Vanguard Enhanced Security Image

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Well I finally got the message from VG to hop online and select my security image. I did so and I guess it is all good.

I still do not undestrand how this image should make me sleep better at night. I think I only sleep better if my AA is cooking along just as I think it should be.

Vanguard advised me in June that this new security feature was coming soon and I have anxiously awaited it's arrival. Now that it's here, I feel complete! :cool: :cool:

mickeyd said:
I still do not undestrand how this image should make me sleep better at night. I think I only sleep better if my AA is cooking along just as I think it should be.

mickeyd,

I think this is how it works:

1) bad person hacks into your ISP [comcast, etc.]

2) they redirect all traffic from an online broker like Ameritrade.com to their fake Ameritrade website

3) you login and they've got your info

IIRC, if you go to log on to your account at Vanguard, and you don't see the picture, you're not at Vanguard's site.

- Alec

Not only that, but Vanguard has added a tracking cookie to their site. If you log on from a computer which isn't your normal one it will ask you additional security questions before allowing you to log on.

Just checked and I've still got no enhanced security. Page #1 is login ID, Page #2 is password, and that's it....no picture, no question. They must be phasing in the security measures starting with their high dollar clients. :-\

scrinch said:
Just checked and I've still got no enhanced security.  Page #1 is login ID, Page #2 is password, and that's it....no picture, no question.  They must be phasing in the security measures starting with their high dollar clients.   :-\
Or else your money's not really with Vanguard!

Or else your money's not really with Vanguard!

Maybe I've been logging into a bogus site all this time, and the money was long ago fleeced from the real account at Vanguard. :eek: If that's the case, then I'm just going to make like an ostrich and poke my head back into the sand. I'd rather believe it is still there for a while longer, thanks.

Just checked and I've still got no enhanced security.  Page #1 is login ID, Page #2 is password, and that's it....no picture, no question.  They must be phasing in the security measures starting with their high dollar clients. 

I received an email from them a couple of days ago (Fri?) advising me that the next time that I loged in I would have to set it up.

Yes, I'm quite sure that I'm one of their elite ('high dollar" as you put it) clients since they spare no expense in mailing me all kinds of crap on a regular basis. 8)

Is it just me or can no one else ever read those security images well.

Maybe my father was right and im going blind.

I'm quite sure that I'm one of their elite ('high dollar" as you put it) clients since they spare no expense in mailing me all kinds of crap on a regular basis
  :D  :D :D guess i'm rich too

I did mine today. - I was having trouble trying to figure out which security questions I should use. I settled on First Girlfrend's name - My memory could be a little faulty here. - I hope I remember. :confused:

Cut-Throat said:
I did mine today. - I was having trouble trying to figure out which security questions I should use. I settled on First Girlfrend's name - My memory could be a little faulty here. - I hope I remember. :confused:

I did mine two days ago.

I picked questions I was sure my husband would know the answer to in case there was any problem. So make sure someone else knows that Girlfriend's name.

FWIW, Bank of America has something similar. I have not seen Vanguard's, but BofA lets you select a photo and then you give the photo a title. When logging in, its supposed to be like a "conversation", i.e. you put in username, system response is your photo, then you put in password, and system logs you in. It doesn't feel very secure, but I guess its an improvement. Is that how Vanguard works?

jazz4cash said:
FWIW, Bank of America has something similar. I have not seen Vanguard's, but BofA lets you select a photo and then you give the photo a title. When logging in, its supposed to be like a "conversation", i.e. you put in username, system response is your photo, then you put in password, and system logs you in. It doesn't feel very secure, but I guess its an improvement. Is that how Vanguard works?

Yes, it works the same way. The purpose of the image is that it's hard for another site that's making an attempt to hijacking to produce the same image and the name.

Back
Top Bottom