Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
I must admit I think Fidelity's online site is slightly easier to navigate, but otherwise I'm ok with either one. With Vanguard I've not found a way to integrate DW's portfolio with mine...but then I've never asked them if it's possible. When you're a "buy and hold" person...you only look online about twice a year.
There is a way to get your DW's portfolios displayed alongside yours on your vanguard.com login. It has been years since I did so, but I did it. Call a vanguard rep and ask what forms you should submit. I want to say it was a "limited power of attorney" or "limited trading authorization" or something to that effect, but that may be what we did at Fidelity. Not sure if vanguard lets you see your DW's 401k (if she has one at Vanguard) but I know at Fidelity they will not display DW's employer related accounts on my login ID (in her case it is 401k and HSA).

Having all household accounts on my one login at vanguard makes getting a downloadable excel file with all current portfolio positions really easy (2 clicks after I log in).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Me too. I've been with Schwab for over 20 years and so far, so good. If you haven't discovered this yet, you can ask Schwab to set up your account to trade Vanguard funds commission free.
I'm at Schwab. How do I do this? Thanks.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
There is a way to get your DW's portfolios displayed alongside yours on your vanguard.com login. It has been years since I did so, but I did it. Call a vanguard rep and ask what forms you should submit. I want to say it was a "limited power of attorney" or "limited trading authorization" or something to that effect, but that may be what we did at Fidelity. Not sure if vanguard lets you see your DW's 401k (if she has one at Vanguard) but I know at Fidelity they will not display DW's employer related accounts on my login ID (in her case it is 401k and HSA).

Having all household accounts on my one login at vanguard makes getting a downloadable excel file with all current portfolio positions really easy (2 clicks after I log in).
Thank you Fuego, I'll look into this. I'll be calling VG anyway soon...I had a late IRA contribution for 2011 and need to do some quick shuffling in the next 1-2 weeks.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
There is a way to get your DW's portfolios displayed alongside yours on your vanguard.com login.
You can also use "Account aggregation" on VG if you have used it in the past (it's closed to new enrollments).

It will show you your VG accounts (both yours/DW's) and any/all outside accounts (such as FIDO) if you wish. It's similar to FIDO's "Full View" but in this case the information can be/is ported over to VG's FE (Financial Engines) tool...

Link to info: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/hel...Content.jsp#1a
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
You can also use "Account aggregation" on VG if you have used it in the past (it's closed to new enrollments).

It will show you your VG accounts (both yours/DW's) and any/all outside accounts (such as FIDO) if you wish. It's similar to FIDO's "Full View" but in this case the information can be/is ported over to VG's FE (Financial Engines) tool...

Link to info: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/hel...Content.jsp#1a
This is what I do and it is very easy to use. All you need is the account login details for the other accounts. They get updated automatically every 24 hrs, and you can always click "refresh accounts", if you wish, for an immediate update.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is what I do and it is very easy to use. All you need is the account login details for the other accounts. They get updated automatically every 24 hrs, and you can always click "refresh accounts", if you wish, for an immediate update.
Alan - I have this set up but all my updates from outside financial sites have "broken" in the past year or two when they went to requiring a two-step login process (the kind where you look at the picture on the 2nd screen, just like VGs). Have you faced the same issue?
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Alan - I have this set up but all my updates from outside financial sites have "broken" in the past year or two when they went to requiring a two-step login process (the kind where you look at the picture on the 2nd screen, just like VGs). Have you faced the same issue?
I'm not Alan , but DW's accounts (two screen signon) works fine, for me on the VG side, along with FIDO's single screen signon.

Same thing for the FIDO side (full view), which imports four different IRA accounts for me/DW from VG.

