Vanguard Consolidated View

sarahsays

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone use Vanguard's Consolidated View program to view all of their accounts (including outside investments) on Vanguard's page?

I was interested in it, but when I read the privacy policy it has all this legalese and mentions giving access to CashEdge, which is a company I'm not familiar with.

Anyone know anything about it? Do you like the program?

I use it to link all my outside accounts (Fidelity, Mutual of America (ugg) and Iowa 529). However, like you, I am slightly uneasy with the setup (they have all my passwords and user names) . However, I have elected to trust Vanguard that it is being done correctly.

Maybe I an naive?

Solution: have all your accounts with Vanguard.

A quick Google search for Cash Edge turned up this:

"CashEdge® provides innovative, online financial applications for banks, credit unions and wealth management firms. CashEdge solutions include end-to-end online account opening and funding, funds transfer, and data consolidation."

Looks like Vanguard uses Cash Edge to link the data from other accounts when you use their Consolidated View program.

I do use Vanguard's Consolidated View program but I am not comfortable giving out my account numbers and passwords. I chose to manually input my non-Vanguard managed assets and update the information quarterly. It works for me.

Haha. Yes, but unfortunately my 401k is with Fidelity.

As is my 401a - fortunately with a few Spartan funds to choose from:).
I too manually enter my data and use the consolidated view

DD

Like REWahoo, I like and use the consolidated view but I input all outside accounts manually. I found this to be a minor issue if you have a reosanable number of outside accounts.

CashEdge isn't some fly by night operation. They are one of the two largest providers of "screen scraping" technology used in financial reporting.

CashEdge isn't some fly by night operation. They are one of the two largest providers of "screen scraping" technology used in financial reporting.

That may be true, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with any company having access to all of my logins and passwords for all of my financial accounts.

That may be true, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with any company having access to all of my logins and passwords for all of my financial accounts.

Well, that's up to you. You did say that you had never heard of them and I simply wanted you to know that just about every aggregation service uses them.

That's it.

I was a bit hestitant to include passwords but I find the Vanguard consolidated view to be better than the Schwab or Fidelity version. So I use it, and just hope it doesn't get hacked.

Any company, no matter how good, can have its security compromised by a disgruntled or incompetent employee, a software bug, or a skilled hacker. Maybe it will never be a problem for you, but I'm a software engineer and would never put all my key accounts and passwords in one place. My consolidated view is at home, in my own spreadsheet. :)

headingout - luddites unite! I'm with you. I know enough about technology to know the weak link is the human one. All about risk management.....

We have been using the consloidated view for 2 years. Most of our accounts are with Vanguard except for 401k's and two small annuity type accounts. It has gotten better over the 2 years with added features showing pecentage of holdings, hypotheticals and more. It now does a better job with outside accounts. It has been a tremendous tool for us, particularly during this downturn, allowing us to keep a steady eye our investments. We have had no problems with security.

I too like the VG consolidated view but choose to enter my outside accounts manually. Since I only have one it's not a big deal. However, since your not entering transactions but just the number of shares, it's not that terrible a process.
Good luck.
Larry

I too like the VG consolidated view but choose to enter my outside accounts manually. Since I only have one it's not a big deal. However, since your not entering transactions but just the number of shares, it's not that terrible a process.

Could any of you please shed some light for me about the VG consolidated view and what kind of benefits you get from it? Is this anything similar to M* X-Ray feature?
Also, if you don't enter each transaction, only the number of shares, how accurate the whole thing is?
I'm also pro-manual person vs. giving my passwords, but I wonder whether it's worth the hassle in the first place. We've got RothIRA accounts and one taxable fund with VG, but never paid attention to the Consolidated View. Is this option offered somewhere on our account page after I log in?

Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom