Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Adding More Target Retirement Funds
Old 03-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard Adding More Target Retirement Funds

Vanguard to launch five new Target Retirement Funds
Existing funds' asset allocations to be modified

Vanguard has filed a registration statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to add five new funds to its Target Retirement Fund series. In addition, equity allocations for the six existing Target Retirement Funds will be modified.

The new funds will feature target retirement dates at ten-year intervals—2010, 2020, 2030, 2040, and 2050—complementing the dates of the existing funds.

Changes to existing Target Retirement Funds' asset allocations

In addition to introducing the new funds, Vanguard will change the asset allocations of the existing Target Retirement Funds as follows:

* The funds' equity allocation paths will be modified to provide a somewhat greater exposure to equities over a longer period of time. The result will be an increase of roughly 10 to 20 percentage points per fund, depending on the target retirement date.

* Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund will be added to each of the funds (representing roughly 1% to 2.5% of assets), further diversifying their exposure to international markets.

* Vanguard European Stock Index Fund and Pacific Stock Index Fund will be added to Target Retirement 2005 Fund and Target Retirement Income Fund. The funds will have international exposures of roughly 10% and 6%, respectively.

"While the changes in the portfolio construction will result in modestly higher risk profiles for the funds, we believe that shareholders will benefit from broader equity diversification and higher return potential," Mr. Brennan said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I think this is a good move - the new funds allow a more targeted Target Retirement choice, and the increased stock/international diversification means I won't have to do as much tweaking around the edges for an asset allocation that I'm comfortable with ...
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vanguard Adding More Target Retirement Funds
Old 03-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I frickin hate it when they do this.

I bought those funds to get the asset mixes I wanted, and the transition periods I wanted. Changing them completely destroys that planning.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

While I had avoided those funds because they lacked those market segments.

What I want from a target retirement fund is a diversified portfolio where the fund manager allocates investments based on opportunity and risk.* Auto pilot needs to adjust it's course as the seas ahead change.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #4

I'm waiting for the August 1, 2006 9:34 AM target retirement fund.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Fair enough. I guess thems the pitfalls of crafting an asset allocation that includes autopilot funds. Sometimes the autpilot picks a different route and destination.

As discussed in another thread, I bought target retirement 2045 to get a higher asset allocation to equities today, and have that allocation hit a decent but not too heavy bond allocation by the time my wife retires and then when we reach social security age.

So much for that plan :P

I'm still thinking that a bill of goods sold should remain the same bill of goods. If they want something else, come up with another fund family like lifestrategy, target retirement and aggressive retirement. Guess that'd dilute the "pure and simple" appeal to the non-investor.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Actively managed funds also change cours, what you have now may be different than the fund you purchased.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It does seem stupid for them to change the risk profile of these funds. *After all, the whole idea of these funds is to manage risk... people who just want equities can buy an index fund. * Increasing the risk profile is tantamount to saying "we didn't know what we were doing before so you missed out on some gains in the past because we were too conservative".

Changing the risk profile significantly midstream surely nullifies the "set it and forget it" principle, which is what draws many people to these funds. *Now people will have to scrutinize the prospectuses every year to see what the management plan is this time.

free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Nords and I swapped a few notes last week about complacency. Things are getting good and they've been good for a while and people are starting to lax up a bit.

Apparently vanguards customers want to buy more exciting stuff, hence the changes, and existing customers be damned.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #9

So sell 2045 and buy 2035 or something

I like the moves. It puts Vanguard's risk/return characteristics more in line with what other fund companies' target retirement-type funds have given the same time horizon.

I also like the added emerging markets allocation.

My cynical side says they are chasing past performance a bit, though. Adding more international to 2005? Adding em. mkts? Increasing stock allocation after a multi-year bull market? Hmmm...
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You paying the short term capital gains tax for me? At a quick glance, it'd be roughly $14,299 if I sold tomorrow.

