Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

VG pretty much all the way now (I moved old 401K's to IRAs to VG a couple of years ago and any new saved investment money is going there.) My current 401K is at Fidelity so there is some split but to me it is easier to go to only a couple of places to check asset allocations, etc.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 full auto deduct to PrimeMM. A few Norwegian widow stocks in VG broker to putz with when it's not football season.

Still have one file drawer of DRIP stocks I haven't yet canceled and transfered to VG and some coins in safety deposit - to treat hormone flare-ups.

heh heh heh - 16 years of ER - maybe I'll get around to the rest (put in VG) or not. No rush..
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

But what if some hacker hacks into Vanguard, and all accounts are frozen for a week or two? I am just thinking if the Chinese government can hack into Google, there is no reason hackers can't hack into Vanguard...

[Just a hypothetical, I don't think it's actually gonna happen, but what if??]
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yes, anything can happen, but for the sake of organization and consolidation, I'm willing to take the chance.

For the same reason that when I use computer software (Turbotax) to file my taxes, I stick only with Turbotax as opposed to spreading my "safety" by filing some years with Turbotax and others with Taxcut or another program.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Here's a link to a thread that links to a thread that has a quote from an old thread on this topic:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post761659

From an article (no longer available) on Vanguard's site:

Diversifying by fund family: Limited benefits

Another misapplication of Sancho Panza's advice is investing with more than one fund company to protect against the risk that financial troubles in one fund will infect the fund family's other funds.

Such a scenario is impossible. Each mutual fund is its own corporation. A problem at one mutual fund wouldn't affect another, even if both were managed by the same company. If you own two funds from the same fund family, you have, in effect, put your eggs in two different corporate baskets. In addition, mutual funds are required by law to keep fund assets with a third-party custodian, large well-capitalized banks hired to safeguard shareholder assets. Daily checks are made between mutual funds and their custodians to make sure that assets are where they're supposed to be. The custodian banks, in turn, carry insurance coverage on their own to cover losses of securities and cash in their possession. And Vanguard, like most mutual fund companies, carries substantial insurance resources to protect against any illegal acts. (Thanks to Vanguard's vigorous fraud-protection efforts, though, we have never had to draw on this insurance.)

What about risks to your fund company's recordkeeping and administrative operations? Vanguard's approach has been to develop extensive contingency plans, backup systems, and multiple geographic locations. The Vanguard® funds' trustees are continually working with Vanguard's leadership to ensure that our operations are the industry's most secure.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
But what if some hacker hacks into Vanguard, and all accounts are frozen for a week or two? I am just thinking if the Chinese government can hack into Google, there is no reason hackers can't hack into Vanguard...

[Just a hypothetical, I don't think it's actually gonna happen, but what if??]

I would be more worried that it would happen to my bank... I make payments to vendors etc. from my checking account all the time.. Some of them do not like being paid late (fees, higher interest etc.)....

I can live without getting into Vanguard for a two week period almost all the time... the one time that I might need to get in there is probably not going to line up with the Chinese hack....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
... I agree with ziggy about their brokerage costs, but it is so nice to have it all under the same roof and I do not trade much at all.
Ed, just curious...how can you trade at all with Vanguard, as a Canadian resident? Their policy against letting residents of Canada do any trading led me to transfer all my assets to Fido. Fidelity is fully aware of my Canadian residency/US citizenship and lets me trade 'til the cows come home.
Red_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

I recently moved everything from Fidelity to Vanguard. I am a indexed guy that re balances annually or when needed. When in Fidelity I kept looking at Vanguard's superior performance in a fund to fund comparison and then the final straw was realizing Fidelity's answer for a Tips fund was way more expensive and much less "pure" than Vanguard's. So I switched it all to Vanguard, re balance with no fees whenever I want and feel much more confident that the indexing is really pure indexing.
Mickslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
I recently moved everything from Fidelity to Vanguard.
The Johnson family is in morning.

Great move for you, though!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
The Johnson family is in morning.
morning or mourning?

Sorry, couldn't help myself
tsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

As good as any..better than some... but as soon as LT Treasuries start paying 8% or more? They'll be handling alot less of my $..

Or can get a 20 yr, 6% Muni...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You'd think people would be more discreet about admitting they have their entire nest eggs in one place what with identity theft and whatnot. I suppose the fact that so many have admitted to doing so in spite of the risk means it's real that people are consolidating.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote