Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Energy
Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard Energy

I would like some exposure to commodities and I'd rather keep all of my investments with VG. Do you think the VG energy fund (VGENX) is appropriate? Are many of its holdings included in other funds, such as S&P 500, Lg. Cap. Value...?
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vanguard Energy
Old 01-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's what Vgenx has done since 1999 - pretty good even considering the
down years of 2001-2002
1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 12-06
Total Return % 21.0 36.4 -2.6 -0.6 33.8 36.7 44.6 19.7
Beta = .99
I suppose it's appropriate to invest with this fund, although I don't have any money in it (I do have my IRA with Vang.).
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't know if it's appropriate for you or not, but the last time I checked that fund requires a minimum initial deposit of $25,000.

I've owned that fund and it's done well for me (so far), but I'm taking a hold position on it right now.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

didn't notice the minimum requirement, wow!,
the key words are "so far" it's done well, but who knows the future? not me.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Don't know if it's appropriate for you or not, but the last time I checked that fund requires a minimum initial deposit of $25,000.
Didn't see that either. It will be a while before I can afford it. Thanks!
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Can anyone suggest any other funds that would fulfill a "commodities asset class" requirement in accordance with Clyatt's theories?

I tried to get into one of the funds that he suggested (PCRIX) but it was closed.

ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit
Can anyone suggest any other funds that would fulfill a "commodities asset class" requirement in accordance with Clyatt's theories?
DJP
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We took the plunge with VGENX a few months ago. The $25K was stiff, and obviously would have preferred getting in a few years ago ... but I feel good about the additional exposure. It's up, it's down ... it's commodities ... generally been a winner for us, though a big drop would not shock me ... we'd just DCA in a bit more.

I can tell you this ... when you have even just a little dedicated oil investment, those gas price increases at the pump don't feel so bad.

Different subject, but I wish Vanguard would open up their health care fund. Thinking of DCA'ing into their REIT soon ... which will of course trigger a sell off / decline.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

diversify!

nords helped me overcome my fears...

THANKS NORDS! 8)
Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

This fund has averaged 16.5% over the last 10 years. A very good return when compared with 8.3% in the S&P 500. We use this fund to offset the increased
cost of diesel for our motorhome.

We also invest in the Vanguard Health Care fund for the same reason, up 16.4% over the last 10 years.

Dave
Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I tried to get into one of the funds that he suggested (PCRIX) but it was closed.

Where do you see that PCRIX is closed?
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
Where do you see that PCRIX is closed?
Maybe I am mistaken. I remember that when I investigated his suggestions one of the funds was closed to new investors and one had too high of a minimum requirement for me. Maybe PCRIX is the one that had the really high minimum requirement.

ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in VGENX and also holding.

I get additional commodity exposure via DBC, Deutsche Bank Commodity ETF. It's an index tracking fund composed of futures contracts on six physical commodities: light sweet crude oil (35%), heating oil (20%), aluminum (12.5%), corn (11.25%), wheat (11.25%), and gold (10%).

Expect lots of volatility but it seems to be an inexpensive way to have direct commodities exposure, beyond the oil and gas companies in VGENX.
Red-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe PCRIX is the one that had the really high minimum requirement.
Purchased directly, PCRIX has a high minimum. Bought through a broker like vanguard, its got a fairly low minimum.

When I had VGENX and gas was popping over three bucks a gallon, I used to tell my wife after filling up "its okay, we made 38k on our energy holdings last year..."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Vanguard's health care has a $25,000 minimun. I've had that fund and Energy for years .,
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Note than both Energy and Health are available as Vanguard ETFs (VDE for Energy, VHT for health). There is no minimum purchase for these (obviously if you buy too low an amount the stock trading commission will be significant).
pasttense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Make sure you check the ETF to see if it matches the vanguard fund of a similar name or tracks a passive index. IIRC the energy and health etf's track an index and are not etf equivalents of the actively managed vanguard funds.

The indexing piece may be part of the reason why the fees are lower, but both the indexing and lower fees may be part of the attraction.

Just dont mistake that you're buying an ETF version of the actual fund, just at a lower cost and minimum.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasophia
I would like some exposure to commodities and I'd rather keep all of my investments with VG. Do you think the VG energy fund (VGENX) is appropriate? Are many of its holdings included in other funds, such as S&P 500, Lg. Cap. Value...?
Energy represents 9.63% of the index components in the S&P 500. In addition to VGENX, you can always open a brokerage account with Vanguard so that you can access commodities ETFs.

Tags
vanguard