I think i'll suck it up.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #11

No. Not unless you send me those Wellington Admiral shares.

I figured you had them in your tax deferred accounts.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
While I had avoided those funds because they lacked those market segments.

What I want from a target retirement fund is a diversified portfolio where the fund manager allocates investments based on opportunity and risk. Auto pilot needs to adjust it's course as the seas ahead change.
One VG fund I like, have my Roth IRA in it, is VAAPX, the VG Asset Allocation Fund. Maybe not as diversified as you may be looking for but a good track record and lower volitility than a TSM index.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #13

Oh sure, just when I'm ready to open a Vanguard account they go and change things. (sigh)

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Oh sure, just when I'm ready to open a Vanguard account they go and change things. (sigh)
I think I've fixed that problem. I'll never open a Vanguard account.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

Any particular reason?

setab
Old 03-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
Any particular reason?
It's old news and nothing juicy anymore, but I was scared off by the Dee Dee Havens complaint. The comments about shredding IRA beneficiary agreements was particularly alarming.

When I realized that Vanguard wasn't handling the customer demand very well I found no reason to move there. I can only imagine trying to correct a Roth IRA conversion snafu with Vanguard, but Fidelity has made it painless. (They even retroactively removed a Roth contribution when I got a few bucks ahead of myself.) It's easier to get the freebies if you consolidate accounts at one place, too, so we chose Fidelity.

Since the Havens complaint was settled (I'm presuming it was settled, but I don't know for sure) I haven't heard anything about Vanguard's pursuit of the J.D. Powers Customer Satisfaction or Baldridge awards, so I'm guessing that they still care as much about their customers today as they did two years ago.

Fidelity's great for a DIY investor-- low rates, robust website, they leave me alone-- but it's not for everyone. The whole Ned/Abby Johnson succession spat is a distracting three-ring circus, as is their slavering pursuit of 401(k) fees. They absolutely refuse to be custodians for a minor's IRA, too, which might drive us over to T. Rowe Price for a few years. But the kid'll be back as soon as we can consolidate her account with ours under one happy household.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nords,

Thanks for the Havens Complaint link! This is Vanguard? I had heard that their customer service was being mistreated and was low in morale, but this is new data. I have been recommending Vanguard especially for their automatic RMD calculations. The survivorship thing chills me.

So Fidelity is more reliable in this capacity? I may have to change horses here soon, Slim. I, too, am totally do-it-yourself, but I can't do it after I cross the bar, as the old hymn says.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I hear the service is better with the voyager and flagship accounts, but I havent really had anything go wrong, just basic questions. That nothings gone wrong in about 7 years with a 401k rollover to an IRA, regular and joint accounts, Roths and so forth is pretty ok. Their web site has some weirdities every now and then but nothing fatal.

The real test of a company though is how long between major #$^%# ups and how well they handle them when they happen. My insurance company is testing these grounds by screwing up everything I've gotten from them over the last six months and meandering through fixes.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #19

I read through most of the Dee Dee Haven complaint. Doesn't seem too bad. Ms. Haven obviously has a vendetta against Vanguard for things other than those she listed in the complaint. Their treatment of her sexual harrassment claim for one. Ms. Haven probably put the worst-possible spin on all of the "facts" she presented.

What does the complaint tell us? Vanguard made errors in processing important transactions. Most errors were eventually fixed. Occasionally errors were blamed on clients when, in fact, Vanguard was at fault. Vanguard provides better, more reliable and personalized service to its High Net Worth clients (Voyager and Flagship) with assets under management of $250,000 or greater. Some high net worth clients were internally identified as targets for marketing of Vanguard products. Vanguard marketed towards these targets.

Assuming all facts as stated in the Haven complaint are true, it doesn't seem that much different from what I expect happens at most other companies (fidelity included). They are acting like a business.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I appreciate all the candid responses. It helps me make a more informed decision.

setab

Tags
vanguard