to their flagship category (I forget how much ono deposit that takes) you get a personal mid-level manager or executive assistant type assistant to you.

She was amazing -- followed every detail, called the transferring bank and brokers and never let up for a minute. Very slick, no problems.

I did a load of transfers to Vgd a few years ago. If you "belong" to their flagship category (I forget how much ono deposit that takes) you get a personal mid-level manager or executive assistant type assistant to you.

She was amazing -- followed every detail, called the transferring bank and brokers and never let up for a minute. Very slick, no problems.
+1

This was my experience also.

I am not quite flagship material yet and when I called to roll over my IRA, they politely directed me to the website to do it myself...

Back
Top Bottom