Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Dividend Growth Re-Opened
Old 08-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vanguard Dividend Growth Re-Opened

The fund re-opened at the beginning of the month after being closed for three years. Did anyone else establish a position?

teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

that's interesting. It has really performed well this year. Better than VTSMX by a couple %. I would think that would be a time to limit new entrants & "hot" money

Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What's the ticker?
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Vdigx
Quote:
Originally Posted by erd50 View Post
what's the ticker?

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What's the ticker?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vanguard+Dividend+Growth+Fund

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, I know how to find a ticker.

My point was that with so many funds, and the various classes of the same fund, why doesn't the OP just provide the specific, unique ticker, and it wasn't clear if that was the exact formal name of the fund, it could have been descriptive? Why ask others to do this, and maybe come up with a couple tickers, and then have to ask which one?

Maybe this should be in the 'pet peeve' thread? If you ask something, provide the info, don't expect others to search for you?

-ERD50
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Yes, I know how to find a ticker.

My point was that with so many funds, and the various classes of the same fund, why doesn't the OP just provide the specific, unique ticker, and it wasn't clear if that was the exact formal name of the fund, it could have been descriptive? Why ask others to do this, and maybe come up with a couple tickers, and then have to ask which one?

Maybe this should be in the 'pet peeve' thread? If you ask something, provide the info, don't expect others to search for you?

-ERD50
OMG, in other threads, people complain when people use tickers rather than fund names. There are no additional share classes of this fund, so it should have been obvious.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
The fund re-opened at the beginning of the month after being closed for three years. Did anyone else establish a position?
VDIGX
Say the name, Vanguard Dividend Growth.

I have not opened a position, but may.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OMG, in other threads, people complain when people use tickers rather than fund names. ...
Simple solution, just do both if it isn't a very common one, like SPY, BND, etc (and by 'etc', I don't mean Ethereum Classic USD (ETC-USD) ). And this one being closed, probably isn't common to most of us.

And I also assume OMG is not OmiseGo USD (OMG-USD) .

Quote:
... There are no additional share classes of this fund, so it should have been obvious.
It would only be obvious after a search!

OK, I'll call it a pet peeve, but c'mon, you are looking for info, so why not make it easy for people, you'll likely get more/better responses that way. I'm just trying to be helpful.

And no, no position and likely never will. I'm not a fan of sectors, I want as much diversification as I can reasonably get.

-ERD50
Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't see why you even needed a ticker to begin with.

Vanguard Dividend Growth.... it's that simple.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Simple solution, just do both if it isn't a very common one, like SPY, BND, etc (and by 'etc', I don't mean Ethereum Classic USD (ETC-USD) ). And this one being closed, probably isn't common to most of us.

And I also assume OMG is not OmiseGo USD (OMG-USD) .

It would only be obvious after a search!

OK, I'll call it a pet peeve, but c'mon, you are looking for info, so why not make it easy for people, you'll likely get more/better responses that way. I'm just trying to be helpful.

And no, no position and likely never will. I'm not a fan of sectors, I want as much diversification as I can reasonably get.

-ERD50
I was not looking for information. I was sharing information. A popular fund that was closed for three years has re-opened, and nobody else mentioned it.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was not looking for information. I was sharing information. A popular fund that was closed for three years has re-opened, and nobody else mentioned it.
It is much appreciated.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Am I blind? I can't find the dividend yield on this fund. You'd think it would be prominently displayed in a high dividend fund.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I considered it. Wish I had. Instead I dropped some money into WORK. Hoping earnings pops it up above my $40 strike.

Can't win em all. Vdigx would have been safer n smarter.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Am I blind? I can't find the dividend yield on this fund. You'd think it would be prominently displayed in a high dividend fund.
I use Marketwatch and other sites.
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/vdigx

Not really a high dividend at this time.

I'm using SCHD, which is closer to 3%. Kinda middle of the road, I think. Has more companies (100).

When the crash comes we can brag about high yield we hold, right?
Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

I'm using SCHD, which is closer to 3%. Kinda middle of the road, I think. Has more companies (100).

I'm using SPYD. 4.63%.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, thanks. But when I read "Did anyone else establish a position? ", I took it that you were looking for feedback/analysis of this fund, so that's just why I mentioned it would be helpful to you to provide a ticker, link, something other than what appears to be a generic name (even though it turned out to be a specific name, but how would I know that?). Sorry it turned into as big a deal as it did, I just really thought you'd get more feedback with a bit more info/background.

Quote:

It does seem odd that a fund by this name would have a lower div than SPY or other S&P 500 fund (1.77% versus SPY at 1.82% ?).

Quote:

We will see. SCHD doesn't have much history, but some of these other div funds really didn't do much different than SPY or VTI (Total market).

VDIGX did seem to hold up slightly better if you measure from the peaks, but since inception it has mostly lagged a bit:

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?SPY,VDIGX (set the slider to "ALL").

-ERD50
Old 08-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They give an SEC yield of 1.84% as of 7/31/19 on the first page of the fund. That spec would be comparable to the S&P500 yield.

And under distributions, you can calculate the trailing yield of the fund yourself:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...ibutions/vdigx
Old 08-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They give an SEC yield of 1.84% as of 7/31/19 on the first page of the fund. That spec would be comparable to the S&P500 yield.

And under distributions, you can calculate the trailing yield of the fund yourself:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...ibutions/vdigx
Thanks. This is an oddly low yield, given the name of the fund. Though, to be fair, it is a dividend growth fund, not dividend yield fund, so time will tell if it's an appropriate name.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. This is an oddly low yield, given the name of the fund. Though, to be fair, it is a dividend growth fund, not dividend yield fund, so time will tell if it's an appropriate name.
This is not, in fact, a high dividend yield fund. This is a dividend growth fund - big difference. It targets companies expected to grow their dividends faster than average.

Vanguard has a high dividend yield fund - different fund. VHYAX with SEC yield on 7/31/19 of 3.37%.