Vanguard deal on Turbo Tax 2013 now available

Amazon doesn't cost any gas money or wear and tear on your car or require you to stand in lines.

I'm not a big shopper and really did not enjoy the Costco experience. I was frustrated by the need to buy more to save as Costco seems to push this model. But for a big family maybe it works out well.
Costco is online, right?

But I went with Amazon.

Maybe Costco has progressed to compete with Amazon online.

My experiences were a few years back and to be honest we have an old, drafty warehouse store here that they work out of. I've seen a photo of a new store that actually looked modern with decent lighting. I don't want to offend anyone who likes Costco, just didn't work for us.

Maybe Costco has progressed to compete with Amazon online.

My experiences were a few years back and to be honest we have an old, drafty warehouse store here that they work out of. I've seen a photo of a new store that actually looked modern with decent lighting. I don't want to offend anyone who likes Costco, just didn't work for us.
You can shop online. The software would be delivered in a box. Don't have to go into the warehouse. But you're not a member, I think, so you'd have to go for a membership, and that doesn't make sense at this point.

I have 2013 Turbotax Home and Business now, and that was quick. Costco does not have a download option, so one more reason to go with Amazon.

One glitch--evidently credit card companies are on heightened awareness. So I got a cryptic message from Amex after using the card for this purchase. Amazon has no idea why, so another shoe will drop on this "easy" purchase!

At least I can get started on the 3 individual taxes and business forms I need to do this year.

Read carefully the 'free' offering of TurboTax through Vanguard. It certainty won't be free for me because I need a State return. It looks like it is free if you use a 1040EZ Fed only.

It may be that your assets at Vanguard are much greater than mine but if that is the case a 1040EZ is not likely your return of choice.

I'm confused. VG is no discount compared to Amazon for downloading TT for both federal and state with efile. Both are $49.99 for non-flagship clients. Moreover, as stated in a post above, apply your refund to an Amazon gift card and Amazon will add an extra 10% (i.e., $500 refund becomes $550). Seems to me Amazon is a better deal when applying a fed refund to a gift card, or even same deal without it.

Yet again for clarification...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 30
Has anyone here who's a Vanguard Flagship client tried to purchase the desktop download (not online) version of TurboTax Premier via the Vanguard site?

By following the link from my Vanguard account, the site initially shows the $9.99 price for flagship clients, but then when I click on "buy now" it brings up a price of $89.99, the non-discounted list price. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Last time I looked, Costco and Amazon had the same price, and Amazon offered free shipping.
Last year Costco had a $10 rebate on Turbotax at some time in the spring. That's when we bought it. I was kind of hoping to see that again.

Has anyone here who's a Vanguard Flagship client tried to purchase the desktop download (not online) version of TurboTax Premier via the Vanguard site?

By following the link from my Vanguard account, the site initially shows the $9.99 price for flagship clients, but then when I click on "buy now" it brings up a price of $89.99, the non-discounted list price. :facepalm:

Are you logged in? This is what I got after clicking "buy now":

Attachments

• TTax.JPG
    TTax.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 24
I find it amusing that so many people are anxious to get a copy of TurboTax as soon as they can.

Those of us who expect to be paying Uncle Sam instead of getting a refund are very happy to wait another two or three months.

I find it amusing that so many people are anxious to get a copy of TurboTax as soon as they can.

Those of us who expect to be paying Uncle Sam instead of getting a refund are very happy to wait another two or three months.
Remember, many of us who are retired are trying to manage our 2013 income for tax and other reasons. We need the software prior to 1/1/14 to do that.

Thanks REWahoo, I was logged in at the time, but I checked again just now and this time it came up with the correct price, as shown in your screenshot. Maybe I ran into some kind of glitch earlier? FWIW, when I followed the link from my VG account earlier, a popup appeared asking me to enroll in some Turbotax thingamajig, and this time it didn't appear. What-ever. :)

Remember, many of us who are retired are trying to manage our 2013 income for tax and other reasons. We need the software prior to 1/1/14 to do that.

Precisely.

Looks like one still has to pay $20 for State e-filing if using the Desktop (download) version? Do you all pay it or will TT allow you to print the fully filled out State Return? This would be my first time with TT.

We tend to wait until Feb/March because we really don't have the final numbers from our brokerage companies until then. We download the data from the brokerage, so we have to wait until we know it's "good".

In the meantime, I'm fairly confident in my spreadsheets for at least high level decisions.

Don't know if it is true - but I was told this week by a Costco employee if I buy TurboTax at Costco and it goes on sale after the first of the year, I can bring in the receipt and they'll give me the difference.

Kindest regards.

TT is in the Costco coupon book that starts 1/2, $10 off.

Back
Top Bottom