Of course, FIDO uses Yodlee code "under the covers", so if it can be imported using Yodlee, it will work for FIDO imports. FE uses a different product for account access.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just tried this and something's not right. It basically asks me to enter the # shares and symbol, then adds it to the page. It does not give me any opportunity to select my wife's VG fund. What if she buys more shares....it won't show on my screen. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just tried this and something's not right. It basically asks me to enter the # shares and symbol, then adds it to the page. It does not give me any opportunity to select my wife's VG fund. What if she buys more shares....it won't show on my screen. I must be doing something wrong.
Call Vanguard and ask the rep. They probably need an authorization from your wife for you to see her accounts. On my logon I see our joint taxable account as well as her IRA. I can do transaction in the joint account but not her IRA. She has to logon directly to her account to do transactions in her IRA. I believe we did this with a call to VG. I also have the feature where you add shares from external accounts to do a total portfolio analysis but you have to manually update those shares.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I also have the feature where you add shares from external accounts to do a total portfolio analysis but you have to manually update those shares.
You should not have to if you use the "link outside accounts" feature (if you are authorized).

DW/me have seven different accounts (between VG/FIDO) and all link/update to current holding/values under my account view.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You should not have to if you use the "link outside accounts" feature (if you are authorized).

DW/me have seven different accounts (between VG/FIDO) and all link/update to current holding/values under my account view.
Thanks, I forgot that. Thinking back I realize I chose not to link the outside accounts. I am leery of sharing account login data between sites. That is why I don't use sites like Mint.com and never allowed Quicken to access my financial accounts.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM View Post
I'm at Schwab. How do I do this? Thanks.
I'll send you a PM.......
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #33

Quote:

But in my case, the "outside" accounts are at VG! Do they still consider that an "outside" account?

I'm on the phone with VG now, but they won't do much without my DW being on the phone too....and she's not available (probably making out her bucket list for when we FIRE ).

I'll update later.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
But in my case, the "outside" accounts are at VG! Do they still consider that an "outside" account?
I would think any account that you don't own jointly, or have legal access to (via POA) would be considered "outside". Of course, I'm not VG and that's just my opinion ...

Yes, having your DW/DH around to give an okey dokey to the person on the other end of the phone is a PIA, but then I understand where there are a lot of "family situations" that would not allow such easy sharing of information.

I still remember the problems we had transfering DW's 403(b) (from a j*b, 20 years ago) to VG as a rollover to her TIRA. We learned a lot concerning the fact that a 403(b) is not the same (legally) as a 401(k) and involved a lot of paperwork outside of what you would think is just a normal rollover between "like" financial products. I could not do a thing until she would get home from w*rk to give her approval to the folks at VG and her 403(b) provider.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #35

Update:

It's called an "agent authorization". The person who's account will be viewed is the one that must initiate, so my DW had to log into her account and say "I want to give permission to Dave". Then, I logged into my account and I had a "message" saying Terry wanted to give me permission, did I want to accept this? I said "No, I don't trust that person".

Just kidding...

It's all set up, and now I can see all info in one place. Took about 10 minutes total. For some reason the balance seems bigger when it's all together.

Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Update: I decided to go on Vanguard site to try this again today. After a bunch of attempts I found that I couldn't do it from the main screen view but finally ended up with a pop-up window that gave me my "security questions" from the outside site and it's all hunky dory again. Unfortunately, it was an odd sequence of selections that got me there so I'm not sure I can reproduce it if something changes.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was surprised last year my fidelity funds had done better than Vanguards'.

However, Vanguard regains the place in the sun in my book. After the wild gyrations in the market in the last 10 days, both my own portfolio and Fidelty Funds are still down from the levels 2 weeks ago, but Vanguard was up. I still think Fidelity's out performance last year may be a fluke.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
I was surprised last year my fidelity funds had done better than Vanguards'.

However, Vanguard regains the place in the sun in my book. After the wild gyrations in the market in the last 10 days, both my own portfolio and Fidelty Funds are still down from the levels 2 weeks ago, but Vanguard was up. I still think Fidelity's out performance last year may be a fluke.

i like troweprice